Notices

motor stopped working....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:54 PM
John_jrp3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor stopped working....

Ok, i have a century swift. i decided to upgrade the 4s1p to a 6s1p as the manual says i can.

i went out hovered around dialing in the pitch and throttle some landing a few times to do so due to higher headspeeds now as the tail would not hold with my current setup. after the 3rd time i go to take off and the motor twitched like i lost a leg on the esc.

I bring it inside to check it out closer. the motor is very hot, keep in mind i never went over 75% throttle speed on this.

I ohm out the motor leads and they are getting continuity between legs, not sure how to test the 3 phase dc motors. and im gettin 12k ohm between 2 on the esc

i just got this not to long ago and have hovered it around the yard almost every night for a few weeks at around 80-90% throttle. on the 4s1p battery.

I was doin some research and ppl say dont run ur throttle at under 100% for over 30 seconds or it may burn up ur esc and motor? this true?

so maybe when i jumped to the 6s1p battery i flew for a minute or so and it fried it? before i always checked after a goot 5-7 minute flight and neither the motor or esc was hot till now.

any body know how to test the motor and esc on these?

and also why i may have burnt them up
Old 04-18-2010, 04:32 PM
rotordoc1

Default RE: motor stopped working....

Not much info there, to really advice, as you tell us what heli (Century Swift) but not what motor, what pinion, or what ESC or what batteries (Brand, MAH and C rating).

The Swift heli is capable of taking the power of a system driven by a 4S, 5S or 6S packs, but that all depends what motor, pinion and ESC's are installed in it.

Yes, with many ESC's it is not recommended to fly at lower then 80% throttle settings. Doing so can cause overheating and damage components.

Also, when you went to a 6S pack, if you did not change pinions on your motor, you may have cause the rotor speed to increase too much. If so the much increased current draw may easily cause components to overheat enough to damage them.

Did you buy it new? If so the shop you bought it from should be able to help you.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:40 PM
John_jrp3

all original stuff man 0 tooth motor and stock main i believe 96?
got it almost new, was used but only hovered a few times.........EBAY
by chance do u have skype or something rotordoc1 i can contact u their and we cna discuss this. thanks
username is same as here john_jrp3 ps. i sent u a friend request on skype
Old 04-18-2010, 05:43 PM
rotordoc1

Sorry no Skype.

First it is clear in the link that you gave for the ESC that it is a 60A ESC for use with a maximum 5S pack. NOT a 6S pack. That is clearly stated in the bold copy of its description.

As for the CNE277 motor, there is no specs in that link. But I would suspect that if the matching ESC is only speced for maximum use with a 5S pack then so would the motor.

Did you not get the instruction manuals for the motor and ESC from the person you bought the items from?

I am sure these manuals would tell you the voltage limits of the motor?

If you do not have the instructions for them maybe you can get them from the fellow you bought the units from or call Century. They may be able to supply you with them.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:51 PM
John_jrp3

well, i must say ur right. what pisses me off is when i read the details on the swift rtf on century heli.com it said specifically u could use a 6s battery. so its my fault.  

i can purchase the same esc and motor but stuck with a new 6s1p battery.

is their any decent motor and esc w/bec i can purchase for around the same price that will work.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:32 PM
rotordoc1

The only Swift RTF version that I know of is the one here:

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...?currentid=220

Their, it only states that it uses the 4S battery pack - I cannot find anywhere that says it can be used with a 6S.

And on Page 7 of the RTF the manual :

http://www.centuryheli.com/support/m...RTF_manual.pdf

it is very clear that the 75A ESC used in that version (which does not seem to be the same as the 60A CNE481 you linked me to) can ONLY be used with a 4S pack without damaging the ESC.

I had the older 550 motor and the older 55A ESC (predecessor to that 60A ESC that you refer to) in a Swift that I have since sold to a friend. It now has well over 300 flights on it and is still going strong. But has only been used on 4S and 5S packs as per the instructions. So I would think that buying another set and running them on the proper battery packs would work out fine.

But if you want to use your 6S pack, then go for their 80A ESC and their 600+ motor. I have that combo in two of my Swifts now and really like it. Then you can use it with any pack from 4S to 5S to 6S...and pick different head speeds, for different types of flying, by simply changing the $10.00 pinions.

P.S. You may not have damaged your motor, you may have only damaged your ESC, so maybe all you need is a new ESC. But if it is not damaged, and you want to use it with your 6S pack I would suggest you check with Century to insure it is capable of handling the 22.2Volts of your 6S pack.

I also think that the BEC part of the ESC is only for use to power the radio, when you are using 4S packs. If you are using 5s or 6s packs then I think you may have to remove the red wire from the BEC lead that goes to the throttle plug of the receiver and use a seperate 4.8V battery pack to power the radio gear. I know that was made very clear in the instructions for the 55A ESC that I had.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
John_jrp3

i tested the motor all the legs have no resistance. pulled the esc heat sinks off one side has 3 blown chips.  (transistors)

i have a good meter (fluke 77 IV)     the motor leads are reading .001kv ohms   

unfortunately both are smoked. thanks for ur help i iwll order new tomorrow and try again

will save the 6s1p for future helis tho.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:20 AM
John_jrp3

called century today,  the 550 1300kv motor will handle the 6s1p and their new upgraded esc will also handle it. so i hope to be in business this week. thanks for ur quick responses