Notices

Toki 40 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:00 PM
oregonrc
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toki 40 will not start

I've goat a Century Hawk Pro that will absolutely not start. I've had the needles everywhere with no success. I've put three os #8 in it, again, no success. If I prime the carb, I can get fuel to flow from the tank to the carb. If I increase the throttle whatsoever, fuel falls from the carb and looses it's prime. I did find that both brass lines that go through the stopper in the tank were cracked. Fixed that and still have the same problem. I've had tons of experience with glow motors. I work at a hobby shop and have tuned and rebuild probably hundreds of motors. I've been through everything. Pulled the motor down to the bare case and everything checked out OK. There's tons of compression. I know it's getting spark. The tank has no leaks. Does anyone have another idea? Thanks!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Toki 40 will not start

Are you useing a remote glow ignitor? Also, when i first got mine i for whatever reason (probabley beccause it was my first nitro heli) forgot to pull the pressure line of the carb. I flooded the darn thing like 20 times. Sometimes there are those days when you change the wrong thing trying to make it right, change the wrong thing again, fix the original problem but now that first thing you changed is wrong and so on and so on and so on
Old 04-01-2007, 02:27 AM
gfyss
My Feedback: (14)

That sounds awfully familiar. My first start with a new toki .40 was also "frustrating" to say the least. The low needle setting is VERY sensitive. I ended up resetting the needles to "factory defaults" at least 5 times and bought myself a geared starter. The engine really prefers OS8 plugs. If your original 3 plugs still glow, they are probably just fine. I've had one plug go bad in my engine and the symptom was that the engine started dying as the throttle went above a fast idle.

My recommendation: reset the needles to to the defaults in the instructions. For the low needle, mine is at 7 to 7.25 turns which should put it just inside of flush. Further adjustments should be no more than 1/16th of a turn at a time. Also the throttle shouldn't be over 1/4 open, preferably about 1/8th. Above that and it doesn't suck fuel well, if at all, for starting. It likes the plug on the hot side. My power panel meter shows the plug current just inside the red range. You better charge the starter battery because you may need to crank for a while (hence the geared starter) especially if the weather is cool (below 55F).

My fuel is 5% nitro with 15% full synthetic oil. My last batch was 12.5% nitro, but I didn't have to make any low needle changes.

A safety tip: Remove the main blades until you get it started.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2007, 02:40 PM
irc

If you take the main blades off, put a set of head loaders on , otherwise you will never be able to set the engine up correctly

Iain
Old 04-01-2007, 03:28 PM
gfyss
My Feedback: (14)

Once you've got it started and able to idle you can put the blades back on. It's just a lot easier to maneuver around the model and prevents any inadvertent damage to the blades and you. Classic example, one of my club members decided to try helicopters. He built a beautiful bird, but didn't realize he had the throttle setup backwards. The first start was exciting to say the least! The engine started on full throttle and the heli began doing unpleasant things to itself and the owner who was trying to hold on and shut it down by pulling the fuel line.

Just keep in mind that you don't know where the clutch engagement point is yet so be careful and good luck!
Old 04-01-2007, 06:11 PM
syclic

Some of them came with conflicting factory needle settings in the instructions.

Unlike OS and other Japanese airplane engines, the main needle of the Toki uses a very fine thread (like those used in hi-performance ducted-fan and racing engines). So the standard 1.5 turns is NOT enough. Start with at least 4.5. Then make sure the hover/idle screw on the oposite side is set at least three turns open (a bout 1/2 turn more then flush with the carb body). Next insure that the carb opens about 1/8" open at your TX start idle setting.

Now turn the motor over (WITHOUT CONNECTING) the glow plug fothe count of 15 (This is to prime the engine without flooding it). DO NOT plug the exhaust when doing so as some airplane flyers do).

Then be sure the plug is getting a nice red glow from your battery and try to start it. If your starter is TURNING FAST, enough it should fire off every time.