Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Electric Classic Patern Plane (Was Phoenix 7)

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Electric Classic Patern Plane (Was Phoenix 7)

Old 10-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Classic Patern Plane (Was Phoenix 7)

OK, since my original discussion of electrifying a Phoenix 7 has taken that thread way off topic, I've decided to open this thread to let that thread more closely stay on topic. Apperently here at RCU thread drift is looked down upon.

So we were discussing the virtues of building a mid wing plane as opposed to a low wing plane. Cees thinks that a mid wing airframe is best because it flys better and it will allow me to put the batteries in the pipe tunnel.

I think that having a top mounted battery hatch is better from a convenience stand point and, I can source a classic airplane kit like the Tiporare and or Curare. After looking at what's out there, I could just buy Great Planes Ultra Sport 60 kit too.

What I want is a classic looking pattern plane. I'm not going to compete with this plane so it dosen't have to be SPA legal. I also want it to be electric powered. I want it to have retracts and I want it to be fast and smooth in the air. Any recomendations or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Wiz
Old 10-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Electric Classic Patern Plane (Was Phoenix 7)

Mike,

Maybe key words are retracts and prop diameter.

The mid winger will have very long mains when using retracts, combined with a large diameter of the propeller, a disadvantage.
A short nose leg gives the room for battery in the bottom part of fuselage when retract.
Will it be a solution to look for a model, not low or mid but between them.
Of course it is important also for a bottom positioned battery to have an easy way of mounting the battery pack, so integrated in the removable belly pan?
Only to give you a second view, it is your plane.

Cees

Old 10-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

It's all good, Cees. Different opinions sometimes help a person decide what's most important. I appreciate everything you've said so far. You've given me many things to consider. I think the Tipo and/or the Ultra Sport 60 would be best for me at this point but I'm not willing to pull the trigger untill I do a little more research.

Thanks again!

Wiz
Old 10-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

Having fun in modeling is most important of all.

Success

Cees
Old 10-03-2010, 04:49 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

A Modeltech Calypso, EZ Supra Fly 60, EZ Supra Star 60, EZ Mystic 60 - all Hanno Prettner designs, Wolfgang Matt Saphir 1 (Modeltech and Robbe) and MK Joker 60 should be rather easy to convert to electric. They have only main gear,retractable, so a larger prop should be no problem. All of the mentioned planes are top classic planes.
Modeltech Calypso appear now and then on the famous auction site or here at RCU for sale. Saphir 1 sometime appear also but the rest of the planes mentioned is almost impossible to find. There is however a drawing made of Supra Star 60 you can find here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9632573

If You should want little larger F3A planes with fixed gear MK Laser 200, MK Zlin Z-50L, MK Akromaster would be fine electric candidates in my opinion, MK Chipmunk also and has retracts - all made for 120 4-stroke. Hard to find kits but sometimes appear on the famous auction site.

/Bo
Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 AM
DaveL322

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

Have you figured out the power system yet?

My knowledge of "classic" power only goes back to the mid 80s......so I am not familiar with the commonly used P7 power systems.

However, I do have an electric Sundowner 50 that regularly hits 120s on the radar gun. With very good cooling ductwork, heat to the motor, ESC, and lipo are not a problem, even on 100F days -
Eflite Power 46
Castle Creations ICE Lite 100
Thunder Power 5s 3850

And...some numbers - static / slight climb in air / fully unloaded (bottom of loop at full power)

APC 12x11N
Amps 103 / 90 / 60
Watts 1900 / 1600 / 1100
RPM 10200 / 10000 / 10800

APC 11x12
Amps 100 / 80 / 60
Watts 1900 / 1450 / 1100
RPM 10200 / 10000 / 10800

Good for 3.5 minutes of very aggressive throttle (using ~3200 mah), and with a running start, the 12x11N has vertical well in excess of any classic pattern setup. I prefer the 12x11N as the vertical is greatly improved over the 11x12, which is maybe 5 mph faster. I'd think a 5s5000, 11x10DW, and reasonable throttle use would get you to 6 minutes of flight time and still 100+ mph level flight speed.

Regards,
Old 10-12-2010, 05:11 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Wiz,

The electric classic plane can be flown in CPA ( classic pattern association ) events.. Electrics where in the 1976 rule books..

Scott