Search
Notices

fuel for OS37

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:07 AM
wak86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel for OS37

what is better fuel for this engine...better use castor fuel or synthetic fuel..which one is good.....any advices...how much % nitro ?
Old 01-23-2008, 12:41 PM
syclic

Default RE: fuel for OS37

A good heli fuel with all synthetic.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:40 AM
wak86

how about castor...any disadvantages
Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I did my research before hand, but a lot of people told me not to use my omega 15% but it has the same mix as coolpower 15% only thing different is that omega has castor/ synthetic blend. I have used 30% heli before but for the few extra bucks to me it is not worth it, plus I am just a sport flyer and I do not need the extra power, but it does have more oil content in it. My omega can be used in 2 stroke runs great in 4-strokes and I will also be using it in my new tt .39 engine, because nobody can give me a logical answer into why not to use it. If you want to keep you heli clean then use coolpower % synthetic if you want a little bit more protection on your engine if it ever runs a little lean the go with Omega. Omega will make brown burnt spots on your engine, but I do not mind that because my rc toys are not for show. I have used coolpower before because the LHS was sold out of omega and I did not notice a difference other than it was a lot easier to clean my plane when I was done flying. This is just my opinion.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 PM
syclic

The main reason why I do not recommend using any castor in the fuel, is because the same build up that you find outside the motor, also happens inside the motor (on the crown of the piston and sometimes inside the ring gap). This will eventually lead to erratic needle settings, as the build up on the crown of the piston, causes the volume inside the combustion chamber to decrease. In effect this increases the compression ratio which ultimately effects the timing.

The more fuel one burns per year the more noticeable this will be. As I burn anywhere from 20 to 40 gallons a year it is a significant consideration.

Years ago I would always add a bit of castor to protect the bearings from moisture contamination when stored. As most good fuels today have rust inhibitors I have even stopped doing that.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:07 AM
wak86

is it the synthetic make engine fast demage..i mean the long life of engines will become short time
Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 AM
evilhorse

synthetic fuel will kill your engine faster on a LEAN run, whereas synthetic/castor blend will save the engine for a short time.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Mutt

fuel is fuel is fuel. lots of ways to go. i run powermaster 15% airplane fuel been using it for years and have no problems ever and none of the castor stains as some have said. If you make sure your exhaust dont leak you wont have them problems. cool power's heli 15% and thier airplane 15% is the exact same fuel same amount of oil content 17% the powermaster I run is 18% synth and castor blend and it works fine. There are about 20 of us that all use the same fuel with no issues ever. why pay 45 bucks for a gallon of fuel when you can fly on 16 a gallon fuel and it works as well.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:32 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Evilhorse and cyclic have it right.

Castor makes a mess inside and out but will save you if you run it lean where most synthetic oil packages wont.

The castor debate has been going on for years but the two people I trust most with engines hate it so I run synthetic. I know for a fact it will goop up your engine though.