Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Engine Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 AM
chriscgm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Help!

Hey guys, I have a Cen Gensis, the version that came with the Nemesis... with a blown engine.
Basically a few days ago when I was bashing my truck, I needed to change the glow plug. By mistake I attached the new one wrongly, and damadged the thread on the head button. When I was running it, the glow plug literally blew off of the engine. I didnt know what the problem was, until I tried to attach it back again, when I find that I couldn't screw it in since the screw thread was damadged.
When I went home I took apart the cooling head and removed the button, and went to buy a new one.

The retailer warned me that there might be metal filings inside of the engine, and that if I didn't clean it up correctly, I may damadge the engine. That's exactly what I did, but more of that later. Today I took it apart, try to clean it with fuel and rid it of the metal filings. As I was doing that some bits got out and I thought that it was ok. I assembled the engine, attached it to the truck and tried to start it. It started immidiately , and proceeded to drive it in circles in my backyard. When I revved up the engine for quite some time, it stopped abruptly. I went over to see what wrong and found that I couldnt pull the pullstart, it was literally jammed.

After some time to let it cool, I proceeded to take it apart and as soon I took the cooling head off and removed to glow plug button, i saw that the inside was full of bits of metal. I cleaned it up as I could, removed the backplate assembly and tried to push the piston out of the engine. As I tried to nudge the piston rod it literally came off the piston, and with great force I pushed the sleeve out of the engine, the piston still attached to it.

After this ordeal, what do u reccommend? Buy a new piston + sleeve, clean the engine, assemble everything; or should I buy a new engine? If I go for the first option, how can I clean it properly and be sure that there are no metal bits inside?

Appreciate your help

Chris
Old 06-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Malmuerte

Default RE: Engine Help!

Well, if you replace the piston and sleeve you should be able to clean it thoroughly.  You might remove the carburator and clean it out also. 

Personally I'd just buy a new one. 
Old 06-17-2010, 04:03 PM
chriscgm

I have a couple of questions if i follow the buying a new one route..

1) should i stick with the nx77? or not?
2) is there an engine that could deliver as much power as the stock? (i.e. adequate for the genesis?)
3) should i keep stock tuned pipe or buy another?
4) i was looking at the nitro star k5.9 and stock tuned pipe. thoughts?
Old 06-19-2010, 05:28 PM
wolfie1

thats unlucky about ur engine, if im not mistaken if u were going to put that engine in you would need to change the engine mount, use the clutch bell from the corsa and a couple of other things i reckon this engine would prob be ur cheapest alternative to the original cen engine

Force .46 Engine ABC Rear Exhaust & Pullstart (SG Shaft)
Part No: 4476550

In Stock
Available by Special Order £94.50

its available from modelsport uk hope this helps but i would speak to them first just to make sure it fits without having to change anything cause if you did have to change heaps of stuff like you would for the k5.9 you would be as well fitting an lrp zr30 spec 2 engine
Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a nice OS engine to drop in. I did that with my Fun Factor and never looked back. NX16 was meh, crank snapped, threw an OS .18 CV-RX in and it's never had traction since