Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Baby classic pattern planes are here!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM
dfturnock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby classic pattern planes are here!

The 'Baby' 65% pattern kits are finally here! The Troublemaker is ready, and the Banshee and Mach One are about done, now that I've finalized a few design things I've been working with that will apply to all. They will be full kits, not short kits. Foam wings that duplicate the original, flat tail surfaces. Staying with the 65%, not a standard wing span, to keep differences between the planes. They will be happy with a .15 to .25 2c, or the equiv electric motor.
The Baby Eyeball will have an Eyeball wing, not the Ace one size fits all wing, the same goes for the Mach One. It won't be a Mach None.
Here is the link to the Baby kits: http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/airplanes/babykits.htm
Don
www.eurekaaircraft.com
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Baby classic pattern planes are here!

no pictures of kits/planes on the site?[&:]
Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 PM
McLeodAviation
My Feedback: (70)

Very cool. I might have to get one of these.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:46 PM
dfturnock

Patience, grasshopper....LOL I'm getting ready to put them up in a few...

Don

ORIGINAL: vasek

no pictures of kits/planes on the site?[&:]
Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 PM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to see the Currare[8D]
Yes pictures please!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:53 PM
dfturnock

Pics are up on the site of a Baby TM in the bones. That should answer a few questions.

Don
Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the Mach One available now? Perfect park flyer for (excuse me) electric when the Pres comes to town and they close all of the model fields.
Chris...
Old 11-15-2010, 04:29 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Just AWESOME Don! E-Flites new electric retracts are a must for these kits!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 AM
dfturnock

More progress. Got the Banshee ready to cut, but the plans still need some work. That will be the slowdown on the getting these ready. Finishing the plans takes longer than getting all the parts ready The Mach One is about at the same stage as far as parts, but it's plans need a LOT of finishing.

Working on finding canopies that are close enough to the original to work, which will be easy on most of the planes. The TM doesn't have one, so no problem. The Banshee and the Mach One will be the hardest to find, so plugs will have to be made. It figures I'd pick them first...

Don
Old 11-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Don,

Congratulations on the new kits. Like to have one of those myself

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM
flyingtheoldones
My Feedback: (1)

Yourthe manDon.
You can figure out what we need before we can!
Thanks for getting these out.

Those electric Retracts.... Damn right! Those would be awsome!
DM
Old 11-18-2010, 12:09 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

baby banshee might be the thing I need to get me working on my 'glass banshee.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:14 PM
dfturnock

Update.....

Got the Banshee and the Mach One ready to cut. Still need to work with the plans some more. As I said, that will be the hold up. Plans are ready to build with, but not up to kit standards. May release them that way and work on the plans as time goes by, which will allow more different planes. What do you all think?

Am switching to 1/16" sheeting for the wings. Got a lot of comments about the 1/32" balsa being too thin to work with at LE and TE. not staying glued down. It is pretty thin May offer either one when you order, even though the weigh penalty for 1/16" is a non-issue.

Still looking for Banshee and Mach One look-a-like canopies that will fit. Will supply plans for a built up Banshee canopy for the time being. 2 1/16" ply sides, and a balsa to. The original Banshee had a built up cowl until J&J started kitting it.

Don

www.eurekaaircraft.com

Old 11-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Finally! I think I might have to try my hand at building an electric Curare. Any idea on what size Lipo a plane like that would need? What I'd love to see next is an EPO foam parkflyer size, but I'm probably alone here!
Old 11-21-2010, 01:08 PM
dfturnock

The Banshee, and Mach one are now up on the site. Temporarily with out clear canopies, but there is a PDF of the original Banshee canopy on the site, scaled to fit the Baby Banshee. Very simple and looks great. It can also be lengthened a bit to fit the Mach One pretty close. It is what I will use for the eventual plug for a clear canopy.

I figure it is better to have planes to fly without clear canopies, than no planes at all They will come in time.

There is also an INTRODUCTORY SPECIAL price an all baby kits till the end of the year!

Going to do the Curare & Nutcracker next. After that, let me know what you want to fly!

Don @ EAC

http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/airplanes/babykits.htm
Old 11-22-2010, 09:53 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Don,

Got a question. The page says "All wings are sheeted with the supplied 1/32" balsa to keep things light."

Does that mean the wings are sheeted when they arrive, or that you're supplying the 1/32" sheeting?

If the latter, what width? ie, will we need to splice them or are they wide enough to do the full panels?

The Curare interests me.

Thanks.

Andy
Old 11-22-2010, 10:21 AM
dfturnock

Hey, Andy....

Good question.. I just rephrased that on the site. I figured the ' with supplied sheeting' would convey that, but maybe I was wrong ;(They do not come sheeted, and will come stock with 1/16" sheeting, with 1/32" sheeting available on request. Yes it needs to be seemed and cut before sheeting, 4" wide balsa. Too many servo/LG options to pre-sheet.

I switched to 1/16" as stock sheeting due a few comments that 1/32" sheeting can be a pain to work with, having issues at LE and TE if you aren't very careful sanding LE and TE. There just isn't much wood there.

Don

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Don,

Got a question. The page says "All wings are sheeted with the supplied 1/32" balsa to keep things light."

Does that mean the wings are sheeted when they arrive, or that you're supplying the 1/32" sheeting?

If the latter, what width? ie, will we need to splice them or are they wide enough to do the full panels?

The Curare interests me.

Thanks.

Andy
Old 11-22-2010, 12:28 PM
alcarafa

Have you considered producing the TIPORARE & DECEPTION ?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:54 PM
dfturnock

The Tipo is definitely near the top of the list. It will follow the Curare and the Nutcracker.

Hadn't thought about the Deception, but I will add it on the to do list. One of the Kaos' will be there, probably Super Kaos, but probably only one since there are so close. Shrunk down I don't think there will be enough difference. Dirty Birdy is also planned already.

I will try to do all the pattern kits I do in the .60 size, and a few others people want.

Don

ORIGINAL: alcarafa

Have you considered producing the TIPORARE & DECEPTION ?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:47 PM
alcarafa

Doxilia ( forum ID ) sent me PDF plans for a 15 / 25 deception once, outstanding plane to produce also, if he dont mind I can send you the plans for it.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:05 PM
dfturnock

I've seen those plans.. I am doing a redesign onthese Baby pattern planes to make them lighter, and simplify construction, and lower part count. Most of the smaller versions out there build too heavy, since they are very close to the same construction of their big brothers, using 35+ year old building methods. The re-scaled Tipo is a good example of 60 size construction not working when made smaller. It came out way too heavy. Instead, I am taking their outlines, and lightening the construction.

Don
Old 11-22-2010, 06:52 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: dfturnock

Hey, Andy....

Good question.. I just rephrased that on the site. I figured the ' with supplied sheeting' would convey that, but maybe I was wrong ;( They do not come sheeted, and will come stock with 1/16'' sheeting, with 1/32'' sheeting available on request. Yes it needs to be seemed and cut before sheeting, 4'' wide balsa. Too many servo/LG options to pre-sheet.

I switched to 1/16'' as stock sheeting due a few comments that 1/32'' sheeting can be a pain to work with, having issues at LE and TE if you aren't very careful sanding LE and TE. There just isn't much wood there.

Don

Thanks for the quick reply, Don.

Next question - are the cores set up for square/shaped LE stock, or for wrapping all the way around? I prefer wrapping myself but I know others prefer the older way.

As for "too many servo/LG options" why not just standardize on the E-Flite electrics? (Yes, I'm biased)

Andy
Old 11-22-2010, 07:15 PM
dfturnock

Actually. I think wrapping may be the older way, according to some old plans I've worked with They will be cut with a flat LE , unless someone wants the rounded LE, that's no problem. I can also cut the wing for sheeted, then cut out ailerons, instead of wood ailerons, if so desired. Just ask.

What does electric have to do with either issue? Some people will want 2 servos in the wing, and other will be very happy with just one servo on a plane that size. Electric has nothing to do with retract versus fixed gear, and electric has nothing to do with trike versus tail dragger. I guess I have no problem keeping an open mind

I don't care how people build or modify my stuff, I just work here.

Don

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: dfturnock

Hey, Andy....

Good question.. I just rephrased that on the site. I figured the ' with supplied sheeting' would convey that, but maybe I was wrong ;(They do not come sheeted, and will come stock with 1/16'' sheeting, with 1/32'' sheeting available on request. Yes it needs to be seemed and cut before sheeting, 4'' wide balsa. Too many servo/LG options to pre-sheet.

I switched to 1/16'' as stock sheeting due a few comments that 1/32'' sheeting can be a pain to work with, having issues at LE and TE if you aren't very careful sanding LE and TE. There just isn't much wood there.

Don

Thanks for the quick reply, Don.

Next question - are the cores set up for square/shaped LE stock, or for wrapping all the way around? I prefer wrapping myself but I know others prefer the older way.

As for "too many servo/LG options" why not just standardize on the E-Flite electrics? (Yes, I'm biased)

Andy
Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don,

good points raised.

Given you can offer the "cut" of the cores to the buyers taste, will it also be an option for you to make wheel wells and servo cutouts? That would really expedite the build if the cores were already pre-welled.

I'm thinking conventional retracts on these puppies given their size if any at all. If the models were 48" span size then it would be another story.

Thanks, David.

P.S. Now I just have to decide which one to order but I think the K&B 18 sitting in the box might have just found a home!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:31 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

Are these planes that the average builder can build.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.