Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

CCA EU1-A question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CCA EU1-A question

What about a Hanno?

I built one of these for Frank Purpura R.I.P. when I was a Kid. Thing sounded like it was going a thousand mph but wasn't. lol. Had a reworked OS61 VF in it. Was totally cool. Whenever Dan gets rolling I'd like to get one too. Ditto the E$ay comment too.

Tim
Old 10-28-2010, 02:34 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank P! Ole Crash Purpora, a lot of memories out there at Thorn Creek and the pattern meets aroundthere. My respects to Frank, hearing of his passing was one the sadder things I learned this past year. Did you fly out on the south side Tim?
Mark
Old 10-28-2010, 06:41 PM
cllaurit

When did Frank Pass? He was a good guy.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Tim,
A Hanno would definitely work with a 12.5x10 or 12x11. Plenty of airspeed (without all the screaming) and much much better vertical performance. Of course, the lighter the finished airplane, the better. A YS .61AR would be another good choice.
-Will
Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Tim Redelman

Yeah Big Frank Was A good guy, Most of the time LOL! He finally lost his battle with diabetes a few years ago. He taught me a lot about what to do in pattern flying and what not to do just by watching him. LOL!! I learned to fly at Thorncreek field in Lansing Il. in my youth. Every once in a while I'll go back and stop by the field. I used to cut the grass there as a kid too. The field looked a lot bigger when I was a kid thats for sure. Those were good years man good years. Hope to see you guys at Chicago again this year and I hope Rusty is still running the deal. Wouldn't be the same without him. Never met a guy so wound up about old time hockey as him. Sure would like to try the EU-1A with a Hanno , a guy at the Chicago show had one on a Phoenix 8 man did that thing honk! Sounded like it was in overdrive! Never new they had so much power. Is there some kind of problem with them having the chrome come off the cylinder? If your buying a new in box version what should a guy look out for?

Tim
Old 10-29-2010, 05:34 PM
flywilly

Hi Tim,
First, the nickasil plating on the Hanno liners does not have the durability of true chrome plating. I've been running Hannos for almost 20 years and have found that the stock sleeve typically will last 300-700 flights. Careful break-in helps the durability. The biggest enemy of sleeve longevity (besides actual dirt and crashing[:'(]) seems to be HEAT! I have found that 15% nitro fuel works very well and allows for a reasonably rich setting. Avoid running the engine 'hard' - marginally short pipe; large prop load (13x11). I've had excellent success running either a 13x9 or 12.5x10 APC prop. I'd have to measure the pipe length. The rest of the engine will easily outlast the plating on the sleeve. My first Hanno had more than 1800 flights on it - about 5-6 rear bearings replaced and 2 piston/sleeve sets. Henry Nelson has made replacement piston/sleeves - they are AAC (aluminum piston in a chromed, aluminum sleeve) and for the right price might make more. Ideally, get a new engine, replace the stock piston/sleeve with a Nelson version (save the stock one) and you should be good for 1,000 flights or more.
The other option is to try to find the ringed version of the MKII Hanno. OS made relatively few of these. Based on my research, OS made 6,000 MKI Hannos and, at most, 3,000 MKII Hannos (both ringed and ABC). The serial # on the left mounting lug will tell you if it is a MKI or MKII. I have encountered "Hannos" without a serial #. These have been put together here using available parts. If you find one of these, check for the 'notches' at the top of the exhaust port to be sure it has true Hanno Special porting.
Hope this helps!
-Will
PS I think there is (or was) a Hanno for sale in the market section of RCU
Old 10-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Tim Redelman

thanks willy just the kinda answer i was looking for

Tim
Old 10-29-2010, 11:04 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

I know exactly what you mean Tim. We didn't call him "Crash" for nothing. But he was really good at heart. I agree too, Thorn Creek seemed huge back then. I get out there a few times a month as my brother and I share a hangar over at the old Chicago Hammond airport (Lansing) and I still like flying there. I'm hoping Rusty can pull it off again next year too, his rush for classic pattern is contagious. See you around Tim.
Mark
Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM
rabbid fly
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Gene Margiotti

Rabbid fly,

Could you float me a link to where I could find the Rossi 90 - been looking using google but to no avail. I also have a Webra 90 that I just might stuff into the front end of my EU1-A. But first I've got quite a bit of building and rigging to accomplish.

Gene
Gene, sorry there is no link for these old engines. It just was the luck of the draw. This is an old black head with an in flight mixture. I don't see why a webra 90 wouldn't work. I was also thinking about putting a side exh. but can't find a place where i can get a wrap around header made. I don't think Karl Mueller is doing them anymore do to health reasons.
If anyone knows another place, please chime in.
Phil
Old 10-30-2010, 08:01 PM
flywilly

Try 'Frequent flyer' - his handle here on RCU (I think). I know he has made wrap-around headers for the OS 1.60
Old 10-31-2010, 07:41 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ANY chance this thread getting back on topic? MY first post:

Has anybody rec'd their kit from CCA? I'm curious about the weight of the components. Those on the waiting list please respond.
Thank you.

Dave Rigotti

Well anybody have one yet?

Dave Rigotti
Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Dave from all of the diversions fromthe topic I would assume the answer is no. I contacted Dan about one and he was very interested in gettting one of my fuses of Strickers Excalibur in trade. I have yet to hear back that EU-1a are in production.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Ron,

Don't remember anything about an Excaliber... but very busy lately. If you'd like an EU1 A kit, just send me an email and I'll give you a delivery date.. that simple..

[email protected]

thanks,

Dan..

btw...I'm sure everyone here would like to see a pic of an Excaliber. Last time I saw Steve he was flying a Brushfire...

Old 10-31-2010, 03:11 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Actually Dan the post is directed towards your customers on the waitng list. I understand shipping of kits began earlier this month. NO? 6 weeks after the production pictures began I'm asking what your cutomers think of their delivered kits? You have shipped them?

Dave
Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 PM
flywilly

Dan contacted me yesterday and told me that my kit is ready. I live close enough (about 150 miles) that I will be picking my kit up, hopefully this week-end. I will post photos when I get the new 'baby' home.
Regards,
Will