Notices

Inverted flight???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 08:18 PM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inverted flight???

Hi all, I'm going to ask this two prong question here first. I have felt the 3D demons calling me for some time. I began with loops which was not the best method for me. So I practiced with the FMS until I was sick of it (but it helped). I finally kept pushing stall turns until I inverted the Hawk. It was a rush. But I did then notice that the Hawk IV does not remain trimmed neutral when inverted. It favors nose up for some reason. To fly straight you must use rear cyclic or the heli pitches up and will soon be upright. Does anybody have a theory and fix for this?
Now for part II: I have flown inverted then barrel roll upright over and over again....maybe for 30 minutes at a time....but sooner or later something goes amiss usually involving the tail stepping out or even spinning until I loose the ability to maintain control. I am using a Telebee 701 (please don't judge me) with an Expert ball bearing servo (inexpensive). Just normal flying does not indicate a gyro/servo problem but when I push the limits a little something goes wrong. Can gyros come and go? or is my servo too slow??? Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-18-2006, 10:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts
Default RE: Inverted flight???

Usually the inverted problem shows up when the helicopter is out of balance and its trimmed out using cyclic trim in a hover.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:25 PM
lyk2fly

Thanks, I did think about fore/aft balance and I haven't checked it yet. Of course the heli is being repaired due to the recent episode but I will check the balance before flying again.
Mark
Old 09-18-2006, 01:34 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Just pick it up with your fingers under the flybar with the blades straight out front and back. See which way the nose hangs, its should be slightly nose heavy, if the tanks in the back check it empty, if its in the front check it full.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:40 PM
lyk2fly

Tank's in the back....and I just moved the tail rotor servo from the tail boom back to the servo bay for more up front weight...just to see. The heli is in pieces right now, so as soon as parts arrive and its assembled I will check balance. What is your opinion of the gyro/servo situation? Flying inverted I was getting used to the nose up tendency...I could compensate for that... but the tail not staying put....that I can't handle! Should I stay away from inverted flight until I can afford a futaba 401 system?
Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 AM
jester4

Have you done research on that particular gyro to see if anyone else has holding issues with it? If it is a common problem, then you know what you have to do...the 401 is a great gyro, and relatively cheap. I fly my hawk with a 401 and a cheap ANALOGUE servo for the tail, and she holds good all the time (well...decent anyways)
Old 09-27-2006, 09:43 PM
lyk2fly

Hi, I haven't heard specifics...but I have read posts where they were regarded as inferior. I probalbly will go the Futaba route. If anybody knows of Telebee problems/glitches please post them here.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-28-2006, 01:56 PM
syclic

With your older Hawk IV, you will find that putting the inexpensive HW3180C feathering spindle system from the current Hawk Pro will help a lot with the inverted flight.

Also putting back elevator collective to elevator mixing will also make any inverted flight less challenging with your Hawk IV.

And there is no doubt about it. The Futaba 401/9254 system is light years ahead of your telebee.