Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven
Reload this Page >

Hummingbird CP tail spinning problem

Community
Search
Notices

Hummingbird CP tail spinning problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 06:56 PM
liam_irish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hummingbird CP tail spinning problem

I had a problem with the tail spinning on my Hummingbird CP. I needed to correct left a little when getting off the ground, but when it did leave the ground, it REALLY started to go left, so I centered the stick, and it REALLY spun around to the right. I read some earlier posts and a few people had this problem, but generally were not able to find a solution.
Today, I went down to Century Heli (I live in San Jose) to sort the problem out. The problem was with the gyro. The instruction manual illustrates the specific orientation in which you must mount the gyro---which I had done correctly. As it turned out, the electronics in the gyro had been installed upside down! So, we just flipped the gyro over, and presto--everything is great. So, if anybody has a problem similar to mine, the solution could be that the gyro needs to be flipped over (opposite of instructions). Hope this helps the confused out there--because I was stumped for the entire weekend!!
LIAM
Old 05-18-2004, 03:54 PM
BovineD

Default RE: Hummingbird CP tail spinning problem

Hello there liam_irish glad to hear that you fixed your issue. I have a Hummingbird V.II and noticed that it uses the same gyro as the CP model. I have been having major problems with my bird spinning like a top each time I took it up a couple of inches and it is driving me crazy. I have called these guys numerous times to see what the problem may be and have not go anywhere yet.

You said that you reversed the gyro and it fixed your issue. Can you please confirm that you have your gyro installed with the letter C in century at the top and the letter Y on the bottom which is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what it says here in your manual:

http://centuryheli.com/support/manua...manual_web.pdf

and in my manual:

http://www.centuryhelicopter.com/sup.../cn1020_v2.pdf

I hope to god its that simple as it is really maddening to try and get this bird off the ground.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 05-18-2004, 05:59 PM
liam_irish

Yep
C at the top, Y at the bottom--exactly opposite of what the instructions call for. Give it a try--you might have a funky gyro with the insides reversed like mine! I was also amazed at the simplicity of the solution, given the magnitude of the problem. After you get it right, you can also play around with the gain dial on the gyro to get it just right.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:55 AM
BovineD

Thanks for verifying that info liam! I just need to wait for some more tail rotor blades since I broke 3 of them trying to correct that problem. By the way how do you like the CP? I am pretty upset that I did not hold out for that model having just bought the JR/HB combo a month and a half ago, but I just couldn't wait any longer....

Is it able to do any 3D? how is the flight time?
Old 05-19-2004, 04:00 AM
liam_irish

I know what you mean. I had been planning on buying a v2 FP for a few months. Of course when I went into the store they sprung the CP on me. I am happy with it so far--apparently flying is a lot smoother with the collective pitch, but I wouldn't know because I never flew the FP. But, be happy with the price you paid for the FP/radio combo. I spent $330 plus tax on the CP combo, which did not include a TX. When they have a deal that offers the FP, radio, training gear, and crash kit for $211, it is hard to beat. But I am still happy I got the CP Flight times are around 10 minutes.
Let me know if the gyro flip solves your problem...
Old 05-29-2004, 01:48 AM
BovineD

Well I finally got my extra tail rotors in finally and hooked everything back up with the Gyro flipped the other way around but I think I may have the same problem. Everything up to about 55% throttle seems fine. The blades are balancing out, and the bird is responding to left and right rudder commands. When I start getting past about 60% throttle however the bird starts turning to the left and even if I apply full right rudder the bird continues to spin to the left. It seems that there is not enough right rudder power to correct the left spin.

I do not even have a clue as to what the problem might be at this point. I know that if I goose the throttle to 90 the bird will lift off and continue spinning to the left and I will end up with pieces all over again so I think I am just going to stop by their headquarters and just ask for help because I am at a loss at this point.....

If anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear them!
Old 05-29-2004, 08:02 PM
velcomrob

Mine has the exact same problem!!!

im going to try flipping the gyro on the other side

i broke about 4 blades also trying to fix the problem ! GRRR

i think century should give us blades for messig up the electronics in the gyro (if that fixes it) for me.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:35 PM
BovineD

Okay I FINALLY got this thing figured out!

First I want to thank Dennis at Century in San Jose for all his help because without him this thing would be a lost toy in my garage at this point. Long story short, it was not the Gyro but rather a defective tail motor.

It took swapping out the mixer board, and gyro to confirm this but that is definitely what it was. I swapped the tail motor and the hummingbird is on its way to hovering like a dream. Well, at least for 3 seconds at a time!

velcomrob I hope you get it figured out one way or the other as this thing is a blast once it is working properly.

Good Luck man!

I am so impressed with Century's customer service that when I go gas for my next RC its definitely going to be a century.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:44 PM
velcomrob

How can you tell if its a bad tail motor?