Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

OPS engines for BPA Pattern Ships

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:20 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPS engines for BPA Pattern Ships

OPS DISTRIBUTOR / DEALER (CANADA)

Sorry for taking so long but I wanted to verify my information.

This is the link, not much there just a page.

http://www.scsportruck.com/photos.ph...et=216&lang=en

Then click contacts for e-mail and phone number

You will be speaking to Sebastien Caron

Old 11-26-2010, 01:25 PM
flyingtheoldones
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: OPS engines for BPA Pattern Ships

Is there a reason why I dont see many of these in the old pattern planes? I remember they had a reputation for being really powerful.

DM
Old 11-26-2010, 01:34 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyingtheoldones

Is there a reason why I dont see many of these in the old pattern planes? I remember they had a reputation for being really powerful.

DM

My guess would be a poor distribution system. You saw a lot more Webra engines being used in pattern when Tower Hobbies was selling them. Then hardly any when Tower stopped selling them. I suppose it was the same thing. That or they charged too much for them. I didn't begin seeing OPS engines until the long stroke craze was in full swing.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-26-2010, 01:36 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

because they cost alot more then and now mostly, and with rossi and ops engines there was and is a certain myth about them, but both are really quite easy to setup and use. i own and use them, and really enjoy them. and the maintenance isnt bad either
Old 11-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Ralph White

lfinney,
I'm flying an OPS redhead rear exhaust (from the late 60's) in my Saturn pattern ship. It runs great with lots of power except when I go on a vertical upline. It cuts out badly as if it is going too lean. I haven't had time to try solving the problem yet. I'm hoping it is simply the pickup being to long in the tank. Had a couple people tell me bad bearings may cause the problem, but the bearings seem to be fine as it runs very smoothly at all times except the vertical upline. BTW it has a tuned pipe on it. It's not like it is coming off the pipe, but as if it is going lean.
Hopefully you or someone may have some ideas of whats wrong.

Ralph White, Neoga, IL
Old 11-26-2010, 02:32 PM
lfinney

first thing i would do is check for a leak in the fuel system as then can occur quite suddenly, and show up when going vertical, second you could try lengthening the the pipe a half inch, as they will go lean if set too short on vertical uplines, i first would do a bubble test on the fuel system and check for a vacuum leak at back plate or at carb base. let me know what you find.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Ralph White

Thanks for the quick respone lfinney,

I've played around with the pipe lenght a little. It doesn't seem to solve the problem. I think you may be on to something when talking about a possible air leak in the backplate or carb mount. I'm going to check that out. I'll let you know when I figure something out. I don't have a lot of time to work on it (and it's cold outside here) so it may be a couple weeks before I get a chance to check it out.
Ralph White
Old 11-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Ralph White

lfinney,
After thinking about it, I wonder if the front bearing may be leaking air. I assume it is a sealed bearing. Seems like I remember raw fuel around the front of the engine the last time I flew. I think I will replace the bearings at the same time I'm replacing the gaskets and o-rings.
Ralph White
Old 11-26-2010, 07:46 PM
pitstop000

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: flyingtheoldones

DM

My guess would be a poor distribution system. You saw a lot more Webra engines being used in pattern when Tower Hobbies was selling them. Then hardly any when Tower stopped selling them. I suppose it was the same thing. That or they charged too much for them. I didn't begin seeing OPS engines until the long stroke craze was in full swing.

Ed Cregger
Distribution has a lot to do with how popular an item becomes. A large distributer like Great Planes (Tower Hobbies) can really make a line popular with their Advertising and Buying Power. OPS were distributed back then by a small entity as were most pattern related products. Pattern was and is still a specialized segment of the Hobby. As you got more involved and you looked for more specialized equipment the Large Distributors were not the ones that would be carrying these items unless the line also offered other products for their larger markets within the Hobby.

Some of these small distributers then and now only buy 3 or 4 times a year after they have accumulated enough Back orders to place an order with the manufacturer, basically never having anything left on hand after the shipments arrived, this has a lot to do with why some motors might have not been as popular as others. “If you can’t get them when you need them you look for another brand to power your new Shipâ€

Rests assured they were and still are powerful motors and can hold their own as so many speed records are held by OPS engines. For pattern though it’s not just about the ultimate power but the consistency and durability in that power. I’m a little Bias when it comes to the OPS, Rossi, and Picco’s just because that was what I had the best luck with durability and consistency when running motors harder than they should be. “Just my 2 cents Guys’’

Old 11-26-2010, 07:56 PM
stuntflyr

That thing is just plain good lookin'!
Chris...
Old 11-26-2010, 11:44 PM
flyingtheoldones
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for that explanation Pitstop.
That really makes sense. Nice to know that these engines are as good as I've heard, they are pretty reasonable, price wise,when they can be found.
That engine is almost too pretty to put in a plane! What do you have planned for it?

DM
Old 11-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Taurus Flyer

Gents

Maybe interesting for if you can find one.
The carburetor of the old OPS RC 60 in detail. (Same for 40)
1 Main fuel needle (valve)
2 Second needle
3 Air bleed screw
4 Limit screw for barrel position in idle position.

Adjustment is more complicated but there is a better, more independent, adjustment possible for fuel/air ratio in midrange with needle 2.
Best fuel/air ratio adjustment for idle position has to be done with the bleed airscrew.
RPM idle adjustment stop (if you want to use it) can be done with 4

The OPS engine with the pipe (pitstop000, post 9) seems to have a fixed venturi!

Cees
Old 11-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

I did look for a picture with a RC carburetor, did find a Marine version in my own archive.See picture 1, RC carburetor,
picture 2, as post 9, fixed venturi I think.

Cees
Old 11-27-2010, 06:47 PM
pitstop000

Cees,
a couple more pictures of the RC carb, but this motor is not intended for pattern but for Speed applications.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Taurus Flyer

pitstop000.

See the post of flying the old ones:

That engine is almost too pretty to put in a plane! What do you have planned for it?

Our pictures all do show a RC carburetor, the engine with the pipe isn't a RC, so maybe for race applications.
No point, enough pictures to warn the people to look for the right (modern) OPS if there is still one for pattern.

Cees

Old 11-28-2010, 01:05 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

The fellow with the sagging problem, what size prop are you using? It sounds as though you might be "falling off of the ports", even if a pipe adjustment doesn't make much difference. Sorry I have forgotten your name. The old memory ya-da-ya-da-ya-da. (smile)

I've seen pattern fellows having to use 11x6 or even 10x6 props with certain engine/airplane combinations. In fact, I own and fly a G60 Bluehead that absolutely howls and hauls the mail while spinning an 11x6 prop, with a Mac's open front muffler. Every so many years, one of the top fliers that I run into scolds me and tells me to change it to something a bit more stout in pitch. Sometimes I do, and I'm always disappointed. Back on goes the 11x6, until I forget again. Yes, this is definitely "old school".

Ed Cregger
Old 11-30-2010, 07:01 PM
pitstop000

look for the right (modern) OPS if there is still one for pattern.
Hi Cees,

In post number 1, those 2 OPS motors are what can be used in our BPA pattern ships.

10cc / 60's RE or SE. those motors are still available with OPS pipes.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Ralph White

Paul, Are those two engines in post #1 the same as they were back in the late 70's or are they new designs? What are the prices? Ralph White
Old 12-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Taurus Flyer

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

look for the right (modern) OPS if there is still one for pattern.
Hi Cees,

In post number 1, those 2 OPS motors are what can be used in our BPA pattern ships.

10cc / 60's RE or SE. those motors are still available with OPS pipes.

Paul,

I did understand but maybe there are a lot more models to use, see the picture of I-Love-Jets of RC Groups
I do not know the age of the list but I only see the 8301 of post 1 in it and and three other 60 models (mayb?) to use.

Cees
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71013.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1528673  
Old 12-01-2010, 07:57 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ralph White

Paul, Are those two engines in post #1 the same as they were back in the late 70's or are they new designs? What are the prices? Ralph White
Ralph,

I'm not Paul, but thought I might comment all the same.

I doubt any engine manufacturer is still producing engines which are identical to those made 40 years ago (I might be wrong). Italians in particular are masters of design. In my opinion, more than anything else in the country, design is something that allows them to continue to be innovative; otherwise, one could consider Italy and Italians to be a country of traditions where things change little over time. However, they also tend more toward "design refinements" rather than starting from scratch every year - this can also be seen in the European car industry - same concept.

The OPS design of these engines came about over the last 40-50 years but as far as it being the same as in the 70's - highly unlikely. I'm not sure a 1970's engine of any brand could produce over 3.5 bhp in a 10 cc 2 stroke displacement.

Getting to the point - these are Italian brutes!

David.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Ralph White

Thanks for the reply David,
I'm sure you are correct. The 8301 is probably a much improved engine over the one I have from the 70's. The one I have still carrys the mail on my Saturn pattern ship. Just thinking about getting a new one in case something happens to the one I have now.
Ralph White
Old 12-01-2010, 09:39 AM
lfinney

the latest OPS front intake engines have a ninety eight percent part interchange with the old ones from the late sixties and seventies, the variants are the three port intake design with the sleeve and later five port design sleeve the five port types have windowed piston skirts. but bores and strokes and bearings remain the same. with in these two design variances there are different exhaust port timings, IE 154-160 on the low end which is pattern and sport usage, then 170-190 on the speed and ducted fan and tether car motors, absent the engine having the needle bearing rod setup most parts exchange perfectly, and a lot of the picco engines interchange as well in the 10 cc category, i own a number of these engines and they are remarkably interchangeable. picco engines are for those who aren't aware designed by Gualtiero Picco and he was the "P" in OPS engines. he is still the dominant 10 cc tether car record holder today. this is a direct link with some pictures of the latest designs of sleeve and pistons etc, fun reading

http://www.speedmodelcar.com/
Old 12-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Ralph White

Ed Creggr,

Thanks for your comments about my OPS 60. I am running a Max Daily Handcrafted 11 x 7 1/2 wood prop on the OPS. They are actually the same props I ran on the engine back in the 70's. I really don't think a smaller prop is the correct answer. I may have to try a smaller prop if some of the other things I try don't help the uplines.
I really think I have a fuel tank problem or an air leak in the engine (gasket or bearing). I will probably try a smaller prop before I tear the engine apart. That would be the easiest fix for sure.
Ralph White
Old 12-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Ralph White

lfinney,
Thanks for all that info about most parts being interchangable. That's great news. I'm wanting to run the 70's OPS in my Classic Pattern (BPA) Saturn but was afraid of needing replacement parts. This will solve that problem.
I think you forgot to put the direct link to the pictures of the latest sleeves, pistons, etc in you last post.
Ralph White
Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 AM
stuntflyr

Hi Ralph,
Remember how well Mark Radcliff's engines ran at the Chicago contest? He disassembled them, installed new bearings and reassembled them. I assume he used new gaskets, o-rings, etc, too. It's an easy way to make an oldie a like-new engine and any air leaks will drive one crazy.
If I were to assume what your problem was in May, rebuilding the tank, using all new fuel lines and cork, etc, and a bearing and gasket overhaul on the engine I bet would do the trick. I remember you deadsticking your landings too, an unreliable idle is a sure air leak problem.
Hope it's as easy as that, that's a cool looking Saturn in flight. That OPS was a screamer, but it was so scary when you'd go vertical with that surging, you're a brave man!
Hope you and your family is well and we'll see you next May!

Chris...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.