Search
Notices

Tail Pitch Range ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 02:59 AM
Stebbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Pitch Range ?

I've just fitted a Raptor 30 Tail Slider to my Hawk SE II in order to remove any chance of the tail control linkage binding on the tail housing. It works very well and I've also slightly increased the overall pitch range but I'm not sure if the travel is suitable to overcome the torque of the main rotor as well as giving me good tail movement left and right.

As it stands now I have 45 deg pitch for left turn movement but only 30 deg pitch for right turn movement.

Is this range enough bearing in mind that a few deg pitch for right turn is already needed to counteract the main rotor torque ?

What tail pitch range is normal and what is a normal setting for stable hovering ?

I'm not looking for extra tail authority for 3D, just good positive tail control with a bit to spare if needs be.

[sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-06-2004, 05:54 AM
Darksider

Default RE: Tail Pitch Range ?

if you've increased the pitch range from the stock setup you should be fine, i've been using mine totally stock with a gy 401 gyro for ages and it does it all fast backwards, fast backwards inverted, fast backwards circuits, just fly it and see.

Gareth
Old 04-08-2004, 02:36 AM
Stebbo

Default RE: Tail Pitch Range ?

Thanks for your help.

I've re-tweeked my tail set up by shortening the length of the Raptor Tail Pitch Slider to give me more movement in the direction to oppose main rotor torque. This should give me plenty of pitch control both left and right. Time will tell when I actuallly get to fly if I've got it right !

Thanks again, your help showed me I was doing the right thing.