Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven
Reload this Page >

Tell me about the Century Hawk Pro!

Community
Search
Notices

Tell me about the Century Hawk Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 04:47 PM
syclic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tell me about the Century Hawk Pro!

jondoe

For an engine - go with the OS37 or Toki 40. If you are just a newbie to nitro engines - go with the OS as its' carb is easier to set up. The Toki 40 with its special tuned muffler, is more for the guy who wants more power (I found it had a good bit more power) and can follow the instructions re: their different carb set up, it is a better choice.

The Futaba 7C with 3151 servos is a great sport radio for this heli.

For gyro - without a doubt go with the Futaba GY401/9254 combo.

The OS37 runs well on the stock black muffler that the Hawk comes with. Later when you want to "let all the horses out" try the relatively inexpensive CN3037 century muffler on it. You will find it will give more power with less needle sensitivity....while being very quiet.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 PM
jondoe

great thanks syclic im defenetly going with the hawk but i am getting the combo ether from heli world or tower but the servos and stuff not getting them in but making them move in the right way is that in some insruction manual?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 PM
syclic

Yes - for set-up I actually find the Hawk Sport manual to be better then the Hawk Pro manual. You can download the Sport manual from the customer support area of their web site.

Also, there is a very good "sticky" here:

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/f48p1/
Old 10-30-2007, 04:34 AM
jkrause528

I orderd my Hawk Pro combo last night from Tower. Heli-World was out of stock and the price difference was negligable. Actually, with the promos and rebates, it's about the same. Now comes the hard part: waiting... for delivery, build, spring! Are there any good build/setup threads for this heli? I've already downloaded the manuals and they suprisingly don't look bad. Maybe I'll attempt to take some photos of the build process and post them for anyone else who is curious. I'm must confess, I am both excited and anxious.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
jondoe

is there anything wrong with flying it in the winter?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:02 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

ORIGINAL: syclic

Get it - you will luv it I have close to 300 relatively hard 3D flights on mine now and it is still relatively slop free and has been a real treat. (wore out one motor and now on the second)
What servos do you use?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
syclic

I initially used Futaba S-3151's which worked very well.

Then I needed and inexpensive servo for another project (Swift) and the Collective on any mechanical CCPM control system can always benefit from more torque, so I replaced the 3151 on the collective with a 9252 a couple of months ago.

So now I have the 9252 on collective, 3151 on roll cyclic, the fore/aft cyclic and the throttle, and of course the 9254 on the gyro.

jondoe

No, I have flown many helis in colder weather. But there are a few differences and cautions.

1 - Plastic becomes brittle in cold weather so the heat shrink covering on wood blades will easy split if contact is made with anything.

2 - This may also cause any other plastic parts to be a bit more fragile.

3 - the RX & TX batteries will not last as long so monitor them more closely

4 - the fuel is thicker so you will have to open the needles a bit more and the engines will be harder to start and easier to flood.

5 - most gyros have a cold tem limit - check for any such cautions in the manual for your gyro.

Other then that, if you can brave the cold - have at it.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:02 PM
jondoe

well Thank you i haven't got it yet im looking at the raptor 30 or 50 for xmas im a begginner so once i get it ill need some help.
what do you have to do to set up the servos to do the right thing i normaly have goton rtfs
Old 12-07-2007, 03:07 PM
jondoe

ha sry i said i was defenetly going with the hawk i lied or changed my mind and i asked the same thing twice
Old 12-13-2007, 10:49 PM
flyboy4553

Haven't heard much on this heli about its 3d flying. Only that it is good for beginners. I would like both. How does this stack up for 3d?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 PM
syclic

I find the relatively light Hawk Pro to be a surprisingly good 3D machine with the proper power ... much like some 50 size helis.

The OS-37with the Century CN3037 engine/tuned muffler combination or the Toki 40with its' tuned muffler combination really can pop it around. On the other hand, with the OS32, it is still quite capable of 3D, but one has to exercise some collective/cyclic management to maintain engine speed.

Here is a good video of it doing 3D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwJrP1RHiYY
Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 AM
rollingball

Hey all, I ordered a Hawk yesterday, The complete setup with starting equipment, OS .37 and Futaba 7CH. And on top of that the CCPM kit. From Heli-World.

Has anyone here tried the CCPM kit or will I be the first

Also has any one used a governor on theirs. Like a GV-1?

Old 12-22-2007, 03:19 PM
syclic

If you are just in the training stage, set it up initially in its stock mCCPM configuration. Learn to fly it that way, then when you are ready for hard 3D, convert to the eCCPM as it is a bit faster and has less interactions so you will not have to use as much swash mixing for mirrored performance right sid up and inverted.

It is better to use the MCCPM set up for your training because any mishaps will be easier on your servo gears.

Yes, I have used the GV-1 from Futaba and the CSM RL-10. Both work very well and have their advantages and disadvantages

The GV-1 is much easier to set-up and is not as critical to carb needle settings, but it takes up lot more space under an already crowded canopy area.

The RL-10 is very compact (due to not having the LCD readout pod that makes set-up so easy on the GV-1) but is a bit more work to set-up.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:13 PM
losilover1245

hey guys. i have a t-rex 450se and can do a little forward flight with it. i recently decided to crave my urge to buy a nitro heli. i took the plunge and bought a century hawk pro kit off tower for 198.00. i purchased it christmas day and it is supposed to arrive between1-01 and 1-04. i would greaty appreciate it if somebody would give me tips on building the kit and also what tools are helpful in building nitro heli kits.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:27 PM
jondoe

hey i just got one for xmasand put it together that day it took about 3 hours and the only flaw was i didnt use threadlocker on the engine
Old 01-02-2008, 07:37 PM
NIpilot
My Feedback: (6)

Well join in the fun and fly the blades off that thing. Which engine did you get? Without a doubt if you progress with nitro helicopters your going to fly it, wreck it, rebuild it but basically have a heck of a good time. Your going to get to know it inside out and build/rebuild it blindfolded but it will give you a ton of good memories and you'll not get a better machine with more reasonable spares at anywhere close to the price of this. My Raven has been setting for over a year neglected and I finally got inspired the other night to drag it out and get it ready for spring. Still got 24 gallons of fuel that needs to be turned to smoke. LOL Have fun.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:08 PM
jondoe

ya i have been wanting it for a while and i have os 37 and jr radio stuff and a basic century gyro
e
Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 PM
jondoe

ok i have a problem pls help will an os 37 ringed start without the ring?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:36 PM
syclic

Why did you take the engine apart and remove the ring???
Old 01-05-2008, 12:35 PM
jondoe

i didn't it didn't come with one and its the ringed version so its not my fault
i was just curious
im sending it back
Old 01-05-2008, 01:35 PM
NIpilot
My Feedback: (6)

Never heard of an O.S. engine making it through Q.C. with something like a ring missing? Are you certain? Is the engine new and unused at this point?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:52 AM
losilover1245

i am going to put the os 37 in it. but when i was building i did everything rite. i do have a problem though. when i hold the tail and turn the main rotor blades, the tail has a little tension then it skips and wont spin when i turn the main rotor. i checked over th tail torque tube and it is all in working order. is it supposed to do this. i dont know what to do but i am going crazy lol. plz post some pics and lets keep this thread alive. i do however think that this is a nice kit but i would like to hear othe peoples opinions on things like, is this a good trainer heli,is it durable,etc..... i cannot wait for a reply because i really wanna fix my tail. happy flying and i hope to have my bird up soon
Old 01-06-2008, 07:14 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

did you put a little grease on it like stated in the manual on the back gear box near the fins, is your tail completely attached? The gear might not be fully touching the gear on the fuselage or your tail might not be straight out and is binding the gears( the gear wear the engine and the tail boom make contact. Take the boom off and reattach it. Hopefully that is the only problem. I am far from a pro at building helis but I just got mine at Christmas and all went well with my build, the only thing I am waiting for is money for the OS 37. Mine built and ready to go
Old 01-06-2008, 08:05 PM
cfry526

I am thinking about a Pro Hawk for my first nitro heli, how was the build? Is it really a good begginers heli? The price is very attractive, but a couple of guys suggested the Raptor 50 or the T Rex 600. I am leaning toward the Pro Hawk.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:33 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The manual to me is very choppy. I was told to use the heli max manual and it helped out a lot. The price is great, i got mine from towers for 198 shipped. I already had three jr ds821 servos, I bought one more from the LHS. All that is left to buy is the engine, ( I am going to go with the OS 37) I want the TOKI 40 but they say that they are a little harder to tune, and since this is my first heli I need the easiest, and plus my LHS stocks OS parts, and after that the futaba GY401 gyro/ with the digital tail sevo. I am trying to stay below 500 and I might be able to do it if I can find some good deals on the engine and the Gyro. In all so far it is a great heli I hope to have it flight ready as soon as I get my tax refund . I have a gentleman at my field who has the century hawk pro and the raptor titan 50 and he says it flys the same as his raptor 50 but with a cheaper price tag on it. He recommended me get the Hawk Pro. Also, even thought it is a 30, it is the size of the 50 titan, actually when I looked at both side by side the Hawk Pro looks bigger. Good luck on you choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.