Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Phoenix 7 Nose heavy

Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 AM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Phoenix 7 Nose heavy

I just finished mine last night. Now I am scared to fly it.......the tail is jacked up like 6-8" higher than the nose when it sits on the ground. Is this normal? I would think it should be close to level on the ground. All I did was go up 1/4" in wheel size on the mains and the nose, so I upped the size of the wheels proportionally. This is crazy how high the tail sits up when on the ground. I have the main landing gears tightened on the notches that were in the wire...I must be missing something here. Anybody please help I want to fly tomorow. Is this how this plane is supposed to sit?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plane tends to look pointed down. I installed retracts ( E-flight) and BVM brakes and measured carefully and the angle of attack was negative. I ended up cutting 5/16ths off the the length of the rear struts and that put the angle at zero. I assume you are not running retracts. If you were the wheel pockets in the wing can serve as a guide. On a level surface measure the height above the table of the trailing edge of the wing and the approximate height of the center of the leading edge. They should be the same. You can double check it with a Great Planes incidence meter if one is available. If its not level simple cut the rear struts. The biggest problem with the plane is the CG tends to be nose heavy. Tail weight is simple to add.

Other than that the plane is a good flyer. It is very fast. From your initial question you may be new to model aircraft. If so this plane in the hands of a beginner would be a disaster. Get help as this plane easily cruises in excess of 100mph.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:32 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In many cases the model was deliberately designed to have a negative wing angle on the ground. the reasoning was, when a 'Touch and go' was still part of the pattern, and landings were still a scoring manoeuver, having the wing go negative on the ground meant that, in theory, there would be no score reducing bounce. The wing would go negative when the nosewheel touched and the model would be effectively sucked on to the ground. You need to check the original plans, and the designers intent.
Evan, WB #12.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:58 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a P-6, main's set to plan's, NG the same. Another 6 here, almost done, the same. Both Skyglas. This one going to Jack A. in Liberty Township. I have a Skyglas P-7 kit, I am going to compare main strut length's. If you need brake's for hard surface runway's, you can find the old CG friction brakes for the NG on the bay sometime, or RC flea market's.

Vince
Old 11-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Crankpin the P7 I was referring to above was built for Jack A in Liberty Township . He must be buying up every pattern ship he can find! Picture 1 looks like its a positive angle of attack but I understand how a photos perspective can be deceiving.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:49 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks level to me, but in a nice lania overlooking the pool, a positive attitude is immediately assumed!
Chris...
Old 11-07-2010, 04:16 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Looks level to me, but in a nice lania overlooking the pool, a positive attitude is immediately assumed!
Chris...

ha! well said Chris.