Search
Notices

Century Swift RTF

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 PM
MH701

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Century Swift RTF

Hi everybody! I'm new to the forum as well as Helis. I just purchased a Century Swift RTF and after reading here I see I will need to replace the electronics ASAP. So this is what I'm lookin at http://tiny.cc/wy1twand http://tiny.cc/e6juy
Are these a good choice? Will they work with the Swift RTF? Thanks for any insight
Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 PM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Century Swift RTF

Those will work very well. Earlier this summer, I helped set up that same gyro and radio set into a friends Swift combo:

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...&currentid=654

It s the new NX version of the Swift with a similar motor and ESC as found in your RTF.

It flew very well using the 4S/5000 Turnigy packs he had purchased for it.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:57 PM
MH701

Awesome, thanks!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM
MH701

Are there any upgrades that should happen before the TX, servos, and gyro?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:07 PM
rotor09

ORIGINAL: MH701

Are there any upgrades that should happen before the TX, servos, and gyro?
Not really, until you want to get into the more extreme 3D aerobatics.

Then, I would change to a higher powered system. One that can use 6S packs. Then you will find their 600+ motor with a 9T pinion and their 80A ESC mated to any good 6S pack of 3500 to 5000mah and of a 25C or 30C current rating will really turn it on.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:19 PM
MH701

So I got the heli in the other day and just tried flying it. It will not trim out. No matter what kind of trim adjustments I make it fly’s in big circles( to the left). When I say "fly’s" it is actually on the ground still, I have training gear on it. I have some experience with helis, I have a micro coax that I got pretty good at. So did something get knocked out of whack in the shipping process? Not a lot of detail I know, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:44 PM
rotor09

Yes, at least change out the servos to a basic set of Futaba S-3001's. Why do you think I posted what |I did above? It was not just to watch myself type.

Personally, I will advise most people to get one of the Swift combos that include the motor and ESC, then to purchase a separate radio and gyro.(As the fellow from my initial post here did.) The difference in cost will be not all that much, but the difference in RADIO and GYRO is "night & day".

I find Century make great helis and their motors and ESC's are also very good. Century does NOT make radios, so the radio in their RTF's are probably made by some little known Chinese manufacturer such as Walkera.

Walkera make such equipment for many other brands also, and all of their radio gear that I have experience with has been below par. These type of radios are less critical in the mini and micro sized helis, but are far below par for use in these much larger helis, such as the Swift.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:35 PM
MH701

I understand you're not entertaining yourself by typing here, I appreciate your input. And yes I know I need to change the servos out (at least) but I would think the thing would still fly correctly even with the $hi++y electronics on it. I was basically looking for things to try with it. If you don’t have the time or patience to discuss it with me then don't but thanks for most of the comments and input you have given thus far.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:38 PM
rotor09

The biggest problem with the RTF is the servos have very little torque and like many new helis, the ball links initially fit on the tight side. So combining the two, you will find the controls to be a little erratic.

Just changing the servos out makes a big difference. Also using a ball link sizing tool, on each link, to relieve the tightness will also help a bit more.

If all you have flown is a co-ax then you are probably not aware that a heli with a single rotor that turn clockwise (most do) will lean to the right while in a stationary hover. If you try to hold it level, it will drift to the left. This is due to the push of the tail rotor that is countering the torque.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:12 PM
MH701

That makes sense.

Iordered these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTTM2
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFZP2
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVZ39
Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 PM
rotor09

Those S-9252 servos are far more then you will need with that combination.

The Radio is a fine choice, but why not get it with the servos:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSBX1&P=SM

The servos that come with that radio will be more then enough for that size heli and getting it that way will save you a lot of money.

You can even use one of the servos that come with that radio package on the gyro so you would only have to buy the gyro:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVA43&P=SM

Old 11-24-2010, 01:29 PM
MH701

So I installed all the new electronics but the throttle is not working now. I have tried changing the ESC on the different RX ports but it doesnt work. Any suggestions?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:19 PM
MH701

Wow this is a very active forum!!! : (
Old 12-27-2010, 05:14 PM
rotordoc1

ORIGINAL: MH701

Wow this is a very active forum!!! : (
You will find a lot more Century flyers hang out here:

http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55
Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 PM
rotor09

Sounds like the throttle is reversed in the TX from what it should be to initiate the ESC.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 AM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

I will say this. I am a beta tester for a big gyro for a manufacture but from all piezo gyro detrum gy48v something like that is very good cheap gyro. I even did a couple month testing on this gyro
on nitro and other from big to small ep powered helicopter. Servo on that century probably sucks as hell. Gyro shouldb't be that bad. Tail servo probably same as cyclic which it should be a faster
tail servo. Servo should be replace century gyro should be decent until got money to replace. Radio for sure works well since I've been using it for years. But you shouldof went for the kit with combo
of brushless motor and esc. Most ready to fly helicopter has piece of crap electronic. This helicopter i would say the servo would be junk and charger *** it is ac. You get what you pay for. Good you
upgrade though hope that helicopter last long. Time to sleep. Will keep up with this thread and give some pointers. Good night.