Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

CEN MG16 Exhaust Fix

Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 PM
digout

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default CEN MG16 Exhaust Fix

My new MG16 did not seem to perform very well for a .15 engine so I tried changing out the stock exhaust to see if that would help. I found an old exhaust manifold from a CEN Sedan (G70322) that fit in the chassis and added a one piece CD3 pipe. The original can type exhaust system had major oil leaks because there was no sealing in the pipe chamber. I took it to a local test track to see if these changes would help. What I found was the power almost doubled from the same engine. Now the MG16 is fun to drive.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51416.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	741622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35329.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	741623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61088.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	741624  
Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM
The Real Dogman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: CEN MG16 Exhaust Fix

Dang those little trucks are cute!!! I bet they are fun as all get out!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:39 PM
webdr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The left rear doesnt hit the pipe?

Ya done good! I was wondering how I could add a tuned pipe to mine, too late now though, Ive got it for sale in the classifieds...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:38 PM
digout

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The left rear tire does not contact the exhaust pipe. Luckily the suspension travel limiter stops it first and the tires being used are a little smaller in diameter. The body will fit with this setup with a small amount of trimming. A Tsais nitro devil type exhaust would probably fit up better. Next I am working on finding a 6v 5 cell NiMH battery that will fit in the battery box with minimal trimming. So far the Hobbico6346 looks good.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:31 AM
mrarc2002

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've ran probably 8 tanks through my MG16, all this time I thought it was running good. But then I saw this video on youtube.com and the one that was in the video was flying - now looking at mine, it's though it really tries to move but's having difficulty.

Could it be the pipe's no good or is there any adjustments you could recomend before investing in a new pipe?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:57 PM
digout

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Cen MG 16 canister pipe robs a lot of power from the .15 engine. Also it has NO canister sealing and the oil goes all over the back of the Mini. CEN's MG16 upgrades should include a entirely new exhaust system! The only adjustment when running the stock canister exhaust I would recommend is just keep leaning it out till the power picks up; then back off 1/8 turn. I just tried the Hobbico battery and it fits great! With a little cover creation now I can use a NiMH (1400MAH) battery. I will show Pics of battery cover next.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:09 PM
muck76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am very much looking forward to your pics. I just picked up a MG16 on ebay and it should be here friday.
2 things i want to change are the exhaust and battery.
I was thinking side exhaust but i wanted it to look good too.
I tried searching towers for the pack and it came up blank... got a link?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:00 PM
digout

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Hobbico 1400MAH (HCAM6346) NiMH battery can be bought at ServoCity or Toyhaus .com. The battery works fine so I went ahead and made a cover/retainer for it so that it can remain securely in place. A side exhaust might fit using a very small pipe like the Tower one for the ST15 (#9205). CEN really should let us know what other exhaust set-ups might work in their upcoming up-grades. Also it would be great if a larger .18 engine could fit in this chassis or the MG10TR. Right now I do not see how any other small block engine will fit the MG16 or MG10 chassis due to the CEN .15 having a unusually small diameter flywheel, close transmission/engine brace and an oddly extended SG crankshaft design.

Name:	Ge94406.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	747280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27578.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	747281  
Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 PM
muck76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Won't CEN's 18 fit, from looking at manuals the cranks looks simular.
I am still waiting for mine ot arrive so i can get further into it.

With a different pipe set up, does it really need a bigger displacment engine?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:13 PM
digout

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The CEN Magnum .18 engine will not fit because it uses a rotary carb and it's crank is not configured to accept the MG16 flywheel. My Jammin .5CRT has a .18 TM in it and I wanted the CEN MG16 to go as fast. Adding an .18 engine to the MG16 will be a challenge due the requirement to have a small flywheel, engine/transmission brace clearance and the MG 16 odd carb angle that is needed to clear the brake linkage.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:39 PM
muck76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I talked with CEN today and they are working on an adapter for other make enignes like the OS 18CVR with slide carb and short crank.

He also said they had opened up a normal 5 cell RX back and reconfigured it to fit in the stock box. I am going to try this weekend also.

I have been doing some measuring and i think a stock .15 nitro stampede exhaust system will work. I am watching one on ebay to win. Keep you postedon what i find.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:26 PM
R/C Lightweight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Graet mods on your MG-16! I took an old Losi 6 cell mini-T pack and made it fit in my MG-16. Just removed 1 cell, reworked the layout, and it works great (had to trim out the battery box quite a bit though) How did you get rid of the rear tire lean problem on yours, and what tires are in those pics? Looks great. My exhaust leaks unbelievably as well. What a mess after running in sandy dirt!!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:38 PM
muck76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

R/C can you get some picks of the battery set up you use? Does your cover fit flush like stock?
thanks
Old 08-27-2007, 09:27 PM
R/C Lightweight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Camera battery is kaput, sorry I'm without the pics. But, I had to cut out a section of the cover to let the Losi pack recess a bit so that it wasn't putting pressure on the driveshaft. I won't lie to you, it was quite a bit of trimming and grinding, but the result is that I don't have to change the AAs out after every 2 tanks. I've run approx 9 tanks on one full charge of the modified 5 cell pack, and it still had plenty of juice. AA setup really stinks. I got so tired of changing batteries so often that I didn't care if I hacked up the battery box for the sake of stronger servo response and lasting run times. I wish I could show you what it looks like but my digital camera is currently without a battery charger. I know a picture is worth a 1000 words, but I hope this helped a little.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 PM
muck76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yep sure did. I tried to use my rechargeable AAs and they got about 3 tanks before the failsafe kicked in.
I broke apart my 5 cell hpi hump pack to make a batt for it. Problem is hte coating on the individual cells came oof to exposing the metal shell. SO i need to recover first.

On another thought for all, where are your carb settings at, mainly the LSN and idle. My lsn is about 1 turn in from flush and my idle gap is about 2 mm.
Seems the only way to get it to idle with out dieing. Still seems a bit rich on the lsn yet.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 PM
R/C Lightweight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My LSN is just a hair out from flush ( approx .5-1mm), not sure about idle (haven't messed w/ it from stock setting) I wondered if it was just my MG-16 that wouldn't idle for very long. Sounds like this is common for this engine? I have to keep gassin' it to keep it from stalling after about 5-6 seconds. Maybe I should lean out my LSN to where yours is? I called CEN about car settings and the tech guy said that generally speaking, most notro engines won't idle for very long without feathering the throttle because they load up and become to rich to maintain even idle. I have an OFNA LD3 touring car that will idle as long as I sit there. So I don't know what to make of it. My CEN was my first nitro. It would be nice to be able to refuel without it stalling! One last thing, did you add the failsafe, or was it installed RTR with your MG-16? Mine sure didn't have one factory. But mine was one of the early production units. Do you have a rear tire lean in problem too?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:52 PM
muck76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have my lsn leaned out more tonight and it idles fine now. Still wish it had more bottom end punch. i tested the LSN mixture by the pinch test and it raises idles after about 2 seconds and dies with in 5 seconds. For what this truck is, it will work. My picco in my revo idles for a while before it lods up and dies. I dislike when the CEN does it becuase the carb makes the fuel back flow and it can be a pain to start once it dies.
You can raise the idle some too but i would start with the lsn first.
If you are not familiar with the pinch test, on traxxas web site find an engine and look at its manual. I twill tell you there.

I did coil up more fuel line for the carb by the fuel tank to help when it is upside down. I'll have to add pics later.

I am still working on a different pipe. TRying to get some one to measure thier CRT .5 pipe so i can see if it will fit as a side pipe with a different header.

Yes i have the camber lean also. Once i run different tires i will fix that with metal tie rods from traxxas. I have not measured them up to see what matches yet. I do know a front spring from a rustler fits this shock set up though.

Radio/failsafe, not sure. i never tried it when i got the truck. No manual with it either. I automatically put my futaba FM radio system in it with a smaller receiver so i could fit a failsafe in it. I wil lhave to test eh stocker now that you mentioned it.

I figured out the cell configuration tonight and glued them together. I just need to solder the bars and finish it.

This truck to me is something to keep me in the hobby. I am starting college full time and working nights next week and not going to have time for My revo and such any more. BTW my revo is on ebay if any one is looking. I had a fresh gallon of fuel and i did not want it to go to waste. For the 100 i paid for this truck it is well worth it. Even if i paid full price i still think it is.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:22 PM
digout

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Muck76 you were correct that the .15 nitro stampede exhaust would fit up. It looks and fits like original! I will try it out this weekend to see how much it helps. Another thing to try to gain a little more speed is to remove the metal wheel bushings and install wheel bearings. I was wondering way the truggy had trouble coasting. The MG16 will gain more acceleration and top speed changing out the bushings to bearings. My Hobbico 1450 MAH battery and custom flat plastic cover works great!

Name:	Mk26042.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	752818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57496.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	752819  
Old 08-29-2007, 08:43 PM
digout

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another troublesome thing I found with the MG16 is the clutch bell with the splined pinion to bell assembly have all (my MG10TR included) come loose. This was one probable cause why the engine was running too hot (280F). Disappointedly all the clutch springs have somehow too much factory stretch therefore causing the shoes to contact way too early thus hurting possible good acceleration's. I changed them out with the CEN Magnum bells and springs which are much better.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:07 PM
muck76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the heads up Digout. Glad to see my idea of the pede pipe fits. Definetly let us know how it performs. I am hoping to see some better bottom end out of it due to a little more flow.
So i have to ask, is that pipe the one that was on ebay? I was watching one till pay day and i see it went before i could jump on it.

CB, thanks for the info, I may try my extra revo clutch/spring on it to see if that is my bottom end issue i am looking at. I may even try a traxxas CB instead of the magnum version. TRaxxas uses a bigger bearing also.

Speaking of CB and clutches. I replied to your post on the CEN forum. I think a 18CVR with standard crank shaft and pull start will fit using a SP34 pilot shaft from CEN. A pede pilot shaft from a pro 15 may also. According to the pics in OS the 18 comes with the prop washer and the crank length looks fine. You would just reuse the stock flywheel. I may try that eventually. right now no money to buy a 100 engine to experiment.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:48 PM
muck76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

update on my post, traxxas clutchs parts are smaller. Thought an Ofna CB would work, but not the case. Same circumfrances but a little taller bell.
Digout, can you give us the part numbers you used for the CB. In the parts book for the magnum is shows a single speed CB but the spring is the same part number as the MG16.

thansk
Old 09-01-2007, 11:36 PM
digout

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am using the stock MG16 CB for now with a clutch spring from a Magnum 10. An upgrade Magnum CB for a single speed trany will work. The Magnum and MG16 does use the same clutch spring except that all my MG16s springs were bad from the beginning.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Mr Terminator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Are the Stampede .15 pipes still available to buy from new and if so where can I get one..? That looks factory that does,good job Muck for the find and good job digout for the fit...
Old 01-13-2008, 09:01 PM
muck76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The pede pipe did not do much for the engine according to Digout.

My experiences with the TC3 pipe off the back was also too much stuff that would scrape when it wheelied. My current set up of dual stock muffler seemed to work the best for me. The link i Pm'd you has that info in it.
but if you want to try it, all the parts are available threw Tower Hobbies, ebay, and your local LHS. every thing besides ebay is separate parts and you would just have to go threw the list of parts to find it. Other wise hop on traxxas' site and down load the rear end parts page. It should have the part numbers on it.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Mr Terminator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Shame that there was no power hike,I just PM'd you.I forget about the time difference and thought youd be asleep.2.10am here you see.Ill do what you did then and it still looks great.Maybe some chrome tips for the deflectors? I also saw somewhere another bodyshell on a MG16 but dont remember if it was on here or not,this forum is huge...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service