Notices

Got a hawk for $35.00

Old 03-18-2009, 06:02 AM
tominator06
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a hawk for $35.00

Well I got a call from a friend who owns a jewelry/pawn shop and he has a hawk helicopter. I am going to get it today for $35. I have checked it out and it comes with a brand new enya ss35 engine. Anyone know anything about these motors? I need to break it in but the gut has no instructions. I will post pics this afternoon when I get the heli. He said he had to hold it for 24hrs in case the guy wanted it back. The heli comes complete except tx. I will be looking for any helpfull info on this heli. Im not sure which version but it only has one brace to the tail boom. Most I see in pics have two boom braces like my 450. Thanks for reading and I will add info later.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 PM
tominator06

Default RE: Got a hawk for $35.00

Got a couple pictures of the heli. Going on the shelf for right now (low $$) but hope to get it flying soon. I hope they attach. Quick inspection tells me it needs a serious cleaning. Then a link is missing in the head, the motor needs to be broken in, and I don't think i would trust the blades. I realize it will need a total head setup but we hooked it to a radio and everything seems to move correctly. Maybe a good scale project down the road. I like my electric birds for learning right now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40864.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1160766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28240.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1160767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68680.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1160768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88779.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1160769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50445.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1160770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of57513.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1160771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq23596.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1160772  
Old 03-18-2009, 10:14 PM
rotordoc

Wow, that is a museum piece!

That is one of the old, original versions that I reviewed for a magazine, way back in about 1992 or so. It is a very different heli then the current Hawk Pro.

You may have trouble getting some parts for it today.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:18 PM
tominator06

I matched a decal sheet from a hawk II to the stickers on the tail fins but am not sure. Yes very old I know. I just cant resist for $35. Hooked it up to a radio and everything seems to work. Maybe it will end up a decoration. Who knows.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:43 PM
rotordoc

Heck - for $35.00 I would have picked it up also.

From all the built up dirt on the tail blades and the wear on the start cone, it must have had logged a good number of flights already. :-)
Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 PM
tominator06

Yes it is very dirty. That engine was just installed in the frame. The pipe that came with it is a short hirobo pipe. I tried starting it tonight with no luck. The needles are a little different from my nitro truck and I am not quit sure where to start. I went out 2 1/2 on the low end and the high end I went out till the needle is halfway across the hole. This is what I was told from the previous owner. These settings were good enough to get a small airplane running for a friend a couple weeks ago. I got very little response to adjustments until it finally poped a little and flooded. The starter got warm I am going to try one more time in a few minutes. I can't find any factory settings for the enya ss35 bb engine. It seems to be a piston/ring engine.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:38 AM
xv-townboy
My Feedback: (5)

I had one with the same engine..For 35 bucks i would have snapped it up myself..Good score[8D]
Old 03-25-2009, 05:16 AM
tominator06

I am having trouble getting it started. I emailed enya and got a owners manual but still have no idea what the needle settings are. I started with 2 out on the high end which was stated in the manual. it seems to have a low needle and a so called idle mix screw which I have no idea. I have 15% cool power and a os8 plug. It will sort of pop a little but wont get enough rpm to start. The sound is similar to my nitro monster truck when it is flooded. I try and lean it out and no pop. I try and fatten it up and it hydro locks. I am wondering if I am not priming it right. Any Ideas? I know this is a difficult question to answer. I am currently running a nitro monster truck so I have somewhat of an idea how to run these motors. Just not this one LOL.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
mrcandyman

It will be the same as your monster truck. I actually have one of these helicopters that I got when I was a kid. it came only as a kit and my initial setup was perfect. Unfortunately, I crashed it and rebuilt it. On the rebuild I had a bunch of head wobble I couldn't sort out so it's sat for years now. It's all still put together, and I haven't looked but I think it's just a blade CG problem. I would get back to flying this but Century tells me that they don't have any parts for it. They suggested seeing if any of the Hawk pro parts would fit, but after a whole bunch of research I've found virtually nothing will fit it
Old 03-28-2009, 12:05 AM
rotordoc

Actually, most crash parts are still available, as most of the newer type of parts from the current Hawk Pro will work on it (and, as they are changed to the newer version of the parts, after each crash repair, they will be the improved and more modern components).

The only parts that will not be compatible are those related to the mainshaft, as that old Hawk uses a shorter and thinner (8mm) one while the newer ones use a longer and fatter (10mm) one..but there is an upgrade package available to even change that.

I got all of this info for a friend a month or so ago from the Century distributor in Canada...he seems to know more about the older Century helis then the current staff at Century USA. There is an article on their site that gives the complete cronology of the Hawk series and what changes where made with each version.

But as the curent Hawk Pro is such a great 30 size heli, and sells for such a low price, you would probably be better served by buyomg it outright and moving your motor and electronics to it and heep the old one to supply it with crash parts that are compatible..e.g feathering spindle, flybar, blade grips, landing gear components, tail boom, tail gearbx parts, tail rotor parts etc.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 AM
ChampN83927
My Feedback: (15)

tominator have you had any luck starting it yet? if not have you checked the glow plug? as you might know from the nitro trucks the plugs can burn out very easily when the mixture is way off. also i would try cleaning out the carburetor. it could have accumulated something that is clogging the fuel intake from sitting for how ever long it sat. one more thing to check is the fuel line it can dry out and get small cracks and or holes from sitting for a while. (dont forget the piece of fuel line that is inside the tank connected to the clunk.) one more thing..are you using the fuel recommended for the engine nitro and oil content? if not the heli motors can be very finicky to tune...A friend who has a jr venture that came with a webera motor that is supposed to run on 0% nitro is running it on 15% because there is no 0% available in the area had to run about a gallon and a half through it before the tuning was close enough to fly.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
tominator06

I haven't been messing with it much. I think I am going to totally disassemble the heli and rebuild. I will replace the fuel lines and am going to integrate a header tank as well. I assume there is some nasty gunk in the fuel system. Is fuel the best thing to use to clean the carb/tank parts? I use denatured alcohol in a spray bottle to clean the nitro gunk off my monster truck. I thought it might be fine for the heli as well. I got a gallon of 12.5% cool power heli with it but am sure it is trash because of its age. Would it still be fine as a cleaner? I was thinking of fabricating an engine stand for the motor so I can get it running. I cant get at all the fuel adjustment screws while on the heli. I figured I would mount a prop to it so it had some resistance. Im sure the air flow from the prop will affect the fuel/air mixture but I just want to get to start so I can reinstall and properly tune. Does this sound crazy?? Thanks for the replies, Tom
Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 AM
tominator06

Well I finally got her up in the air. Had to replace a few bushings with bearings but it seems fine now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25375.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1193129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35515.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1193130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10070.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1193131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81556.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1193132  
Old 10-28-2009, 10:52 PM
winginit69

very nice good to see you took the time to bring the hawk back to life!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 AM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still flying that helicopter with that enya? I once had that engine on my shuttle z. Great to see it flying. Hehe