Search
Notices

Hawk build questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 03:22 AM
Sands

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk build questions

I am just sitting down to start building my new Hawk sport and have already run into a few questions.

The first thing they have you do is to install the clutch and fan to the engine. they have you use the washer closest to the engine bearing overwhich you place the clutch then the fan followed by a 6.5 x 13 washer which I cannot easily identify. In bag #3 there are 3 other smaller bags and one contains 2 washers and four hex head bolts is it one of those ?

next you are to mount the engine with four hex head bolt from bag four. I think I have those identified but it seems that the other four bolts in bag #3 with those washers would be the logical choice ? but they do not have an unthreaded portion near the head like the ones in bag #4 so I am perplexed.

Any help out there would be apreciated.

Ron
Old 08-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Sands

So far my building experience is a joke.

With an airplane the instructions include pictures of all the parts so you can easily identify them when you are unsure but with this kit they might as well have put all the parts in a bucket. Why they put them in numbered bags which are not coordinated with either thier quick build guide or the manual (which anticipates you are building from scratch) is beyond me. I am an intelligent person who reads and follows instructions. Their instructions look like they are designed for those who have built these before and just need a reminder.

This might be a great beginners helicopter but the instructions for a kit should be with it and for the arf the quick build guide should detail everything you need to build the arf.

I will find a way but I will not be reccomending this helicopter to beginner since it requires an experienced builder to build it. I was excited after spending nine months reading here and in magazines about helicopters before I decided to learn on this one before purchasing a larger one. It looks like I got what I paid for.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:02 AM
ppljr
My Feedback: (94)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hawk Build

Ron,

I have built a Hawk III and a Hawk Sport and have to agree their bagging system leaves a bit to be desired. But, that is the nature of the beast. Trust me I have seen A LOT worse. Some of the early Minature kits basically were a 25 page text and one schematic. The Hawk's manual is pretty good by some standards. You should take a look at a Shuttle or Raptor manual. I'll stop there becuase I don't wan to turn this into a flaming post. You'll get a better response on www.ruryder.com, what excatly is your question? Are you confused with the building sequence or finding the right part? Let me know if I can help. Hang in there, trust me the result is well worth the effort .

Pedro
Old 08-25-2003, 02:31 AM
ppljr

Default Manual

Ron,

Did you not get the full manual with the kit? If you didn't then call Century ASAP. Here is a scan of the page in question.

Pedro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	104381_7766.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	58590  
Old 08-25-2003, 02:50 AM
Sands

Pedro,

Thanks for the response, I was beginning to think I was completely on my own. I was very frustrated and went to Home depot to try to see the measurements of washers but there was nothing to compare. I got a metric tape measure but none of the measurements on either the washers or bolts came anywhere near the descriptions so I guessed. I am amazed at how I have been all over the manual in no particular sequence and have found what I believe to be the correct bolts and washers for a single step in random bags at best. While I could use some help now, later if they want to pay me enough I could improve their image substantially by showing Century how to construct a manual. So far I have felt most my moves have been educated guesses.

I will be posting a question here in a few minutes I am sure.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:55 AM
ppljr

Default No problem

Ron,

Not a problem. I suggest trying runryder. A lot more people browse there. Myself included. You will get lots of help there. In the mean time feel free to email me at my personal email. Read that one more ofter. Good luck.

Pedro
Old 08-25-2003, 02:58 AM
Sands

Thanks Pedro,

I am sitting here building and with my next question you will I am sure see an email from me.

Thanks again Ron.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:59 AM
Sands

Pedro,

Go Cowboys !!!!!!
Old 08-25-2003, 01:58 PM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

Sands,

I remember building my Hawk Sport. I was a bit confused by the bag numbers as well. FYI, some don't match so don't let it get you too frustrated. I would say that they matched about 90% of the time. After your 1st hover, you'll be so excited you'll forget all the minor issues anyway.

I found that I needed a pair of calipers so I bought one but not until AFTER I built my Hawk. I wish I had them back then it would've been a big help. I bought this digital set, it's incredibly inexpensive and works well:

Harbor Freight Digital Calipers

When I built my Hawk I used a metric ruler. It helped me identify the parts. I did find conflicting control rod lengths between the quick build guide and the full manual. Century tech support told me to use the full manual.

Measure the bolts diameter (width) and the length from tip to under the cap. So an M3x16 socket cap bolt will be 3mm wide and 16mm long. The washers are measured inside hole then outside diameter. So an M3x7 flat washer will have a small 3mm hole but will be 7mm wide.

You can PM me here or on RunRyder (same screen name) if you need more assistance. FYI, I'm only online from 7am to 4 pm M-F. If you think it would help with a particular issue, include your phone number (in a PM not a post). I can make long distance calls on my cell phone for free.

ppljr is right, you will probably find a lot more heli related assistance on runryder. In any case, you are not on your own.
Welcome to the hobby!

C.P.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:24 AM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sands,
I just finished setting up my Hawk, and as soon as I get my gyro (wed) I'm gonna fire her up for the first time. Although this is not my first heli (I learned on a Kyosho C30) I had allot more trouble assembeling this bird that I thought. The packageing is trying and some of the assemblys I had to re-do several times to ensure smooth, friction free movement.
My advice to you is simply take your time (I even have parts left over, and had to add a few of my own, washers, lock nuts)
A few times I had to just get away from her and come back with a clear head.
Relax, you'll do fine. There's allot of help on the site, and we all want to see you do well. Helis are a great challenge and change of pace from airplanes. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2003, 03:48 AM
Sands

Thanks C.P. & Fili,

After a day to sort things out I am realizing like you guys said that I will just have to be patient and persistent which I will be.

C.P. I bought a cheap caliper and you are right it really helps. Do you have any particular recommendations on which one to order from Harbor Freight ? I will wait to hear from you to decide.

thanks for the info concerning from where I am to be measuring that made a big difference. I was nervous about what was appearing to be a few extra parts but Fili comments make sense now.

I will PM all of you about my progress and questions once my work week allows me to make some progress. I am excited as I am sure you'all understand to get in the air and learn all I can about my new found love. Of course I still love my wife, right ?? Just kidding! She is actually real supportive if you can believe that.

Also do you all have a recommendations about how to find a good thin metric ruler so far none at LHS, Lowes, or Home depot ?

I am starting to get the impression that the heli community is a pretty tightnitt bunch who are quick to help others and I for one am thankful. The beginning learning curve seems to be huge.

BTW my progress so far is that I have the engine installed the servos & gyro mounted and the three frame pieces put together.
I have cut out the canopy parts but not checked thier fit yet. I have put the flybar together but have not attempted to balance it yet and I will be looking for some advice on that subject also.

Thanks again for the support and encouragement, Sunday I let my excitement get me real frustrated and it probably showed some. I am an easy going person but I like to get things right and felt it was not going to be possible but stepping back and relaxing helped alot along with the encouragement.

Ron
Old 08-26-2003, 01:07 PM
CyberPilot

Sands,

I'm glad to help anyway I can.

Have you started training on a simulator? I strongly recommend it. I learned on RealFlight G2 it's a little pricey but worth it in my opinion. However FMS or Pre-Flight is free. With these sims you can buy or build an interface cable to connect to your radio so you can learn stick movements and orientation. Everyone that I know that flys helis uses a sim.

Also, if you can find someone in your area to help with the final setup and trim that would be a plus. If you haven't seen the RC Heli Pilot Locator yet check it out. It list pilots in different areas. On the AMA web site there is a club locator as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to post, PM or e-mail me.

Dave
Old 09-02-2003, 03:56 AM
Sands

Dave,

Yes I got Real Flight G2 and have been trying it out but not enough. I spent about 20 minutes practicing tonight. Btw I heard it is a good idea to enlarge the heli up to 3 or 4 times it size so you can see what you are doing better, do you think that is a good idea ? I tried it tonight and liked it but I don't want to develop anymore bad habits than I have too.

My construction update for everyone is that I have got the tail boom installed and have installed the gyro and servo's onto the frame. I have put a few of the linkages together but some of the clearances like on the collective seem a little tight. I am going to have to force myself to find and call someone local to take a look at my progress soon so I don't commit any grave errors. I still have what appears to be a number of bolts and nuts that will be left over and I know that I have followed the instructions closely. Is this normal ? Also I have a JR 8103 with 811 servo's, are they ok to use for this application ? My gyro is a Futaba GY401 with the 9253 servo and naturally they don't seem to plug into the R700 receiver so is there an adapter out there I need to ask for ?
Next I have read the manual for the radio several times and am unsure into what location on the receiver I am to plug the collective servo? Last but not least the radio came with a 4.8V 600mAh battery and again I am wondering if that is something I should upgrade ?

Thanks again for taking the time to help a newbie out.

Ron
Old 09-02-2003, 07:56 AM
Rawlie

Hi Sands

I have just recently built a Hawk, and I'm quite surprised to hear about your building troubles. Of course I am happy to help.

Regarding the sim, make it bigger if it helps you. My personal opinion is that the sim is touger than real life because I lose my sense of perspective and orientation far more easily on the sim. It is a valuable training tool but no substitute for actual FLYING HOURS

If you can post a picure of your linkages we can comment. Sometimes the clearance is small, but there should never be rubbing or binding.

Regarding your servos, I learnt to hover using the CRAPPEST servos Futaba make. They were fine. When you hit the stage where your flying skill outpaces the servos, then upgrade. MHO.

You have done well with the 401/9253 combo. I am not aware of any adaptors, but as mentioned I use Futaba so you may want to double check this.

The collective servo goes into Ch6. Very important. Rx channels should be numbered on the Rx.

Lastly, the battery pack .... 600mAh will be good for about 3 or 4 tanks max before it needs to be recharged. I upgraded to a 1500mAh pack recently and my flight time has improved a lot. Bear in mind that your 9253 digital servo will EAT battery power, so be careful not to push it. When the battery runs low, the gyro is the first thing to stop working. NOT GOOD!!

May I recommend that you invest in a battery checker - they cost about £10/$15 and plug into a spare Rx channel, and give you a power reading for the battery pack.

If you can post some photos of your linkages/setup we can attempt some online analysis
Old 09-03-2003, 01:59 PM
CyberPilot

Sands,

Sorry about not responding sooner, I've been on vacation.

About making the heli bigger in G2, well, actually I never tried it. However, I do use the zoom feature (F2) to see the heli a little better. One bad habit I had to over come was flying with my thumbs. My heli friends all fly fingers. It was awkward at first, since I was so used to using my thumbs when I fly planes but I think using your fingers for helis gives you better control. Just my opinion.

It sounds like Hawk is coming together just fine; make sure you have the tail boom seated in the tabs and holes at each end (steps 35 & 36) and the wire is FULLY seated into the main mechanics (step 36); if not the wire could snap in flight.

Linkages will have little clearance but, like Rawlie said, make sure they don't rub or bind.

They do sell adapters to fit different servo/gyro manufacturers connectors into other manufacturers receivers. You can check your local hobby shop or order on-line from:
Cermark
It would be better if you didn't have to use an adapter because that's one more place for a connection to come loose but if you need to use them make sure it is secure. You can use a security clip like this one sold by TowerHobbies

I'm not sure about the JR radio but my collective servo goes on CH 6 on my Hitec Eclipse and my Gyro is on CH 5.

I would definitely upgrade your battery; I have a 2400 for my Hawk; I had an 1800 which was ok for 4 or 5 flights. The 2400 will let me fly a good 6-7 flights easy. With a 600 I wouldn't trust it for more than a single flight. I maybe erring on the side of caution here but why take a chance?

Good luck and have fun,
Dave
Old 09-03-2003, 04:03 PM
DustOffUH1

I still have what appears to be a number of bolts and nuts that will be left over and I know that I have followed the instructions closely. Is this normal ?
I had nuts screws etc left over from my Hawk III mechanics, and yes I had to order a few extra from Century. Like everyone said, just take your time & relax. Believe me I know how you feel. I wanted to get it together & flying as soon as I could, but I then realized it takes time & patience. Also if at all possible even if you have to drive 3 hours, have someone check it out for you. It will save lots of time & aggravation. See my post Very bad first flight:
Very Bad First Flight Yes, I've found the Helicopter community is very nice & extremely helpful
Joee
Old 09-13-2003, 07:56 PM
Sands

Default RE: Hawk build questions

Update for everyone,

I was out of town for work all week so I haven't had time to do much. I did buy a 1400 mAh battery and figured out the servo connector situation. Dave, the security clips sound like a good idea and I will look into them thanks. I also got the caliper you recommended from Harbor Freight and can't recommend it enough to everyone.

I also bought a boom mount for my tail servo and am unsure of how I should install the servo to the mount. The servo when mounted faces out (per the instructions) and seems like you would have to modify the push rod quite a bit. Is it ok to install the servo so it faces inwards ?

Btw I was pretty careful to make sure that I had the boom all the way in and secured properly along with the drive wire fully seated. It seems like that wire is flimsy, so I am wondering if after a little flight time I should consider upgrading to the torque tube ?

I got a chance to have all of my linkages inspected and after a few adjustments there is no binding and everything is at 90 degree angles as per the instructions and Ray's guide.

Slowlyyyyyyy but surely I am getting there, the end is in sight now.

Ron

P.S. I know I posted a reply last week that doen't show so mabey its just a glitch in the new system at RCU.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:46 PM
DustOffUH1

I also got the caliper you recommended from Harbor Freight and can't recommend it enough to everyone.
I bought it too Best $20 I've spent. The thing looks and works like it should cost $100
Thanks for posting that! If no one answers about the mount & servo, when I get home from work I could post a pick of mine to give you an idea.
Joe
Old 10-08-2003, 04:28 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Somebody at Century must have seen this thread.

I just got a Hawk Sport, and so far the numbered bags have matched the destructions.

I didn't get a Quick-Build Guide, though. No matter, because I'm dis-assembling everything and re-doing it. Found a few bearings that seemed dry, and ALL the balls that go into plastic parts needed snugging up. Everything else has been primo, considering the $160 price tag.

I guess the worst kit I've seen in this regard was the Kalt Baron 30. Finding the correct parts for a given step on that one was a real scavenger hunt...

Steve
Old 10-08-2003, 05:03 PM
DustOffUH1

I'm an idiot. I forgot. My Hawk Sport is up in Wisconsin. I was up there last week (rained most of the week), and I'm going back up this weekend to do some musky fishing, so I left it up there. My Hawk III mechanics don't have a servo mount,, its gonna be a scale Bell 222. Sorry []
Steve, glad to hear about the kit. The Hawk III mechanics was the first heli, or anything RC I built, the instructions were easy to understand and the bags were properly numbered (for the most part). But I really didn't have any problems.
Joe
Old 10-08-2003, 06:10 PM
toywizard

Hello all

This is a wonderful thread!!

I just got a Hawk Sport. Will be putting it together this winter. Have a TT Pro .36 and a CSM hh gyro. Also a Hitec 7 channel.

Just wanted to say hi and you guys have tons of great info here.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:44 PM
syclic

toywizard

I am sure that you will enjoy your Hawk and the CSM gyro. If you have problems with the TT.36 please do not get frustrated with the heli. The TT.36 seemed to be a hit and miss engine, that could be a bear to tune. Mind you I did manage to get a few to run reasonably well for some of our heli-club members.

If you can get help with it fine. If you find it too difficult to tune, you may find the only solution to be an engine change. If you insist on staying with a TT engine, the TT39 is much more user friendly but for durablity it also seems to be a bit dodgy. Of course the tried and true OS32SXH is about the easiest to work with and seems to last forever. I also have heard som good things about the new Irvine 39H but that is one I have had no "onhands" experience with. The previous versions ran very well but did not have the durability (life span) of the OS.

Albert
Old 10-09-2003, 07:17 PM
toywizard

Thanks !

The only reason I went with the TT .36 was it was a good deal and used. Of course, maybe thats why it was a good deal...lol

If it turns out to be one of the problem ones I have heard so much about, I will just get an OS of course.
I have not even had the time to bench test it anyway. I have been busy building a new workshop. Racing the weather.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:26 PM
DustOffUH1

If you have problems with the TT ask Spaceman Spiff about it. He modified his a bit, which worked.
Joe