Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

Tuning the NX3.0/.18 motor

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Tuning the NX3.0/.18 motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:42 PM
jarheadatunm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning the NX3.0/.18 motor

Hi all. My son just bought the new Talon with the NX3.0/0.18 motor. Did the break (idle portion) for the 3 tanks and now am working on tuning it for performance. From the start, I suspected that the needles are not right... During the idle, it was pouring oil out of the pipe while running! But I figured that was normal for this rather odd break-in procedure (I am used to Associated and Traxxas procedures) since you want a lot of lubrication. So I downloaded the book for the motor and it suggests the following needle testings: 1 in from flush for low and 3 out for high. So I checked the low-end and it was about half in from flush, so I turned it another half and still poured fuel. So I kept working it down until it would start easily, run without keeping the glow-ignitor kept on and maintain a decent idle. Using the "pinch test" for the fuel line about 1-2 inches from the carb (leaned out and stalled after about 3 seconds) I ended up with almost 4 full turns in! The car runs fine and transitions nicely from idle to high end. For the high-end, I ended up about 2 turns out from bottom and again, it runs fine. Does this make sense for others running this motor? It seems that the needle settings for the .15 motor make more sense (I downloaded that booklet from the CEN site as well). The motor is running a little warm using the water test, but not too bad IMO. Anybody with information, please comment. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2009, 03:04 PM
jarheadatunm

Default RE: Tuning the NX3.0/.18 motor

Bump...
Old 04-25-2009, 04:41 PM
dar123

well, if it isn`t running to hot. and is running well the i think your good!
Old 04-25-2009, 06:10 PM
jarheadatunm

That's my feeling as well. I just was wondering if anyone had experience with this same scenario. It seems very odd that their recommended settings could be so far off! I can understand a half turn, but 4 full turns... Thanks for the reply