Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven
Reload this Page >

Training balls can they give control problems?

Community
Search
Notices

Training balls can they give control problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 03:16 PM
gauicanada
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Training balls can they give control problems?

I have this training gear from a Robbe Mosquito and a 1/4 inch plywood pad that attaches these to my heli. This stuff is not super light a little on the heavy side. Can this extra weight on the bottom give me control issues? I added more wood today because I cracked the ply with a hard landing. Should I forget these things and make a nice wide stance aluminum set of landing gear.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:29 PM
alfredbmor

Default RE: Training balls can they give control problems?

It may not answer your question but may be a clue:
When I decided to took off the training balls from my Trex 450 it flew better, better inputs and responsiveness. I believe that the training balls cause some extra-weight and drag, making the helicopter more difficult to maneuver.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:10 AM
jamesc43
My Feedback: (2)

The training gear does several things. It spreads the footprint of the helicopter out so it is less likely to want to tip. It also
adds weight which lowers the center of gravity. This lower center of gravity also makes the heli less likely to tip. Like he
says, it also enduces some drag and slows the responsiveness down but the training gear should be used during hovering
and during basic manuvers. Once you become good at the basics of helicotper flight and are confortable, you might consider
taking the gear off.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:01 PM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Training gear are definitely an asset when learning to hover. But the long struts can, and will, act as tuning forks that serve to amplify any resonances that are present. You will usually find these to be present at some rotor speeds, but not at others. So changing the set-up for a different rotor speed will usually get rid of any that are present.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Gorgok

Edit: Wow i missed the last part of the above. Says the same thing i just posted. Oh well. I'll leave it here anyway.

Also if the training gear is flexible, like the standard stick and balls deal, they can pick up on vibrations of the heli and start to amplify them. Once they start going it can get real ugly real fast. I had some stick and balls on mine way back when that did this and i was forced to drop the heli down to the ground from maybe 4-5 feet up to stop it from shaking to pieces. But they took the impact and with the wide stance nothing was damaged. I took them off then and there and hovered fine the rest of the day. I guess i had outgrown them anyway =D.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM
SCORPION 2

If you are getting use to the training gear, you can always shorten them which will still give you stability and a larger footprint but will also increase the helis responsiveness.