RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   CEN Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/)
-   -   12mm to 14mm hex wheel adapter DrHonda? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cen-racing-310/3532034-12mm-14mm-hex-wheel-adapter-drhonda.html)

cenracer1 11-19-2005 03:04 PM

RE: 12mm to 14mm hex wheel adapter DrHonda?

just placed a good size order thru offshore electronics.. I like these guys and their shipping is quick... they are in boston and I live in jersey... Only problem is they only stock the common parts.... Still waiting on the hexes so I can order the wheels and tires...

alvinl 11-19-2005 03:18 PM

Great! That is good news because they have about the cheapest prices on CEN stuff. Unfortunately, I just ordered about $300 worth of stuff and had to go to 3 vendors to get it plus 2 Ebay orders. I am sure I would have saved a bit by using Ehobbies. Thanks for the info, I will check their site.

rolland 11-19-2005 09:36 PM

Please remember the extra stress the maxx size wheels and tires will have on the stock CVD's.
I would hate to see you put all of that money into something and not be aware of the possible problems.

Dr Honda, you might want to include some form of disclaimer about the potential problems of using these on a stock FF.

rolland

poor judgement 11-19-2005 10:29 PM

ive tried warning them mate!

alvinl 11-19-2005 10:41 PM

I'll drive it like my grandmother going to church! I promise!

The good thing about the new tires and wheels, if I don't like them on my MT2 I can stick them on my Savage. It's a win win situation. Actually, most of the parts I bought were not for this mod. I finally decided to upgrade to the aluminum break seat, plug and disk on both the MT2 and ATX, a aluminum steering link for the ATX, 2 new sets of 2.2" tires and wheels for the ATX (still looking for that perfect combo for it), new failsafe and new tires for my new Romulin rims:D

The sad thing is, I have much more on my wish list[:o]

craigb 11-19-2005 10:49 PM

Well i just broke a drive using wide offset wheels [:@]

If only i can get hold of a lathe i could make some new ones from a higher grade steel:D only the end part tho (part the wheel is on) becuase its a simple part to make.

I actualy noticed my RC10GT Mip CVD's are a close fit to the cens! and them things are solid!

rolland 11-20-2005 01:09 AM

Before I did my buggy shaft swap I looked at the RC10 shafts but I felt they were to expensive to experiment with so I didn't try them. Another possibility is the Electric Stampede shiny cvd's but again they are kind of expensive to experiment with and both of them will still require adapters for Maxx size wheels. When you start getting into the after market chrome shafts for other trucks the cost for my swap or Poor Judgements swap isn't that much more. Both of these swaps are proven but if there are other alternatives myself and others definitley would like to know.
The other possible cvd mod that should work is the Duratrax swap that Cenracer1 mentioned if I had known about that swap I might have seriously considered it but it will still leave the problem of the weak diff cups.
I believe these are the parts Cenracer1 was mentioning,
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCTT0&P=7

I am just thinking aloud here, combined with these parts and some creative Dremeling (similar to Poor Judgements mod) it might be possible to eliminate the diff cups
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBCK3&P=0
But you will need to use T-Maxx knuckles and pillow balls or the Duratrax Thunder Quake knuckles and pillow balls.

Poor Judgement, I know that you warned them I just felt the need to re-state it especially when there was talk of spending a considerable amount of money buying parts.

rolland

azzman 11-20-2005 01:21 AM

Whats wrong with the stock diff cups?, after they are modded they are as strong as anything, I have broken many a dog bone/cvd but the (modded) diff cups are still going strong with only a bit of wear now.
So if theres something that can get rid of the stock dog bones/cvd but keep the diff cup, I will be happy with that.

BTW Dr H, hopefully I will have something for you soon....;)

azzman 11-20-2005 01:31 AM

In saying that IF CEN WOULD JUST MAKE THE PARTS OUT OF A DECENT GRADE STEEL IN THE FIRST PLACE WE WOULDNT BE HAVING THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:@]

rolland 11-20-2005 01:36 AM

Personally I have never broken a diff cup either but there are allot of posts about broken diff cups. I know the biggest problem with the diff cups is the size, they really limit the ability to use larger diameter cvd's which is the major reason I went with the buggy diff cups. On the second link that I posted, the ends of those cvd's will not fit in a FF diff cup and most of the possible options won't fit either.

As far as CEN using different grade steel to start with is correct on some parts but as far as the cvd's and dog bones are concerned I believe it is the diameter at the diff cup that is the problem.

rolland

azzman 11-20-2005 01:40 AM

Personally I have never broken a diff cup either
Are you talking modded or un-modded?

rolland 11-20-2005 01:45 AM

I modded my diff cups before I even ran the truck. The diff cups that I was using are the original cups that came with my truck.

rolland

poor judgement 11-20-2005 07:00 AM

some low profile tyres should help the shaft situation tho - ive got some komodo whatsernames, them low profile jobbies, on the way. i will post picks to compare to my brick pins when the komodos arrive (from US).

i managed half a tank (warm up) with the tmaxx brick pins before i broke a cen shaft - it was the outer part of the cvd too. that was the point where i gave up on cen shafts tbh. i was running the os18 at the time btw, and it was a small low speed cartwheel that broke it iirc, while running on grippy grass.

could just be my driving and throttle control, or the 18, or a combination of everything of course... i really hope it works out, but i would most definately recommend low profile, light weight tyres to help as much as poss with these stock shafts.

Dr Honda 11-20-2005 07:50 AM

Wow!! I don’t check this thread for a day… and it doubles in size.

Yes… I think a warning will be in order for this part. But I’m still going to produce it because it should fit a few of the Traxxas trucks as a replacement for the plastic drive hex.

Just as an FYI… I got the end mills I needed, and some aluminum stock… so I should have a prototype done in a day or two. I would do it today… but Sunday is my RC day. (I’m sure you guys understand) I just got a new FireHammer… So, I have to give it a good workout. And I made a new set of mixing arms for a Shogun heli to help with it’s 3D abilities. (Dolphin, Zoom, or Zap 400 for the guys over the pond) So I have to give that a few flights today. The mixing arms will also be a potential new product.

Oh… and after we get this part done… we may have to look at whatever the problem is with the drive axles. (dog bones, CVD’s or whatever it’s using)

poor judgement 11-20-2005 09:54 AM

Oh… and after we get this part done… we may have to look at whatever the problem is with the drive axles. (dog bones, CVD’s or whatever it’s using)
this is the one thing that pretty much everyone with a cen will want. i hope the machining costs work out to be viable... wish we had found u a long time ago DrH... these bloody shafts...

craigb 11-20-2005 12:21 PM

OH yes weeeee alllll need some descent axles, same diameter as the t-maxx ones... of course we will need to but larger I.D bearings, but think of the money you will save in the long run
and if you want to use the stock 12mm wheels all it will take is drilling out the hole in the hex and the wheel.... no biggie i guess[8D]

Or... We could all raid the place where cen are and throw our broken axles at them till they get the point :D

alvinl 11-20-2005 10:26 PM

I only got to run 1 1/2 tanks through my MT2 today before I broke another antennae tube and had to put it away. But the ARO shock towers held up great. So far no problems with the increased ride height. DrHonda, if you do tackle the CVD and differential cup issue, I think you will sell a few. One thing is for sure, you have NO competition!

rolland 11-21-2005 08:08 PM

Before we decide to have Dr Honda make some axles and diff cups we should wait to see how the new NX parts are going to work. Supposedly they will interchange with the FF's and if they are built better than the current ones there really won't be and issue.

rolland

craigb 11-21-2005 08:33 PM

I looked at the NX on CEN's site and it looks identical to the FF! only thing i can see this different is the fuel tank, engine, chassis! which is jolly good as i like blue and if it is all the same ill be buying that chassis if kill my FF one

But as the diffs and everything attached look the same as the FF cars then i have a feeling the shafts will be the same ones [:o]
Common cen surprise us :D

http://www.cenracing.com/cars/nx/magnum_nx.html

dustin7837 11-21-2005 10:10 PM

Yeah... I downloaded the manual for the magnum and looked it over pretty good. Shafts and cups look exactly like the FFs. Not sure what CEN means by all new drivetrain. Only new thing there is the engine.

azzman 11-21-2005 10:24 PM

Man, they must have upgraded them....one would hope....if they havent they have just lost all credibility with me...[:'(]

craigb 11-21-2005 10:31 PM

Me toooo i really hope the have beefed things up! if they have hopefully they fit(which im sure they will)
i likes the bullbars on that nx and the chassis! nice and neat :D

craigb 11-21-2005 10:48 PM

OH dear looks like its just the stock mt2 ones!!! look at page 16 on the nx Manuel first row 12th part up part# ffs003... same as the the ff
actually 90% of the parts are FF parts!!! they might as well called the new nx cars MT3, ST3 ect [:@]:(

Dr Honda 11-22-2005 10:21 AM

Hi Guys,

If the wife doesn’t have me doing stuff tonight… I’m going to try and make a couple prototypes of the wheel hexes tonight. So… I need a list of people who definitely want them. After I make the prototype, and see how many people want them… I can set the price. (the more people, the cheaper the alloy is)

Even if you posted before… post again so I can get an accurate list.

Thanks.

ppacy 11-22-2005 11:56 AM

I am in for 6 pieces (would like to keep 2 for spare as shipping will probably cost more than the value of parts)
It has been 3 weeks and I am still waiting for my shock towers.
Post sucks. If only we could transfer matter through e-mail !!!!!!!!!!