Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven
Reload this Page >

ex-Raptor 50 owner....Wants Raven

Community
Search
Notices

ex-Raptor 50 owner....Wants Raven

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Tomi
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ex-Raptor 50 owner....Wants Raven

Hey guys, I've flown my Raptor 50 for about a year and did whatever I can do with my skills. Tic Tocs, Inverted hovers, funnels, Piro Flips, Autos, etc. Since I can get the Raven 50 cheaper from my hobby shop, I'm thinking of going with the Raven.

I'm not sure if I want to get another Raptor because I want to try something different. I was intending to get a TRex 600, but lipos are just dang expensive right now. So the Raven has come to mind.

On the Raptor, the cons on it was the head. Not a True CCPM setup. I had to change out the pinion gear twice because it would rub against the bearing and wear out, within just about 30 or so flights.

Pros were cost on replacement parts. They weren't too bad.. and Belt Drive.

For some reason, I like the lower profile look of the Raven. But the canopy isn't really my cup of tea. Maybe I can fit a different canopy on it...

But anyway. I'm 75% on the Raven and 25% on the Raptor Titan...

What should I choose!!! And when I choose, it's the wife's decision if I can get one or not... haha..

-Tomi
Old 10-07-2006, 07:10 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts
Default RE: ex-Raptor 50 owner....Wants Raven

The Raptor doesn't need CCPM, its a very good mechanical mixing design. I've flown the EVO with and without CCPM and there really isn't a big difference and you dont get interaction.

The Kasama head is a reasonably priced upgrade and will really transform the Raptor from everything I've heard about it, I have the Quick uk head on mine and really like it but its kinda pricey.

The pinion bearing wont wear down the pinion if you put a little green locktite between them.

I've heard good and bad things about the Century machines, the ones at are field are gone because they have been nothing but trouble except for a predator.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:32 PM
syclic

You will like the Raven 50 for it's precision and dependability. It has replaced the Rappies here.

IMHO, there are a number of things on the current Raven 50 that make us Raven lovers to consider it to be more of a pocket 60 then a larger 30.

It comes with a smaller version of the Predator head using a great machined rotor hub that is not only secured to the mast with the perverbial Jesus bolt, but also has a clamping set up at the base that insures there will be no "rocking", even after many hours of hard use.

It comes with the same heavy duty flybar yoke as the Predator along with a 4mm flybar and the Predator's 3D paddles. IMHO every hely in the 50 class size should use a 4mm flybar instead of a 3mm unit as they are much better (stiffer) at controlling larger and heavier mainblades. The 3mm is OK for 500 to 550mm units but not enough for 600 - 620 units.

It comes with the same positive power transfer Stainless Steel torque tube tail drive system as the Predator (60/90/GS) except shorter.

It comes with the same tail rotor as the Predator that many with other brand helis purchase seperately to upgrade their tail rotor system. It is the same as used on top 90 machines with 3 bearings in each tail blade grip - two radial bearings and a thrust bearing.

It comes with the same heavy duty low profile landing gear as the Predator only with shorter skids.

It can take longer (615/620mm) mainblades and longer (92/95) tail blades to better harness the power of the new Hyper 50.

Ther are many more such features but I think you get my drift.

The only mode that some of us do, is to add a spacer bar between the bottom of the mainframes and the landing gear struts, and longer or extra spacers between the struts and the lower frames in order to hold the heli higher off the ground. With the positive (no give) attribute of any torque tube drive system, if you touch the tail rotor (as it has a constant driven tail auto system, so you may have a hard auto that may do so) to the ground at all, something will have to give, so it will be the top teeth of the crown gear. It is not a big deal if you do though, because they are inexpensive and easy to replace.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Tomi
My Feedback: (4)

Yeah the hub on the Raptor was giving me problems. After a few dozens of flights, the plastic head wobbles. I wanted to upgrade to a metal hub but again $$$$.

I've looked more thoroughly at the Raven and the crown gear isn't really my style. I've seen so many helis with their's stripped out. But that was theirs so I don't know.

For now, save and choose!

BarracudaHockey:
Green locktight the bearing to the frame?? I never really thought of locktighting it in but we'll see what heli I get...

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:30 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Not the frame, locktite it to the pinion. You need to make sure its a good fit in the frame so it dosent wallow it out but thats less an issue than the hard bearing material eating into the pinion.

The maverikk metal head, a metal washout base and one piece tail hub are all a good idea on the raptor, but people want lower prices so they ship the parts with the plastic.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
syclic

Tomi,

I am a big fan of the torque tube drive system, specially with a driven tail in autos. The drag of the t/t system is far less then that of the belt system. So in any auto, and more so in aerobatic autos, the extra energy the lower drag of the t/t system leaves in the head really can make a big difference here. It also helps in spooling the head back up after loosing rotor speed in such autos.

Of course, under power, that means there is that much less power from the engine being used to drive the tail rotor. This extra power can then be used to drive the mainrotor.

Of course nothing comes free - so if one is not proficient at landing consistantly without bouncing too much, one risks stripping the crown gear teeth.

In 318 flights so far this year with 100's of aero-autos, I have managed to strip two crown gears - as it takes less then 10 minutes to replace. I consider that a small price to pay for all the other benefits this heli offers.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:00 AM
rcsoar4fun
My Feedback: (12)

I have put a bit of time on my Raven and flew the crap out of a couple of hawks, I never had trouble with the tube. I very much prefer it to the help system. Just seems smoother.

As far as comparing the two, I have flown both. Nothing really hard 3D, just moving into that stuff now, but I have done all the basics. The best thing I can say is I have a blinged Raptor and an old worn out Raven. I am selling the Raptor The Raven is a solid machine that to me feels much more like a mini 90 than a big 30. You really can't go wrong. The downside is there is not as much bling out there for the century machines, because its simply not needed.

Kristopher
Old 01-13-2007, 03:01 AM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned 3 raptor 50's and just ordered a new raven 50, looks to be a sweet heli