raven or falcon

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 05:02 PM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raven or falcon

Hello
I am looking at buying a raven or maybe the falcon. Can anyone tell me if the kits come with a muffler the would work with the tt 50 engine? Also are there anything that needs changed or reworked on these kits? I will not be flying any wild 3d stuff.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 10-09-2004, 06:37 PM
syclic

Default RE: raven or falcon

They are much the same kit - it is just that the Falcon uses a mechanical CCPM control system and the Raven uses a direct servo to swashplate electronic CCPM control system.

For extreme 3D, the Raven's control system is much more "instant" but in a crash, this type of system is a lot harder on servo gears.

As is the case of most every mechanical system, the extra parts for this control system bring in a bit of "flex" in the system. Consequently, hard 3D inputs feel a little more damped (like having softer dampers in the head).

Both IMHO have the best 50 class rotor head, swashplate and washout system, power, clutch and start system, tail rotor drive system and tail rotor itself. 60 class machines in a 50 size rather then 30 size machines in a 50 size.

Albert
Old 12-13-2004, 02:54 AM
AVIATOR135
My Feedback: (18)

why do they call the falcon king and the raven 2nd if the only diff. is the ccpm which everyone i know that compete uses the ccpm not mech. mech. should ride 2nd, tell me more on the subject?
rick
Old 12-13-2004, 05:45 PM
wisdom-seeker

As far as I know, no kit comes with a muffler as there are so many variations on engine to use. It is normally expected that you buy the engine and muffler separately.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:47 PM
syclic

"why do they call the falcon king and the raven 2nd ...." Your guess is as good as mine on this one as the Raven's eCCPM system gives it an extra degree of cyclc pitch over the falcon and also reults in a far more solid collective in any collective pumping maneuver.

But the "3D King" actually originated with the first Falcon46 which was the first 46 size machine to use proper 600mm mainblades to better harness the power of the 46. The Ergo 46 used 550 blades, the Concept 46 and Nexus 46 used even shorter 530mm blades etc.

Consequently, later when the Raven 50 came out they could not change their "promo" line.

Albert
Old 12-14-2004, 02:46 AM
AVIATOR135
My Feedback: (18)

THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP FOR ME, IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE! ANOTHER ? WOULD YOU REC. A 50 UPGRADE FOR MY VENTURE BEFORE GOING TO A 60 PRED. I'M STILL FRESH SO TO SPEAK! TELL ME LIKE IT IS, DON'T HOLD BACK. THANKS![:'(]
RICK
Old 12-14-2004, 09:27 PM
syclic

Hi Rick,

In order to answer such a question properly I would have to know the cost you are looking at to upgrade your Venture 30 to the Venture 50. I know what a Predator costs but not what yor upgrade would cost.

But here is what I would do. As the Raven 50 is the only 50 size machine I know of that not only has all the items found on most standard "Sport class" 60's but also those "Upgrade" items found in the better SE class 60! The following is a list of these special items that are also stock on the Raven 50.

1 - a good set of composite main rotor blades as standard
2 - a rotor head that has a machined hub instead of a molded GRP hub
3 - a bearing supported bell mixers
4 - a 4mm flybar that is bearing supported
5 - a heavy duty flybar control yoke
6 - a bearing supported seesaw
7 - oilite bushed washout hub with bearing supported washout arms
8 - a dual bearing heavy duty all metal swashplate
9 - an eCCPM control system
10 - a stainless steel torque tube tail rotor drive system
11 - a machined steel tail rotor hub
12 - tail rotor blade grips supported by two radial bearings and one thrust bearing
13 - a constant tail drive autorotation system
14 - heavy duty landing gear struts

Note items 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, & 14 are all items that are not found an even other expensive SE type 50 size machines. Consequently I have found the Raven to be more of a smaller/lighter 60 with a power to weight ratio when combined with a hot 50 engine to make it seem at most times like a 90! And its' very light disc loading makes it auto much like a 60.

The biggest expense in the conversion of your V30 to a V50 would be the 50 engine and exhaust system. Therefore, IMHO, I would be prone to sell the Venture 30 and engine, and use that money towards buying a Raven 50/OS50 combination. I would bet that the difference between what you would get for your Venture 30/engine combo and the cost of the new Rav50/OS50 would be less then what it would cost you to convert your Venture 30 to a Venture 50. And you would then have a NEW heli that would be a lot better performer then even a NEW Venture 50.

You would have a heli that flies much like a Predator MAX/90 (or any other top 90), but that costs a lot less to run & to repair.

Albert