Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

WILD BEAT SCRATCH BUILD

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:38 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default WILD BEAT SCRATCH BUILD

Hello All

Today I'm going to scratch build a Wild Beat Pattern plane. Feel free to chime in with any questions or comments.

I have the plan to work from and the the patterns for the ribs that I got from David (dhal22) . I also made a Mold for the chin cowl which he loaned me also. In addition I got the Canopy which I made a mold of to boot! Thanks again to David.

For power I will more than likely use a new OSRX140 with a tunned pipe that I've had a long time.

The first step was to cut out some parts and I have started with the Ribs for the wing because I have the patterns so this was a no brainer.
The Wing has 15 ribs and a root rib. I used 3/32" balsa and selected the lightest sheets.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 AM
frequent flyer

Default RE: WILD BEAT SCRATCH BUILD

Now that all the ribs have been cut I picked out the leading edge that was close to the size that the orignal plans showed, this I got from SIG. The trailing edge was just some 1/2" x 3/8" balsa. Glue some parts together, at last! The Wing.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:05 AM
frequent flyer

I need a Chin cowl and a Canopy so I made one of each just to have them ready when I need them in the build. I used .040 PETG plastic in my Vac U form machine to make the Canopy. It's very sturdy and should hold up very well. I not sure but I may tint it later.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 AM
frequent flyer

Building the wing I used some 1/4" x 3/8" balsa for the spar, the plan said 6x8 mm and what I used is slightly larger I think but OK with me. After I had all the ribs glued between the leading and trailing edges I laid a straight edge along the spar notches and had to trim them just a tad to be straight and to fit the spar material that I used. Got it all line up and it is looking good to me.

I wanted to be sure things were straight and I could also set the dihedral of the wing by clamping it all to a six foot level.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Roguedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don,

Way cool. Look forward to it.

Bryan

Old 11-10-2010, 12:45 AM
frequent flyer

Thanks Bryan, How are you doing?

This photo shows where I set the dihidral on the level it is about a inch.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 AM
frequent flyer

I had to make this front piece, I used 1/8" ply. Didn't have a pattern, so I just made what works.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 AM
frequent flyer

Now the wing is close to being complete and I need wing tips. I copied a piece of the plan, cut t out and traced the outline on some 1" balsa block and cut two out.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:49 AM
frequent flyer

It's on to the fuselage and the wing can sit for a while. First I made a pair of sides. To so this I made some copies of the side view of the plan and cut out the profile and traced the pattern onto some 1/8" balsa. Then marked all the reference markes for the formers, braces, etc. onto them and cut them out. I did the same for a botttom piece and then glued them together using some 1/2" triangle stock along the bottom joints.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:04 AM
frequent flyer

I needed to get the pattern for the bottom piece where the pipe exits. I made a mold of the original fiberglass part loaned to me my dhal22 and use it for the cut out in the bottom sheeting.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:11 AM
frequent flyer

Now I need a motor mount. Again I took the outline for this part from the top view on the plan and made it out of two layers of 5 ply 1/4" birch plywood. Then used 30 min. epoxy too bond them together. Installed in the two halfs and clamped it up to dry.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:19 AM
frequent flyer

These are 1/8" lite ply doublers they were parts shown on the plan. The part number escapes me right now. I just made them and glued them in place.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 AM
frequent flyer

Building the bulkheads took a little tiime. There really isn't any pattern for them on the plan. There was one cross section shown but its location was kinda between two bulkheads. So..... what I had to do was copy it then make four or five percent enlargements until its height matched the location that I needed. Then resize it to get the width correct to fit the top view. Boy that just blew a hour....... Oh well it worked and I cut them all out. Oh yeah I'm saving all the patterns that I make just in case I want to build another. The second and third pictures are of a strip of 1/8" balsa glued along the top edges of the rear section where the turtle deck will later glue on.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:05 AM
frequent flyer

I'm making the servo tray and tank mount area for this I used 1/8" lite ply and made the pattern of the plan of the overall outline and the put the tank on the center of gravity and made some servo holes. The rear hole wil be for the rudder servo, the two foward holes will be one for the throttle and the other is for the elevators. The bottom of the tank area is 1/8" balas and the sides were pieces of 1/2" x 1/4" balsa to give the depth of the tank to sit down a bit. It needs to in order to clear the Canopy later on. I used a 20oz. tank. The paln says 520cc and a 20 oz is around 590cc's. I hate runnng out of gas.........I used velrow stips to hole the tank in place. I also made some lots in front of the tank to hold the battery pack on top and the reciever on the bottom.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:48 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you watching TV while you do this, Don?
Chris...
Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

jeeze Don, you're ahead of me!! looks good too. btw, if you need any further tracings let me know.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 AM
frequent flyer

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Are you watching TV while you do this, Don?
Chris...
You know it. Hey Chris, I've finished the custom house I was working on and I am finishing up a few of the planes we were looking at when you can over so we can get out and go fly soon.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 AM
frequent flyer

ORIGINAL: dhal22

jeeze Don, you're ahead of me!! looks good too. btw, if you need any further tracings let me know.
Thanks David, I have most done except the tail ribs. I think alot of the rest that remain are blocks that need carving and sanding. I think you said you didn't trace the ribs in the stablizer? I can make them like I made the bulkheads. It does show the root rib for the stablizer and I can shrink them down for the rest. Or I might try Comp U Foil progam to make them. I got the program a few months ago and may as well try it. Thanks for all you help. It is guys like you that make the hobby more fun.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

GREAT build thread!! When can we expect the Wild Beat kit to be released?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Roguedog

Hey Don,

Man I love build threads and doin great by the way. I have to agree with flywilly that your doing a great job documenting your build. Hey, where did you get those clamps you used on the ply doublers? Looks like you got a jar of them in one of the pics.

Bryan

Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 PM
frequent flyer

Hi Bryan

I got the clamps at Harbor Frieght. You know they also have a 25' roll of the velcro that's a great buy, it's only 3.50 if I remember corectly. The hobbby shops were way more for a little roll that was only 4' and it was 8.00
Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don, i am very happy to be able to contribute here on this forum.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

frequent flyer,

When you have equipment for vacuum bagging you can use it for much more activities. So not only for gluing of the sheeting on foam but also for gluing of doublers and other building steps!
When used for doublers the pressure is much better divided over the whole surface, so not only the borders. The picture of the Simla. You can add a (metal) plate in the bag to have as real flat surface.

Success Cees

Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 PM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

Man oh day, Don! You're moving along at light speed here! At this rate it will fly this weekend!

Glad to see you're taking a break from mold making to do some building! Excellent! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 PM
frequent flyer

ORIGINAL: Taurus Flyer

frequent flyer,

When you have equipment for vacuum bagging you can use it for much more activities. So not only for gluing of the sheeting on foam but also for gluing of doublers and other building steps!
When used for doublers the pressure is much better divided over the whole surface, so not only the borders. The picture of the Simla. You can add a (metal) plate in the bag to have as real flat surface.

Success Cees

Yes I do have quite a nice system and all the stuff. I vacuum bag alot of stuff all the time it is nice. Been doing it for many years. I've used a 1/4" plate glass to lay up Carbon Fiber parts and it leaves a super smooth surface.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.