Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: EU-1 vs. EU-1A Differences Help

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

ORIGINAL: pitstop000
    How about the dihedral? Do we have that number? Supposedly cut into the cores .
    Paul,

If you look at the fuse plan it shows the dihedral brace.

Bryan
    Bryan, there’s a lot going on in this thread, but I was referring to the FG EU1-A kit.

Oops! MY bad.I thought this was the UE-1A thread. Hehehe
    Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guy's this is great , but i have 1 question is there a PLAN for the EU-1A??

PAT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

ORIGINAL: flyingtheoldones

Bryan,
    ah... you have the wrong plans... thats the ''UE''-1A .* lol..

still cant figure that one out.
    Does anyone know why it is called the EU-1A??

DM
    I know that one. Its named after Wayne's wife which starts with an E (forgive me Wayne I cant remember her name). E Ulery-1

The A is just because its the second version of the design.

Emily is her name....
    The ground reached up and smote my airplane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AMA1319

In a former lifetime I flew an EU1-A with Dean Koger at Wright Patt AFB and loved it. And a few years back before they went out of business got a complete EU1-A kit from a place in TN. It sits here in my shop ready to build. After reading all of this guess what my winter project will be! Sure glad I found this site.

Dick Cline
    AMA 1319
    Hi , do you want to sell that kit ? LMK Thanks !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some memories of my EU-1. I will discuss the EU1-A later on. It was designed for the FAI pattern that was flown at the time, 1974/1975. I believe it was the largest FAI airplane at 1,000 sq. in. wing area to that date. Yes it was large but I wanted a slower flying airplane hence the size. Also the low aspect ratio of the wing at 4 to 1 was to provide a faster roll rate. (Yes the ailerons should have been larger but there was no 3-D at the time. I told Don Lowe I used the 17% thick airfoil to make more drag. I said I wanted 'clean drag'. He just laughed and said there was no such thing as 'clean drag'. I suppose we could still argue that point...and I am sure he would win that one. Don Lowe made the first flights for me at the WPAFB club field on the base. Dean Koger, whom I had not previously met saw the flight and approched me about building one for competition. I gave him a set of the plans from which he construted the second model from foam and balsa. He flew it in competition at the 1977 team trials and finished 5th. At that point, I decided to make a fuselage plug, mold and fuse part. I saw in a Popular Mechanics Magazine that they were making canoes out of this wonderful new fabric Kevlar. I contacted a canoe maker and he sold me enough for the fuselage. I soon found out that the cloth was almost impossible to cut with knife or sissors. Dean flew this new kevlar composite fuse EU-1 at the 1979 team trials and finished 3rd which put him on the team. Because of his finish at the Worlds, Dean qualified for the next T.O.C.. The first several T.O.C.'s used FAI pattern airplanes. Soon after my good friend Dave Scully, owner of Aero Composites, asked if he could kit the airplane. He asked if it would be alright to make some changes. I readly agreed. He kept the planform the same but gave it a look that resembled the F-4. He wanted to change the wing airfoil to 15% for less drag. He was obviously correct as the 17% was a little too 'clean draggy'. The new look of the EU1-A was outstanding and many kits were sold with many various color schemes applied. It did very well in competiton. Ask Louis Patton how many contests he won with his EU1-A. The name EU1? Here is the scoop. My wife's name is Emily. I think you can figure it out from there. Wayne Ulery
    !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow! It's great to have the original designer of the EU-1 participate in this discussion! Welcome Wayne!

RG
    Ralph Geese, AMA 36403, NECPO #2
    Wanna hover? Fly a heli!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wayne I agree with Ralph, its great to hear the "back story" about planes from that era from the designers we knew only from afar. Thanks
    Ron McCormick
    AMA 53109, CPA 6, NSRCA 726

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wayne thanks for posting in my thread!! In this day of easy ARFs and easy in and out pathways to this hobby, to hear from an original designer of a classic design is priceless!! I learned many things from your post, but the one that made me chuckle is the naming convention that you used; I will now correctly refer to it as the EU1-A.

Thanks,
    Gene Margiotti

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wayne,

welcome to RCU! An honour to have your RCU post #1 in a thread discussing your very own magnificent design. Long live Emily Ulery #1 - modified...

By the way, I understand you had been working with QQ the last few years. Are you still doing so or are you moving to different pastures?

Consider yourself lucky Gene! I did when Jim Kimbro posted on my Deception build.

David.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wayne , thanks for chiming in with all the info ! Please share some of your photo files of the planes if you have time . Thanks !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David,

I agree - very lucky indeed!

Gene

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wayne,

I have to agree with everyone else and thanks for the your input. To have the original designers input makes a good thread, a great thread. Thanks.
    What were your thoughts on the name misprint on the MAN plans?

Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

""""Some memories of my EU-1. I will discuss the EU1-A later on. It was designed for the FAI pattern that was flown at the time, 1974/1975."""

Wayne:

If I am understanding and reading this correctly the first EU-1 flew in 1974/1975?? Is this correct?

Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fasinating discussion. I campaigned an EU-1A as late as 1987. I recall a lot of bally-hu about several modifications to the stab and engine thrust line when I was building this model, so I incorporated them into my airframe. I recall some complained the airframe built stock had a tendency to fall on its back in vertical maneuvers, and these mods eliminated this tendency. It remains the best flying pattern plane I have ever flown, including modern 2 meter designs of today. I can't recall all of the specifics, but here is what I remember to be the mods. Please help me fill in the blanks or correct my memory on this, and if these mods helped your airframe!

Stab was raised 3/8" of an inch, and the LE (of the stab) was lowered 3/16ths

Engine down thrust was increased significantly, so much so the front of the fuse had to be cut back and a spinner smaller (I believe it was 2") than the OEM 3" was used to create a new front to the cowl area. Can anyone remember the downthrust degrees in this mod? Seems like it was very severe. 7.5 degrees???

Mike
    Representative of<br>
    GCBM R/C Enterprises

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One of the best fliers of this design was Lewis Patton from Louisville , KY. Lewis flew the EU-A1 effectively and with great skill. If anyone would know about mods to this design, it would be Lewis Patton.

Cheers,

BL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow! Great disccussion. I still have the MAN 1978 magazine with the EU-1 article. I have owned several EU-1A's
    and currently working to rebuild my last one which I crashed (bad battery) several of years back.
    Boy was I wrong about the meaning behind the EU-1A name. I thought it meant "Exprieramental Unmanned
    #One Aircraft" Also own a LA-1 but never new what the LA-1 meant until now. Insight, a beautiful thing!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123