RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/)
-   -   BEST GAS HELICOPTER (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/10628190-best-gas-helicopter.html)

ganesh gowda 07-19-2011 02:25 AM

BEST GAS HELICOPTER

Hi all
I am bit new to gas heli and wanted to buy one.I m nt pretty sure abt which is the best brand n where i can buy them .
Can anyone help me please

Thanks
Tim

rotor09 07-19-2011 07:52 AM

RE: BEST GAS HELICOPTER

If you are referring to gasoline powered helis, then the Century Predator series of gassers became the leader in them in about 2005. Their current Radikal series are the best now with the Radikal G30 for 700mm to 720mm blades and the G20 for 620mm to 640mm blades.

ganesh gowda 07-20-2011 11:37 PM

Rotor09:thanks a lot for the reply,i had a look at the century radical series in centuryheli.com website .The prices seems to be alright with the quality.Also i was wondering is der any other online purchasing site where i can do a price comparision.
I had a look at airstar mongoose heli on airstarintl.com,even des heli looks amazing ...

Any idea or how is it rated ??
In terms of quality,spares availability n service related which one is the best?airstar mongoose or century radical

Thanks
Tim

BarracudaHockey 07-21-2011 09:27 AM

Bergen RC makes about the best gassers on the planet IMHO

rotor09 07-21-2011 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: ganesh gowda

Rotor09:thanks a lot for the reply,i had a look at the century radical series in centuryheli.com website .The prices seems to be alright with the quality.Also i was wondering is der any other online purchasing site where i can do a price comparision.
I had a look at airstar mongoose heli on airstarintl.com,even des heli looks amazing ...

Any idea or how is it rated ??
In terms of quality,spares availability n service related which one is the best?airstar mongoose or century radical

Thanks
Tim
I have had many gassers since the early 90's and IMHO, the Century ones, overall, have stood head and shoulder above the rest.

You can find all kinds of info on them in the Century forums on HF and RR. If you need links I can PM them to you.

rotordoc1 07-21-2011 10:26 PM

I agree that Bergen makes a pretty nice gasser.

I liked my MinAir and Bergen gassers until I got my Predator about 5 years ago. Now I also have a Radikal. IMHO, they are a clear cut above the MinAir and Bergens which have since been sold.

bart.tech 12-18-2011 04:40 PM

I have 2 predators and some nitro century helis. No complaints at all. The radikal line is more for 3d being lighter than the predators.

OneHoof 01-23-2012 07:57 PM

Vario and Airstar are the absolute best quality gasser helicopters I have ever flown. I've had one Bergen which was okay and a MA Spectra G which was more for 3D.

Airstar is an upgraded Vario with more variety and selection. I've never flown a Century heli so I can't comment on them

Both Vario Benzin Acrobatics were extremely well enginered helicopters. Majestic fast helicopters. Rock solid in a hover. Autorotate great, no smoke and they flew for 35 minutes on one tank of gas!

My Airstar Mongoose has all the great flying characteristics of my Vario, but has painted frames, longer tail boom allowing for 850 mm rotor blades. Just when I thought Vario couldn't get any better Airstar took a great helicopter and made it even better.

I just put two auxillary fuel tanks which now gets me two hours of non stop flight time. I will soon put a longer boom on and upgrade to 950 mm rotor blades. I plan to turn this helicopter into a camera copter.

So my vote is for Vario/Airstar gassers! You just can't beat the rock solid German engineering. I promise you will be very pleased with Vario/Airstar. Good luck.

rotordoc1 01-28-2012 02:24 PM

I had a Vario Bezine Aerobatics some years ago. I do agree that they are as well engineered as some others I have had in the past. But I still predered my Predator overall. It was also very stable in any winds and was easy to set up at lower head speeds for more sports type of flying.

The Predator was a lot lighter (about 4.5 lbs), so it was a lot better 3D bird. Also, due to its lighter weight, it was much better in the auto using the same blades.

My Aerobatic was consequently modified and mounted into a scale Varo H500 fuselagey where its flying characteristics seemed better suited.

That is probably why Vario and their derivatives offer so much scale options and seem to specialize there.