RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/)
-   -   Hawk sport..... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/7377473-hawk-sport.html)

NITRO_VEEDRIVER 04-15-2008 01:50 PM

Hawk sport.....

ok all so i sit here and i just traded my electric heli(walkera 60) for a hawk sport 30 size.... without elecs of course. but the walkera is full rtf. so now i ask this. how much info can you guys all give me on this bird... meaning the hawk sport:) lets here it ... the good the bad and the ugly . i wanna here lots of opinions on this heli pls.....

syclic 04-15-2008 11:43 PM

RE: Hawk sport.....

You are gonna love it. It is not a Hawk Pro, but a good little heli in its' own right.

Going from your Walscara to the Sport is like going from a soap box derby type car to a Honda Civic.

Take your time to set it up properly and it will fly very well and take you from hover to 3D.

I would get the feathering spindle collars from the Hawk Pro as soon as you can once you are into aerobatics. They tighten up the damping, and takes up the purposely designed vertical float (that makes for softer feel for training) in the spindle, resulting in a more linear collective relationship from right side up, to inverted.

NITRO_VEEDRIVER 04-16-2008 02:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
good analogy on it... yes i know its alot different then electric....on a better note i shall be goin to pick the hawk up friday morning:).... will post pics of it as is right now .....

syclic 04-17-2008 05:46 PM

Just a note on your statement "yes i know its alot different then electric."

Actually my analogy was relating to the micro/mini class of electrics you were flying.

My 5 cell electric Century Swift 16 with 520mm blades, flies very much like the Hawk Pro with the powerful Toki 40H in it. And there is not much difference in size either.

Props4ever 05-07-2008 10:03 AM

Make sure you fly it with Gyro or you rather sell this heli to someone who would...he he he

syclic 05-07-2008 02:15 PM

Yes....unless you want your training to progress VERY slowly - do use a gyro, even a basic Yaw rate unit. :)

NITRO_VEEDRIVER 05-09-2008 06:52 AM

sitting here waiting on a gyro:(

NITRO_VEEDRIVER 05-11-2008 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got my gyro. its a old mechanical one, but works. i havent tried it outside as of yet . no instructions came with it , but here are the pictures of it and what i found out . asked about it also and the way i have it setup is the correct way.

Props4ever 05-13-2008 01:28 AM

Hey Bud,

That's great that you got yourself a Gyro finally, it's worth waiting few extra days just to be safer then sorry. I'm waiting on a gyro now too but not in any kind of rush though.

Let us know your maiden flight's results now that you are ready to fly this heli...

NITRO_VEEDRIVER 05-13-2008 11:21 AM

not really ready so to speak. still need balls for the links to go on for servos. but am goin to fire it up some time today just to hear it run. and setup tx. also gotta get wire ties to tie the wires all back and strap the gyro down. its huge so i had to put it infront of the tank.

chris6414 07-11-2008 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys, just picked up a Mint Hawk sport and was wondering what the difference in the tail drive system was. I saw that there was an upgrade to a constant tail drive system. What exactly does this do and what does the stock Sport have. Does it's tail not continue to rotate in an Auto with the stock configuartion. Thanks for any info.

syclic 07-11-2008 11:29 PM

The current Hawk Pro and the previous Hawk Sport of three or four years ago, have many similarities, but some very important differences:

1 - The Pro uses a different lower frame - it uses the aluminum one from their Raven 50. This lower frame moves the fuel tank in under the mainshaft to keep the c.g. more consistant as the fuel is burned off, and also acts as a heat sink for better cooling.

2 - The Pro uses some special damping spacers on the spindle that provide harder damping and give a more consistant collective from right side up to inverted.

3 - The Pro replaces all of the pivot points in the Sport that used bushings, with bearings.

4 - The Pro replaced the wire-in-tube tail drive system of the Sport, with a torque tube tail drive system.

All of these can be added to the Sport at relatively little extra cost, and make it a surprisingly capable 3D machine, specially when used with the newer, more powerful Toki 40 or OS 37 engines and a good muffler, like their CN3037.

As for the autorotation system, like most 30's, both the Sport and the Pro, use the standard auto system that does not drive the tail during an autorotation. This leaves more energy in the blade for newbies practicing autos. But once you get proficient enough, and if you want to do inverted, aerobatic and backwards autos, you can always add the relatively inexpensive CTD system from the Raven 50.

chris6414 07-12-2008 07:34 AM

Thanks syclic, makes sense. Can't wait to get her flying. I have been flying a 450 elctric for a year and half now.

chris6414 07-13-2008 06:38 AM

I have another question on tracking. The manual says adjust pushrod "C" Is this a turbuckle thread set-up or a pop and twist link? I have a Belt Cp 450 electric and the turnbuckle link for pitch is the cat's A#$!!

gtseviper 07-13-2008 04:26 PM

I have some spare parts if you need ( frame..landing gears..tank, etc)

syclic 07-13-2008 09:39 PM

On the type of rotor head used on the Hawk (the bell mixer on the blade grip arm) - to adjust the tracking, you adjust the control rod that goes directly from the swash plate inner star, to the bell mixer.

chris6414 07-15-2008 07:10 AM

Thanks syclic. Hawk arrived yesterday and I was like a kid at Christmas:). Boy is this thing big compared to my 450 electric. I should finish the radio set-up today if I have some sprare time at lunch.

NITRO_VEEDRIVER 08-23-2008 02:18 PM

well here is a major update on the hawk sport. shes ready and able to be flown but the pucker factor seems to have me at midstick wanting to take off but my thumbs wont let me. something in back of my head is sayin dont do it... so i throttle right down and it shuts off.. but that is a good thing i am thinkin as well a month back i purchased my walkera 60 back from the guy i traded it too for the hawk. as all good things go i upgraded it from stock to brushless. had my first crash lastnight. fixed the one problem but needing main blades... i have posted the upgrade in another part of the forum so just watch for it... lol. oh the walkera 60 thread... lol mind went blank. anyways the crash is there also. its good to have my walkera 60 back home now that i have it upgraded....:) and congrats to all that have the hawk sports we need more postings on them. even pictures...:)
safe and happy flyin to all:)

jcervantes11 09-10-2008 08:01 PM

Take it to a club and see if any heli guy can help you. I've seen these, these are great flying machines. I'm working on getting the rtf shift before i go for a higher
nitro bird. Century shift rtf is a 30 size but brushless. I have a 15 size helicopter. So, I am looking for helimax 50 which is same as century 30 size heli i believe.
I dunno yet. But update me with everything too. :)

chris6414 09-11-2008 12:09 PM

My Hawk Sport is working great. I installed a Kinetic 50 Swash as it was about 6 bucks cheaper than the Century Swash. The one that came with mine (used) was warped as was the main shaft. I have my LEDs installed ans Scale tail and belly red flasher strobes and triple LED spot. To top it off I just finished my Woodie night blades. They work awesome! I am using a 2032 battery holder and some phone chord wire to power them with one standard white LED on eack tip. I use a piece of business card to slip in between the contact to turn them on and off. They balanced and track perfect. I had a homemade rotating beacon but it caused too much interference so I plan to use that as a field marker like on towers with one green and red LED rotating. I'll use a small LiPo to power it and place it up wind on a pole, on my approach path to mark a fence that is at the field I fly it. [&:]I know, I'm getting silly with this but that beacon took like two hours to fabricate and I am going to use it for something!:) I tested them last night in pitch black and look awesome. Now I need to really test them out in the dark.

jcervantes11 09-12-2008 02:56 AM

hehe :)

NITRO_VEEDRIVER 12-04-2008 07:32 PM

update on the hawk.... i am now goin full scale with it. i shall post updates when i get what i have commin to me...

chris6414 12-10-2008 07:49 PM

Found the dreaded loose tail gear pin in the tail yesterday. Never thought to check it until I read of a Hawk seizing it's tail in flight. Split my tail case and bam, out she slid. Set screw was there but had worked loose. It's the set screw in the end of the drive shaft

Human_Enigma 12-10-2008 09:33 PM

for piece of mind when you reinstall the pins, on both my hawk and my raven I dremeled (or filed)a small flat spot in the center of the pin and lined that up with the grub screw that goes in the end of the shaft.. it will give the set screw more purchase on a flat spot, rather than just locking against the curved surface of the pin. and if it does back off a bit, the flat spot should still catch the pin and plenty of blue loctite on the set screw after making sure nice and clean with carb cleaner..

NITRO_VEEDRIVER 12-15-2008 04:25 AM

well here sit still waiting on my project to arrive. seems like i may be getting some of it today or tommorow.(maybe) lol. anyways i am goin to be goin scale on this beast. i have resold my walkera 60 b so now i only have the hawk sport. anyways i was goin to wait to post pics of my scale build ,to tell yas what i am doin. but i am way to excited to hold it in any longer. i am finally getting my agusta 109a fuselage for it.. next i shall post pics when both peices arrive. as for now its time to get the mechanics ready to be installed. cheers and happy flyin to all you winter flyers.:) safe and happy holidays to all:)