Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

H-9 Phoenix 7 build note! mis-print!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: H-9 Phoenix 7 build note! mis-print!!

Finishing up on mine and note a mis-print on step 10: it call's for a 7/32" drill bit, IT SHOULD BE 3/32" bit. I'm sure everybody would catch this but thought I'd pass it along. Pete
To clarify - the above refers to the drilling of the holes in the engine mount.

FB
Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 PM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm jealous [] Pete ; by the way this airplane really smokes!!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Free Bird

For those that may be interested, here's a few pics so far and some observations.

1. The wing tips are fiberglass covered with UltraCote. No need to worry about dinging these!

2. Look very closely at the aileron and elevator hinge gaps - they're sealed! The rudder isn't.

3. In order to use the Eflite electric retracts, you'll need to do a little cutting here and there to make them fit. First the sheeting covering the rails (on mine anyways) were about 1/16" too long. A few seconds with a new #11 blade took care of that problem. Next, the plastic wells are a little shallow and don't allow the retract unit (Eflite) to fully seat on the rails. There's a couple of wires the run underneath retract motor and they sit/rub on the plastic cup. A few minutes with Mr. Dremel fixed that issue. There's also a piece of rib that needs to be slightly relieved for the wires.

4. As Pete already mentioned, the dimension for the firewall to the face of the thrust washer is slightly off by 3/32". Or maybe the firewall is installed at the factory a little too far forward. Either way it's not a big issue, just something to be aware of.

So far the assembly has been pretty easy and the above (to me anyways), are not a problem. This model is an incredible value for the money! More to come....

FB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93391.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1502717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46540.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1502718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99515.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1502719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17990.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1502720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69733.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1502721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12633.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1502722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89484.jpg
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1502723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87202.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1502724  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41104.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1502725  
Old 09-18-2010, 02:33 PM

Is the glass fuse, epoxy or poly?
Old 09-18-2010, 05:06 PM
rv7driver

FB, those retracts look great! A couple of guys here @ the SPA contest in Alabaster are running the 60NX with the jett tuned muffler and it really makes a big difference, it can be purchased from horizon a lot cheaper than jett according to them, somthing to think about if you don't want the tuned pipe system. this plane is just amazing in the air a few guys flew it and said it flew better than the orignal P-7. Pete
Old 09-18-2010, 07:26 PM

Freebird, what's your opinion of the built up wings vs foam cores? Lighter with same strength, adequate? are they fully sheeted both sides?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Free Bird

Freebird, what's your opinion of the built up wings vs foam cores? Lighter with same strength, adequate? are they fully sheeted both sides?
The wing is very light for its size. As mentioned, the tips are fiberglass as is the belly pan. The wing is sheeted on both sides giving the impression it's a sheeted core wing and it feels pretty strong. Overall it's very nicely done. I expect any issues with it.

FB, those retracts look great! A couple of guys here @ the SPA contest in Alabaster are running the 60NX with the jett tuned muffler and it really makes a big difference, it can be purchased from horizon a lot cheaper than jett according to them, somthing to think about if you don't want the tuned pipe system. this plane is just amazing in the air a few guys flew it and said it flew better than the orignal P-7. Pete
Very nice to hear that Pete! I'm up in the air about using a pipe or the tuned muffler. But I'll be doing like you, starting off using the muffler to get some time on the engine and become familiar with it as this is my first experience with an Evo. I didn't have a chance to work on it today, was far too nice a day and went flying. I'm pumped about this one as a need a pattern fix!

FB
Old 09-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Paternguy
My Feedback: (1)

I'm going to maiden mine in the morning.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Free Bird

I'm going to maiden mine in the morning.
What's your set up? and good luck, hope all goes well!

FB
Old 09-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Paternguy

P7 set up is Super Tiger 61 x, Macs header and pipe, zinger 11 x 8 prob. I also have the eflight retracts (more on that in a minute). I also have futaba 3152 digital servos.

First reaction, OMG, this thing is rock solid and very quick. Lands like a dream. This plane fly’s like it is on rails, I mean wow.

A couple of notes on construction that I would like to see fixed moving forward. First is the measurement for the engine mount, as previously mentioned in this post. Second I would recommend that the hole for the nose gear steering tube be drilled at the factory prior to installation in the fuse. Third please install a second pull string in the wing for the retract wire/tubes; I made up new combinations of words trying to get the wires pulled in.

Overall I have to say H9 did one heck of a job putting this thing together, please bring back some more classics. LOL

Now the Eflight retracts, they worked great for the first two and a half flights, and then the nose gear wouldn't drop on the third flight. I did manage to bring her in on the mains, with no damage to the nose. Upon further inspection it turns out the red and black wire that go into the back of the retract motor came loose; I suspect they weren’t attached very well and vibrated loose. I will contact Horizon and see what they want to do about it; I just hope they do it quick; I can't wait to fly this bird again.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM
rv7driver

My recommendations on control set ups: the high rates they give are for me to sensitive, the low rates are just right for high rate and having flown it in a contest and recommendations from Ron Chidgey ( Tiger Tail fame), I detuned the low rate even more. I use -40 to -45% Expo I just wish I was a better Pilot flying the plane, A lot of great pilots flew the P-7 this weekend and all comments were positive a lot more experience than I have.

Also I tried to install a Jett tuned muffler this morning I borrowed from Mike William and it was about 1/16" from completely mounting to the engine at the rear mount, and was rubbing against the fuselage, I'm sure jett makes a spacer for a simple fix, looks like 1/4 to 3/8" will work

Regards, Pete[8D]
Old 09-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Free Bird

P7 set up is Super Tiger 61 x, Macs header and pipe, zinger 11 x 8 prob. I also have the eflight retracts (more on that in a minute). I also have futaba 3152 digital servos.

First reaction, OMG, this thing is rock solid and very quick. Lands like a dream. This plane fly’s like it is on rails, I mean wow.

A couple of notes on construction that I would like to see fixed moving forward. First is the measurement for the engine mount, as previously mentioned in this post. Second I would recommend that the hole for the nose gear steering tube be drilled at the factory prior to installation in the fuse. Third please install a second pull string in the wing for the retract wire/tubes; I made up new combinations of words trying to get the wires pulled in.

Overall I have to say H9 did one heck of a job putting this thing together, please bring back some more classics. LOL

Now the Eflight retracts, they worked great for the first two and a half flights, and then the nose gear wouldn't drop on the third flight. I did manage to bring her in on the mains, with no damage to the nose. Upon further inspection it turns out the red and black wire that go into the back of the retract motor came loose; I suspect they weren’t attached very well and vibrated loose. I will contact Horizon and see what they want to do about it; I just hope they do it quick; I can't wait to fly this bird again.
My recommendations on control set ups: the high rates they give are for me to sensitive, the low rates are just right for high rate and having flown it in a contest and recommendations from Ron Chingey ( Tiger Tail fame), I detuned the low rate even more. I use -40 to -45% Expo I just wish I was a better Pilot flying the plane, A lot of great pilots flew the P-7 this weekend and all comments were positive a lot more experience than I have.

Also I tried to install a Jett tuned muffler this morning I borrowed from Mike William and it was about 1/16" from completely mounting to the engine at the rear mount, and was rubbing against the fuselage, I'm sure jett makes a spacer for a simple fix, looks like 1/4 to 3/8" will work

Regards, Pete
This is all great info guys! Thanks for passing it on. I'll also check my retracts wiring.

Paternguy - was there any issues fitting the nose gear?

FB
Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Paternguy

No issues with fitting the nose gear. I did have to modify the cut outs for the mains to prevent the wires from rubbing and to allow the retracts to sit in the opening level.

I will let you know what I find out from Horrizon about the nose gear.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 PM
rv7driver

Pattern guy sorry to hear about your retract problem, hope H9 works with you quickly and makes it right. Please keep us posted.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:56 PM
rv7driver

'I forgot to say leave the rudder @ max throw!!! Pete
Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Paternguy

I have my rudder at max throw and at full rates I have 90% of the recomended control throws at max rate and 65% on low rates.

I was getting a little over rotation at the recomended throws, at 90% makes me look a lot better than I am. LOL
Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Pattern guy,

We have replacements in stock. If you call and explain the problem you should be able to get a replacement nose gear unit. If not PM me, we'll get you hooked up. I am confident teh product support guys can handle it. They are some of the best in the business.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Paternguy

We are good, I spoke with a rep this afternoon and they are sending out a new unit. It took all day to get a hold of someone, but in the end they took good care of me.

Thanks.

I can't wait to fly this thing some more and get it dialed in all the way.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:42 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Great report!

I also fly mine on low rate aileron and elev. High rate rudder all the time (dont even have a low rate). I set the low aileron rate like I used to back in the day (when I was a kid.....just had to throw that in). So at full deflection, 3 rolls take 5 seconds. I use high rate ail in Fig Ms, Cuban 8, Double Imm, Sq loop w/ 1/2 rolls and Tri-roll loop. All the rest is on low rate. Hi elevator I only use in a 3 turn spin. Everything else on low.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Paternguy

Great to hear that I'm not the only one who thought the suggested rates were a little high. LOL

I am really chomping at the bit to fly mine some more, three flights wan't enough to cool my jets. LOL
Old 09-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Paternguy

I received the new retract today just as promised. Thanks again to Horrizon, you guys are great.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:18 AM
playntraffic

ORIGINAL: rv7driver

Also I tried to install a Jett tuned muffler this morning I borrowed from Mike William and it was about 1/16'' from completely mounting to the engine at the rear mount, and was rubbing against the fuselage, I'm sure jett makes a spacer for a simple fix, looks like 1/4 to 3/8'' will work

Regards, Pete[8D]

Hey Pete. It was good meeting you in Alabaster. I have found that the standard Dubro muffler extension for .40-.46 works fine to offset the Jett muffler and clear the fusealage.

I am about 80% done with assembly. I stopped last night when running the throttle cable got me stumped. How did you guys route your cable so that you miss the nose gear blocks ? Thanks.

Mike Wieczorek
Old 09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
rv7driver

Mike first Congrats on taking first place! enjoyed meeting you also. what engine are you using? I used a 1/8"x 6 inch long drill bit,mounted the engine looked through the front of the opening and lined it up with the firewall and throttle arm marked it,removed the engine drill through the fire wall then ran the tubing through the firewall to the servo. I had no issues with the throttle getting in the way of the nose gear. let me know if I can help further . regards, Pete

Thanks also for the info on the Dubro Extension!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:34 AM
playntraffic

Pete

I got the Pheonix up in the air last Saturday. Really nice flyer and plenty of power with the 60nx and tuned muffler.

I had a problem with the Dubro extension that I told you about. When everything was bolted down tight the muffler still rubbed at the back end with the 1/2" Dubro extension. I fixed it with an automotive exhasut gasket and have asked Hangar 9 if they have any suggestions.

Anyone know of a muffler extension longer than 1/2" for a 46 sized muffler ? The bolt pattern is the same as OS, TT, Tower, GWS, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67460.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	583.5 KB
ID:	1508413  
Old 09-29-2010, 11:42 AM
rv7driver

Mike, very nice, question for you: how long do you think the extension needs to be to clear the fuselage?? I'm going to get in touch with Dub jett and see if he can come up with something, I would like your input before I call him. Regards, Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.