Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

H-9 Phoenix 7 build note! mis-print!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: H-9 Phoenix 7 build note! mis-print!!

There's an ad in MA mag, PNP I think and he has 3/4" extensions.

FB
Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 PM
playntraffic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete - the 1/2" extension ALMOST works. Another 1/8" would be comfortable.

I looked at the PSP extension and I do not know if it will work. It looks like some type of adapter for the Ultrathrust muffler based on the photo. 3/4" would work nicely though. I will call them and ask. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71644.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1508481  
Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 PM
bbrundle
My Feedback: (40)

Dubro makes a 5 or 6 inch ( can not recall which) muffler extension that you can cut to the length needed. This will fit the bolt pattern on the 60NX

Great looking photo,
Old 10-01-2010, 06:00 AM
Free Bird

OK, finally found some time yesterday to work on my P7. Got the E-flite retracts in, but still need to hook up the nose gear steering. They work awesome, gotta love plug'n play!

Have a couple of questions concerning muffler/pipe:
1. Pete, you were runnning a muffler to start with. Did you install retracts? If so, did you get any exhaust residue in the fuselage? Should I coat the inside of the fuselage behind the firewall?

2. Has anyone installed the recommended pipe yet? I'm picking mine up today and was wondering if the header needs to be tweeked. I also have the option of getting the recommended tuned muffler, but I haer that you need an extension on the exhaust port so the muffler will clear the fuselage.

3. The E-flite nose retract has a lever on it for pushrod steering instead of pull/pull cables. Anybody used this? I'm thinking of using the pull/pull cables. Any thoughts?

FB
Old 10-01-2010, 07:52 AM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

FB, installing the retracts as we speak, I still have the stock muffler on the P7, I did not notice any residue inside the airplane just the normal residue on the outside, Mike was trying to install the the jett tuned muffler he had to use a dubro extension ( see above post). I replaced the steering cables with a push rod kinda a pain but I think it will give a more positive steering, seems to have a lot of Slope with the cables, guess it what you want. send pic, of your retracts. regards, Pete
Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 AM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Pete, what are you getting for RPM numbers with the stock muffler on the 60 NX and what prop. Thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 08:15 AM
rv7driver

Paul, was getting around 11300 with a 11x7 APC, 10% cool power, think I could get more but I don't push engines. the plane flew great! Pete
Old 10-01-2010, 08:19 AM
pitstop000

Thanks Pete. Wait until you put a pipe on it ! and some more nitro.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Free Bird

The nose gear fit easily without any mods at all. The supplied pattern for the cutout worked for me. As stated, just need to get the steering done.. The mains (E-flite) were a different story, just minor stuff. First is that the wells aren't deep enough for the motor drives. Very simple to fix that with a Dremel and remove the plastic from the bottoms of the well. Next is the coils on the mains, they don't line up with the cutouts. There's a couple of options here. Either move the gear assemblies in toward the root (probably about 1/2"), but that means the sheeting that covers the mounts needs to be cut away and replaced on the other side of the mount. Next is to slide gear leg out some, but then only one set screw holds the leg in the mount. The approach I used was to grind the cutout larger to accommodate the coils. Hope this doesn't weaken the mounts. Time will tell.

You're using the Evo 60NX, correct? What prop/fuel/nitro content are you using? What RPM are you getting?

FB
Old 10-01-2010, 09:24 AM
pitstop000

FB, here are my numbers that I’m getting with the 60NX
Mostly Stock .60 NX w/Jett muffler no spacer, 20/20+ fuel
APC 10-8 15,100
APC 11-6 14,400
Never used the stock muffler,
Motor is in a Patriot
Old 10-01-2010, 09:27 AM
rv7driver

FB, see post above. I'm going to install the tuned pipe and see what I get! can't wait. I'm installing Spring Air retracts. Pete
Old 10-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Free Bird

APC 10-8 15,100
APC 11-6 14,400

Motor is in a Patriot
Paul - thanks for the numbers! Is using 30% nitro a good idea on a pipe, or should I stick with 15%?

FB, see post above. I going to install the tuned pipe and see what I get! can't wait. I'm installing Spring Air retracts. Pete
Thanks Pete. I'll be starting off with the stock muffler. Haven't decided which nitro content (30% or 15%) I'll be using as I have both. Post some pics of your gear setup.

FB
Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 AM
pitstop000

I’ve run the motor on 40%, head shimmed, didn’t really get better numbers but got a broader needle valve setting,
plus you get an awesome smell of burnt nitro in the air on a low in fly by, everyone backs up a little.
Spectators like it, pilots not so much.
This setup is only for my Patriot, not really a pattern ship setup, too aggressive, midrange suffers a tad depending on maneuver.
30% is doable, probably will need to shim , 20% no shims.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Free Bird

I’ve run the motor on 40%, head shimmed, didn’t really get better numbers but got a broader needle valve setting,
plus you get an awesome smell of burnt nitro in the air on a low in fly by, everyone backs up a little.
Spectators like it, pilots not so much.
This setup is only for my Patriot, not really a pattern ship setup, too aggressive, midrange suffers a tad depending on maneuver.
30% is doable, probably will need to shim , 20% no shims.
Hope this helps.
That helps a LOT! Thanks Paul!

FB
Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 PM
_Tommy D
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

APC 10-8 15,100
APC 11-6 14,400
Motor is in a Patriot
Muffler <Jett> makes a huge difference from reading the 60NX thread.

Broke mine in with a very healthy dose of Castor. Once broken in on 10% Nitro and a 11x6 APC Prop I got 12,900 RPM @ sea level. Going to put a older Ultra Thrust Muffler on it to see how it responds.

I do wonder though, when Jett and the likes manufacture a particular muffler, do they take into account the fact you might have to add an extension. I mean we all know what a engine does when say the tuned pipe is too long. Can the same be said as some add 1/2... 5/8" extensions to the muffler??

Tommy D
Old 10-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Free Bird

Muffler makes a huge difference from reading the 60NX thread.

Broke mine in with a very healthy dose of Castor. Once broken in on 10% Nitro and a 11x6 APC Prop I got 12,900 RPM @ sea level. Going to put a older Ultra Thrust Muffler on it to see how it responds.

I do wonder though, when Jett and the likes manufacture a particular muffler, do they take into account the fact you might have to add an extension. I mean we all know what a engine does when say the tuned pipe is too long. Can the same be said as some add 1/2... 5/8" extensions to the muffler??

Tommy D
Tommy - do you have a link to the 60nx thread? I couldn't find a specific thread.

Went the the LHS yesterday to pick up the tuned pipe and header, and they ordered the wrong stuff. Instead of the tuned pipe, they ordered the tuned muffler. So I went home with it remembering that I have an older Du-Bro 1/2" extension that'll fit (I check it out when I got home). After I get some time on the engine with the stock muffler, I'll change over to the tuned muffler. That should answer the question about using the extension. What's a good plug for this engine? I usually use OS #8.

I ran into another small issue with the E-flite retracts in the wing. After fitting the wheels and cycling them a few times, I could see the wheel well cup moving a little bit when the gear was fully retracted. It appears that the wheel collar it bottoming out and binding the gear. Not good! I've already cut the axel flush with the collar, so I'll need to make a hole in the cup for the wheel collar. The gear works great, but it's not designed for this airframe.[:@] I know that it'll be worth it in the end though. On with the build!

FB
Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 AM
pitstop000

ORIGINAL: _Tommy D

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

APC 10-8 15,100
APC 11-6 14,400
Motor is in a Patriot
Muffler <Jett> makes a huge difference from reading the 60NX thread.

I do wonder though, when Jett and the likes manufacture a particular muffler, do they take into account the fact you might have to add an extension. I mean we all know what a engine does when say the tuned pipe is too long. Can the same be said as some add 1/2... 5/8'' extensions to the muffler??

Tommy D
These mini pipes are “quickieâ€(Race) tech that trickled down to the flier. When the Nelson Ultra Thrust mufflers hit the scene, if I remember correctly it was latter that JETT also started offering them. They were big news for the ease of making power without tuning a full system every time you changed props. These pipes do favor the smaller higher revving props but still make more power regardless. Using extensions will lower the rpm numbers, marginally at the ¼ to ½ inch, more than that will hurt performance numbers than without.

I ‘been running these types of pipes Nelson/Jett with great success through the years, just about everything I run has a mini pipe or full system on it.

Jett does make extensions in different lengths and angles, but from what I’m seeing the Nelson Ultra Thrust pipes might be disappearing completely.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:15 AM
pitstop000

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

Muffler makes a huge difference from reading the 60NX thread.

I do wonder though, when Jett and the likes manufacture a particular muffler, do they take into account the fact you might have to add an extension. I mean we all know what a engine does when say the tuned pipe is too long. Can the same be said as some add 1/2... 5/8'' extensions to the muffler??

Tommy D
Tommy - do you have a link to the 60nx thread? I couldn't find a specific thread.

Went the the LHS yesterday to pick up the tuned pipe and header, and they ordered the wrong stuff. Instead of the tuned pipe, they ordered the tuned muffler. So I went home with it remembering that I have an older Du-Bro 1/2'' extension that'll fit (I check it out when I got home). After I get some time on the engine with the stock muffler, I'll change over to the tuned muffler. That should answer the question about using the extension. What's a good plug for this engine? I usually use OS #8.

I ran into another small issue with the E-flite retracts in the wing. After fitting the wheels and cycling them a few times, I could see the wheel well cup moving a little bit when the gear was fully retracted. It appears that the wheel collar it bottoming out and binding the gear. Not good! I've already cut the axel flush with the collar, so I'll need to make a hole in the cup for the wheel collar. The gear works great, but it's not designed for this airframe.[:@] I know that it'll be worth it in the end though. On with the build!

FB
FB,
I recommend braking in the motor with the tuned muffler installed and a 9/6 prop at WOT if you can bear the noise. Make sure the motor does not go lean and keep the RPM up; I also keep an eye on temp.

Here are some links on RCU about the motor, which you might find helpful.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96..._1/key_/tm.htm ( Definitely take a look at post 18)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91..._1/key_/tm.htm

This little motor has become my GO TO mill, for the 40/ small 60 size frame.
I haven’t been excited about a motor in years. I rave about this mill to every field I go to.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:47 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Ok.....I've read through this entire thread. I'm in the process of getting mine assembled. First off, I've gotta trim the inside of the retract well so that the retract motor doesn't sit on top of the wires. I noticed that was a problem upon inspection. Next, how in the heck did you guys get your retract leads ran through the wing, and out throught the servo lead opening? I tried for over an hour the other night, and finally got frustrated and went to bed.

I'm using an OS .75 AX for my powerplant. I thought seriously about going with the Evolution, but had a sneaking suspicion that the plane would come out tail-heavy, even with everything far forward. I read in here somewhere that my suspicions were right. Anyway, I now have the nose weight.

Any advice on how to run the retract leads would be much appreciated.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:20 AM
pitstop000

The .75 is a good power plant but don’t be surprised if the plane comes out nose heavy with retracts.
The comment about the tail being heavy with the 60NX was without retracts installed.
Good Luck.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Taurus Flyer

yard-dart

Let it be clear I do not know the plane but I have a "tip".
If you need a thread through the hoses in the wing you can use a vacuum cleaner.
Be careful with the covering.
Maybe the best way to do is use the cleaner in the centre section and feed the thread in the mounting positions of the retracts.
(I see it is the hose from retract to servo, maybe you can use the method but use a disk over the servo position with a hole in the centre to protect the covering)
Start with a cotton thread or wool !!!!

Success,

Cees
Old 10-02-2010, 10:49 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

I agree, the 75 is good bit heavier than the 60. One thing I was also considering about the plane is it's short nose. Most fiberglass fuselages, ones with long tail moments and short noses, tend to be tail heavy. So, that was the main reason I went with the 75. Worse case scenario, I'll have to move my battery back a bit. I'd much rather a plane be a tad nose heavy than one a tad tail heavy. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:21 PM
rv7driver

I'm thinking the post about being tail heavy was mine,to lazy to go back and find it, yes no retracts I move the battery forward 1/2" and it balanced perfect with the 60NX. I'll tell you I was surprised see the 60nx was so light. all up weight was 7lbs 4 oz. I'm now installing a set of Spring air retracts. The plane flew great with the fixed gear, finally got the engine turning around 12,300 RPM with the stock muffler!!!!slowly sneaking up on it.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Free Bird

Next, how in the heck did you guys get your retract leads ran through the wing, and out throught the servo lead opening? I tried for over an hour the other night, and finally got frustrated and went to bed.
That's an easy one. Before pulling the aileron servo lead through the wing, tie 2 pieces of string to the string that's already in the wing and pull it through to the center. You now have 2 draw strings, one for the aileron servo and one for the retract. Repeat for the other side.

FB,
I recommend braking in the motor with the tuned muffler installed and a 9/6 prop at WOT if you can bear the noise. Make sure the motor does not go lean and keep the RPM up; I also keep an eye on temp.

Here are some links on RCU about the motor, which you might find helpful.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96..._1/key_/tm.htm ( Definitely take a look at post 18)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91..._1/key_/tm.htm

This little motor has become my GO TO mill, for the 40/ small 60 size frame.
I haven’t been excited about a motor in years. I rave about this mill to every field I go to.
Paul thanks for the great info! What should the needle setting be? Normal for flying, or a little on the fat side to be on the safe side? What nitro content and plug are you using?

FB
Old 10-03-2010, 08:54 AM
pitstop000

Paul thanks for the great info! What should the needle setting be? Normal for flying, or a little on the fat side to be on the safe side? What nitro content and plug are you using?
[sm=shades_smile.gif]Ha Ha, You want me to tell you everything? I’m using K&B plugs, have always had good luck with them over the years.
In this setup with the High nitro Red Jett mini pipe and the smaller prop the Hp plug is my choice, but since the weather is getting colder I’ll probably be switching to 1L or shimming it between the two.

I assume that you’ll be using the Blue mini pipe, said to have more torque than the Red version from Jett, might be better in the air in the Phoenix with an 11/6 11/7 prop, stay with 20% and 1L plug or maybe a McCoy 8 since we’re going into colder weather.

As far as needle settings at launch, I do all that by ear and feel.

Whatever you do stay on the Rich (Safe) side even if you have to land once or twice to get the needle just right.

Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.