Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

RCM Acro Star and Proctor Bolero

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RCM Acro Star and Proctor Bolero

Absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing this information with us. Your designs are amazing... as well as your history. It is truly an honor, sir!

Brian

Old 07-08-2011, 06:55 PM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken:

Thanks so much for the info on the progression of your bipes. Out of curiousity, what were the incidence settings for the top and bottom wings as well as the stab for the Overlord and the Fyg-Leaf? What sort of up/down and right thrust did you set the engine at?

Thanks again,
Ed
Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Fyg Leaf

Top and bottom wing and stab incidences on all of them were zero. The Reed flew best with 2 degrees of up thrust. The others were zero. A little bit of right thrust was added to the Overlord during test flying. It may have had more to do with the tuned pipe hanging out the left side than torque. The others had zero side thrust.

I'm not saying any of these settings are best in general. They just worked on those particular aircraft.

Ken
Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 PM
EscapeFlyer

Anyone have any info on Phil Kraft's Stagger-Bi MK II. I'm thinking about adding it to my plans collection...

(I sometimes wonder if I'll ever fly taildraggers again... Hmmmm.)

Brian

Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2011, 01:04 AM
RFJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,

The Stagger-Bi was published in the very first edition of RCM. PM with e mail if you would like a copy of the article. Plan still available from RCM.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49043.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	1645884  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:32 AM
EscapeFlyer

Thanks Ray. Pm sent...

Have you ever seen this one in the air?

I am thinking of eventually building it for what it is. I would use newer proportional equipment and a newer motor, but it would be fun to fly it for what it is...

[8D]

Brian
Old 08-08-2011, 08:00 AM
EscapeFlyer

Wow Ray... This is interesting.

Mr. Kraft shows optional choices for conventional and trike gear. The hinging is identical to the Taurus! Article states he used a ST.56. I wonder if one would want to use a ST.51 or .61 (60?) today? He says it was fast. I wonder how that translates to today? This would be an interesting choice for antique SPA.

A LOT of carving too...

Should be fun.

Brian
Old 08-08-2011, 11:17 AM
RCPAUL

The plans for the Bolero were lost on the way to MAN. Lou Proctor sold some blue lines of the design for a while and I had a set - not anymore

Paul
Old 08-08-2011, 08:39 PM
EscapeFlyer

Would you actually build the biplane? I look at my set of plans and shutter!

I will build it someday though! I wonder if this would be a project Duane (kingaltair) would bring on....

Brian
Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 AM
doxilia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could someone post a JPG of the plans. Would be interested in seeing how it was built.

Ray, now that's a cool copy of an RCM issue! The very first! Is your collection complete? If so, have you ever had it evaluated?

David.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:22 AM
EscapeFlyer

I'll scan it. Give me a a week or so. I only know of 2 other people that have these plans. They're the people nice enough to send me my copy.

It is the most complicated build I have ever seen. As a matter of interest, MAN didn't publish the actual plans (They published an artist's dumbed down version) as they contained too much information.

A very neat biplane though. Somehow Mr. Proctor built one light enough to fly!

This airplane would be a master engineer's delight.

Brian

David- I may need to just send you a copy through 4 shared to have you post it on RCU. I don't know how to re-size it to post it on RCU. I have wanted to change my Avatar for a few years now, and can't figure out how to re-size anything I have to fit RCU's parameters.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:11 AM
RFJ

Is your collection complete?
Far from complete David. I only have all issues from the first (Oct 1963) until December 1979. After that I just bought the occasional one if it contained something of particular interest.

Ray
Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 AM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

I'll scan it. Give me a a week or so. I only know of 2 other people that have these plans. They're the people nice enough to send me my copy.

It is the most complicated build I have ever seen. As a matter of interest, MAN didn't publish the actual plans (They published an artist's dumbed down version) as they contained too much information.
Interesting. I look forward to seeing them.

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes
David- I may need to just send you a copy through 4 shared to have you post it on RCU. I don't know how to re-size it to post it on RCU. I have wanted to change my Avatar for a few years now, and can't figure out how to re-size anything I have to fit RCU's parameters.
That would be fine Brian. I can produce the JPG's from the high res scan. If you have a new avatar you want to post, send me the picture - it's very fast and straight forward; just a little Photoshop work.

David.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: RFJ
Far from complete David. I only have all issues from the first (Oct 1963) until December 1979.

Ray
Well, a continuous 16 year collection is pretty serious in itself. I guess the old coffers of RCM contain complete collections. I wonder what happened to the masters used in printing the magazine issues prior to the computer era... Electronic masters of all the issues would be a veritable asset. Someone with access to the masters would do a great service to the community to produce such documents. Like National Geographic, they could sell complete electronic collections...

I'd love to have an electronic collection of the RCM collection. And of FM and MAN too...

David.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:02 PM
edwarda10pilot

While a friend of mine and I were at Muncie for the Worlds and the U.S. Nats, he checked with the AMA museum. The Overlord is in their possession and is currently in storage. He was not allowed to see nor was he given a date for when it might be on display.

Ed
Old 10-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Near Hit

I realize this is an old thread but I am in desperate need of the building instructions for the Airtronics Acrostar. Would anybody have a scanned version they could email to me?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:46 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Tried to send you a PM on that as I've got what you need.

Not certain if it worked. This hew system is taking some time to learn.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:03 AM
RCPAUL

The original plans for the Bolero were lost going from Proctor to MAN. All prints fron MAN were blue-lines made from a backup copy.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Near Hit

Thanks for you reply. Do you remember if the building instructions was an actual manual or the article from RCM. I saw on one of the forums that what cam with the kit was just the article in the magazine.
Thanks again