Notices

Aero tech blade covering

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Broncoflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aero tech blade covering

Hi all,
Crashed the airwolf a week ago. New parts are here and the heli is almost ready to go. except for the required paint job nessecitated by the fiberglass repair on the tail boom. (never liked the black and white anyway, too boring) . I do have a question about the 550 mm wood aero tech blades. I bought new ones and they are ready to go, but the ones involved in my experiment with gravity also seem OK. They balance out good still and there are no nicks or gouges in them at all. The problem is the white plastic covering on them. It seems to have shed. Tears in one of them close to the rotor head and the other one is torn right around at the tip of the blade root createng a scabbard so to speak. Can I recover these blades or is it even needed? The fella at my (sort of) LHS says i could paint them if i wanted to, but for spares if i didnt care what they looked like I could fly them as-is. Any thoughts? I know blades are relatively cheap, but I just cant bring my self to toss these just cuz of a little torn plastic.

thanks,
Bronco
Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
syclic

Default RE: Aero tech blade covering

We used to cover our old X-Cell woodies with a white mac-tac type of covering. You can get some pretty thin stuff at your local home depot stores. Wrap it such that it starts at the bottom at about 1/4 inch from the leading edge, to the back trailing edge, around over the top and around the leading edge to overlap about 1/4 inch.

If you are lucky you may be able to find someone who sells the KSJ heat shrink blade covering specially made for 500 to 600mm blades. I used to get it from Hobby Hobby in Mississauga - they had it in clear, yellow and white.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Broncoflyer

Default RE: Aero tech blade covering

thanks syclic, ill look for that ksj stuff on the net