RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/)
-   -   new krylon fusion paint on plastic canope? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/1276766-new-krylon-fusion-paint-plastic-canope.html)

SpaceCase 11-14-2003 09:51 AM

new krylon fusion paint on plastic canope?

Just picke dup some of that new plastic paint by krylon called fusion. Made just for plastics. Anyone use this, Im woundering if I have to clearcote it and will automotive clearcote work? Ill let folks know what happens, good or bad!

DMehalko 11-14-2003 10:19 PM

RE: new krylon fusion paint on plastic canope?

ya, that would be great. I have tried and tried to paint bodies and don't want to buy the fiberglass so let me know.

David

SpaceCase 11-18-2003 10:04 AM

Its dosnt work!!! why does krylone say it works on plastic only it dosnt!!!!! Im bumbed. Why is painting a plastic heli canope such a pain in the but?

DustOffUH1 11-18-2003 03:47 PM

Did you sand, then sand again, then clean the fuse w/ acetone, then you need to prime it b4 you put any paint on. Also letting the primer (car bumper primer is recommended), dry for a few days is helpful. If you don't do that, it will peel as easy as a banana, no matter what type of paint. Fiberglass is one of the hardest things to paint. Patience is the key. You must scuff the surface really good first, then clean it as I said above. You can't simply paint fiberglass & expect it to stick, because it won't.
Hope this helps,
Joe

SpaceCase 11-18-2003 09:20 PM

Yea but this is just the plastic milk jug type canope. Krylone says you can use this paint with no sanding or prep or primer!

DustOffUH1 11-19-2003 11:12 AM

If they say that, then I would contact them directly. I've never painted anything w/o prepping it first.
Joe

trey3670 12-06-2003 11:03 PM

that sucks i was hopeing for a better way to paint em too

shocker 01-04-2004 01:40 AM

i tried this junk too its bs !!! goes on ok but is as dull as a day old fart.i ended up goin ahead and put my caliber stickers on and clearing the whole thing. now that worked.you wont wanna leave it un-cleared because the stuff aint what they claimed and will not hold up without clear not fuel proof either !!!:eek:

reallynicejerk 02-07-2004 01:31 AM

It's no surprise that Krylon's fusion paint doesn't stay on, their regular spray-paint and their barbeque paint both suck and peel off all of the time, that "no prep" plastic paint stuff looks like pure hype.

Sorry to hear that you wasted your time and money on that stuff, but thanks for sharing your experience here with us to help save us from wasting our money on it as well, I was just about to go out and buy some and try it but luckily I googled first on krylon fusion and found this thread and found out that that stuff sucks.

I've seen this stuff called paint for plastic but I've only seen it on plaidonline.com and I don't know anything about that online store and I have never heard of this "paint for plastic" stuff anywhere else so that has my kind of skeptical of both plaidonline.com the store and this mythical product "paint for plastic" and whether or not it actually exists.

The link to it is this:

http://www.plaidonline.com/articleDe...&articleID=110

Anyway has anyone tried this paint for plastic stuff? If so, how well does it work?

reallynicejerk 02-07-2004 01:34 AM

ORIGINAL: DustOffUH1

Did you sand, then sand again, then clean the fuse w/ acetone, then you need to prime it b4 you put any paint on.
Here's Krylon's hype about how you don't have to do that with fusion:

http://www.krylon.com/product/gp_pro....asp?sgID=GP07

I wonder if maybe the krylon fusion will work better with some prep work.

Anyway, what do you use to paint plastic with DustOffUH1?

Thanks!

DustOffUH1 02-09-2004 01:01 PM

I don't see how it could stick w/o sanding, or priming. Paint needs that process to have a good surface to stick. I guess they're full of cr@p. If I saw that b4 this thread I might have thought that their paint has some kind of adhesive to be able to bond to a smooth surface. It obviously doesn't. I would try and get my $$ back.
Anyway. Like I said, scuff the surface with sandpaper, around 600 grit, clean it off with acetone. Then prime it with, Car Bumper Primer. It sticks like glue, dries fairly fast, sands nice, and is "flexible". Sorry I don't have the exact name, at work now. I'm not sure if you can buy it at an autoparts store. I got it on line. Anyway, after about 3 coats of primer and sanding, filling in between. Then I paint. I'm going to use Automotive paint (working on my Bell 222 now, again, finally). I haven't decided yet if I'm going to clear coat it myself, or take it to a body shop & have them do it. Some guys do that.
This is my first heli I'm painting. Although I have painted planes, and many static models. Believe me if you don't sand & primer, the paint will peel right off. Ask me how I know ;)
Joe
PS I'll try to post pictures of my progress painting my Bell 222. Here's what I'm using as a guide: [link=http://www.canopyfx.com/tips.html]Painting Tips[/link]

funder 02-11-2004 08:19 PM

Worked good for me. I just washed the canopy with soap and water then alcohal. Sprayed with auto clearcoat after drying. Looks good.:D

DustOffUH1 02-11-2004 09:58 PM

Well looks like it worked for funder. Just wanted to let you guys know the name of the bumper primer I'm using (actually at the moment, in between coats). Its called Wurth - saBesto - Flexi-Prime. Be sure to use a respirator, and have good ventilation, with this and all nasty stuff [:@] This stuff, dope & auto paint are the worst for fumes [:'(]
Joe

PS This is the stuff I'm using to prime my fuse with:
[link=http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/wus-89391019.html]Bumper Primer[/link]

SDsniper 02-29-2004 09:05 PM

The Main reason the Krylon wont stick is because of the canopy. The material the canopy is made of IE: Polypropylene and or polyethylene. If you look at the uses of these materials you will find that they are used for there ability to resist chemical attack.

When paint makes a bond it wicks in to microscopic pores in the surface. The poly class plastics don't have these pores in them which is why chemical containers are made out of them. Poly resists abrasion, is impervious to chemical attack. and is very flexible.

Krylon Fusion Uses a chemical called xylene to make the paint bond to plastic. Xylene chemically melts tiny holes in the surface of most plastics. IE: ABS, Plastic. The problem is Xylene is shipped in Polypropylene containers because it dose not melt or suffer chemical attack.

The reason it stuck to the one canopy was the bumper primer. Which would be comparable to Pactra polycarbonate body paint. its FLEXIBLE. It has elastomer's added to it. Which by the way did not bond to the canopy. It has what is called a pull strength just like adhesive sealant. Because it is flexible it moves with the canopy instead of cracking and pealing. Basically its on there by vacuum IE No air under it.

I hope this helps I just went through this with my canopy on my HawkIV its a pain in the rear but we just have to cope..

frieshoo 03-10-2004 10:37 AM

I read in another forum that you can 'heat' the canopy with a propane torch before painting, and almost any paint will stick to there century canopies....

I'm going to try it on the scrap piece first (the scrap is the leftover section after I cut out the canopy opening)...

I know some Spad guys who do this all the time....

basically,

take the torch, with about 1 1/2" flame, and quickly run it across the canopy... make sure to cover the entire canopy.... let it cool a few minutes, and spray on the paint or primer...

at first, I thought it had something to do with burning off excess oils... but someone told me the heat actually created little fallucals (sp?) for the paint to wick into....

I'll let you know the results..

KG4EHL 03-11-2004 08:40 PM

try using rc car body paint. seems to be fuel proof as well.