Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Kraft '74 Single Stick Radio - Rebuild Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Kraft '74 Single Stick Radio - Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Prairie Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kraft '74 Single Stick Radio - Rebuild Thread

forgot to post the hole size.
Mounting Hole: 1.100" x 0.480"

Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

thanks for the info. Here's the spec sheet directly from the GC electronics website:

http://www.gcelectronics.com/order/c...y.asp?CatID=14

The switch in question is on page 3 of the PDF document.

David.

P.S. Upload of files to RCU is once again down.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Prairie Mike

David,
What do you guys do about the gimbal springs?
Do you replace them when replacing the pots? Or building a new stick assem?
Do you have a source?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:19 PM
doxilia

Mike,

the springs in my gimbal are fine so I don't plan to change them. If they need changing, I'm sure they are available somewhere - just haven't looked around.

David.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 AM
doxilia

Mark was inquiring so I thought I would just briefly update the thread.

My encoder kit finally arrived but I haven't had the time to lay the parts out and take some snaps for thread purposes. I hope to at least get that done this weekend and hope to start soldering in a couple of weeks or so. Work as been very busy lately.

I haven't yet ordered any of the various switches and pots so that will also need to be done but the encoder can be built while that is happening. I also need to pick up some soldering supplies.

One piece of good news is that it appears that the LCD display will fit in the KPT-5C's SS upper left hand corner where the original RF meter used to be. A small portion of the LCD's PCB needs to but cut off (but of no electronic consequence) in order for the gimbal to be able to seat against the case.

The one issue with locating the LCD in this upper corner is that it precludes one from mounting switches in the top front left of the transmitter case - where I was planning to put the mix switches. Some "thinning" down of some switches may be required and it will need to be seen where the best location for the LCD might be given the intended full transmitter layout desired.

Some options:
[ul][*] The CAL/RUN switch can be integral and part of the power switch (OFF/CAL/RUN three position).[*] The Preset and Alt Acft switches can be combined so that one is momentary in action and the other direction turns on the Alt Acft mode.[*] The Mix 3 switch can be omitted and left in permanent "on" mode much like in the MP8K. Programming to this mixer activates its function.[*] The snap roll switch can be omitted.
[/ul]
David.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Old Jaybird
My Feedback: (1)

G'day David. Did the snail ever find your mailbox? Just checking. I doubt that the customs guys could make any use out of it....
Blessings,
oj
Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
doxilia

OJ,

no news yet. I'll let you know when it arrives. Snail mail for small parcels like that can take some time. The encoder kit took 3 weeks or so I think.

David.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:10 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Thanx for the update David (I think I might have to pull an enroute on Stuntflyer;he'll know what I mean!)
Since I found a few relics in the garage attic last year I did some more poking, yep, found my very first Kraft SS, a series 74 too, in a box I had completely forgot about. Of course I never took the batteries out, but did so asap. Some corrosion on the batterytabs but no excessiveleakage. In lookingover the board I believe I can remove the Rf section rather easily, it looks as if it only has v+, neg, encoder in and Rf out to antenna,might just mess with it regardless. I have the MS2K kit layed out on the table, will start soldering next week too. I've decided to update the P-L Comp-Six Tx. I'll try to post also, but the next few months will be hectic with work, training, and my oldest one getting married in June (I'm feelin old!)
David, do you or anyone (perhaps Andy H.) know of a sorce for the gimbal scissors springs?

How's it going O'j? Hope you've got something ready for the flying season!

Mark
Old 03-25-2011, 05:29 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, I'm cheating.

I won a Kraft SS on ebay last night. As soon as it gets here it'll get a Spektrum module.

Can't wait!

Andy
Old 03-25-2011, 06:36 AM
jazzboy
My Feedback: (1)

These guys have tons of springs: http://www.mcmaster.com/#
I was going yo use them but they do not ship to Canada and refuse to send to a USpostal service I use regularly. But I'm sure you will find any spring you need on their site.

Andy

ORIGINAL: hook57

Thanx for the update David (I think I might have to pull an enroute on Stuntflyer;he'll know what I mean!)
Since I found a few relics in the garage attic last year I did some more poking, yep, found my very first Kraft SS, a series 74 too, in a box I had completely forgot about. Of course I never took the batteries out, but did so asap. Some corrosion on the batterytabs but no excessiveleakage. In lookingover the board I believe I can remove the Rf section rather easily, it looks as if it only has v+, neg, encoder in and Rf out to antenna,might just mess with it regardless. I have the MS2K kit layed out on the table, will start soldering next week too. I've decided to update the P-L Comp-Six Tx. I'll try to post also, but the next few months will be hectic with work, training, and my oldest one getting married in June (I'm feelin old!)
David, do you or anyone (perhaps Andy H.) know of a sorce for the gimbal scissors springs?

How's it going O'j? Hope you've got something ready for the flying season!

Mark
Old 03-25-2011, 12:31 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark
You know we'd just talk model airplanes the whole time.
I thought you guys would start a thread over there, that's what I was getting at.
Did you know how that guy that had the stroke has been getting along? Were you able to help him out? (I just thought of him the other day.)
Chris...

Old 03-27-2011, 05:01 AM
hook57

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Mark
You know we'd just talk model airplanes the whole time.
I thought you guys would start a thread over there, that's what I was getting at.
Did you know how that guy that had the stroke has been getting along? Were you able to help him out? (I just thought of him the other day.)
Chris...
Hah, you right about that Chris! Or at least it would be about Pitts' or RV-6s'! We should start or move the SS thread over there too though. I think you're referring to Dominic? No, I never did hear from him; if I recall I believe his condition might have been a bit progressive. I may ask Tim R. about him since he introduced me to him; butI'm sureDom will come out again this year if he can. It does make one grateful to have good use of all four limbs though, doesn't it? You're planning to be out here in May too right?

Started on my MS2K last night too, wow, small a** little components too! I've decided to put into a Pro-Line just get Andy K. all frothered up.

Jazzboy (Andy H.) I didn't think McM. C. would have any that small. If they do, let me know the part number and I'll order several (hundred?) pieces. I'll USPS what you need for you. They have a warehouse between my home and work so I can easily stop by or have them shipped here.

Mark
Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You're killing me, Mark!

Andy
Old 03-27-2011, 04:47 PM
hook57

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

You're killing me, Mark!

Andy

Look forward to meeting you Andy!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:43 PM
doxilia

Well,

I finally got around to talking some snaps of the MS2K encoder kit from Kees. Granted, they're not the best pics in the world but they provide an idea at least. The photo of the display came out soft so I'll have to take another.

I expect to be able to go next week to pick up some supplies to start putting this encoder together.

In the pictures, I dropped in some of the components into the encoder board to check for fit. The pin connectors come as a double row of joined pins so you have to cut them to size for the various different pin-outs on the encoder. The encoder board comes with the surface mount PIC already installed along with a couple of small surface mount resistors as well. All other components are through hole parts that are soldered by the builder.

I split the computer ribbon cable which is used to interconnect the encoder with the display. 14 wire leads are required so I split them off from the red #1 pin end of the ribbon. The connector that comes with the kit is actually a 16 lead connector (I think Kees ran out of the 14 pin connectors) so it's a bit wider than needed. Also, only one connector comes but I'd like to use two so it's easy to install the encoder and the display separately and then just connect them together with the ribbon cable. Enough male end pin connectors are provided to install the 14 pins needed on the display itself (shown at right on the display).

Two DIN connectors are provided for COMM and ACC (communications and accessories). I doubt I'll use either in this SS small Tx as all I need is really a 1/8" mono jack for the PPM signal output (for a simulator and testing) and a charge jack for the battery. If I end up using a LiFe battery, I may just make the Deans connector accessible from the bottom or side of the Tx for a standard multiple type battery charger.

A DB9 serial connector is also provided for computer communications and for programming the encoder if needed with Gordon's PC application. A USB interface is also available and I would have preferred this alternative but the parts needed didn't come with the kit. I'll have to contact Kees to see if he has the parts for that which actually requires another surface mount IC just below the main PIC on the encoder board (space for it can be seen in the photo).

Two packets come with the various resistors, capacitors and fuses while a separate alum foil wrapped packet contains some static sensitive parts such as the two additional IC's (serial - shown installed on board lower left, and voltage regulator - to be installed above the serial IC but still on the alum foil), the crystal, some diodes and what I believe is a transistor! As far as I know there are no discrete transistors on the encoder board so perhaps it is for the display - I'll have to inquire with Kees. A special 4.7 kOhm resistor is also provided for the rudder pot on the encoder RN1 resistor network. This is needed to knock down the voltage due to the greater travel in a single stick rudder pot compared to the travel in a dual stick arrangement.

As shown, the encoder board has RN2, RN3, RN4 and RN5 resistor networks (RN's) installed in position as well as the piezo buzzer (shown with a label on top) and the various pin-outs in position. The RN's are single part multiple pin components that replace the use of individual resistors and are easier to install and solder. In principle the main control pots also have their RN1 network but it is substituted for four discrete resistors in order to be more flexible for either dual or single stick encoder builds. The 4.7 kOhm resistor (with blue masking tape) is only used in SS applications.

As can be seen, the kit is rather straight forward and the encoder build requires patience and basic good soldering but otherwise is a fairly straight forward build. Since I have yet to put mine together, it remains to be seen whether my optimism about the build will turn out in a functional encoder. My main concern, other than a good solder job, is making sure that none of the parts are defective or that one may accidentally be shorted during the build. Precautions involving grounding are a good idea to prevent any possible shorting - especially in the IC's.

By the way, as a reminder, there are two versions of the encoder - a 10 bit and a 12 bit. The only difference between the two component wise is the main PIC (IC2). This encoder kit here is the 10 bit version (1024 ADC resolution) but looks virtually identical to the 12 bit version since the PIC looks the same other than for it lettering identification. The 12 bit evidently has 4096 ADC resolution which ideally would be coupled with an RF deck of comparable resolution. The price difference between the two kits is $10 ($50 for the 10 bit and $60 for the 12 bit).

I hope this gives potential builders or those waiting for their kit to arrive an idea of what to expect.

David.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64224.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	573.8 KB
ID:	1587766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13431.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	621.2 KB
ID:	1587767  
Old 04-03-2011, 04:40 AM
hook57

Looking good David! About where I'm at too.Gutting the Pro-Line is gettingtough on the "nostalgia" in me

hk
Old 04-03-2011, 05:00 AM
doxilia

Mark,

did your kit come with a 2 pin or 3 pin oscillator? What about the display connectors - are they 14 lead? Any USB components? Did you get a transistor? If so, know what it's for and where it goes?

If you are able to take some pics of the parts, it would be helpful

I have to find my parts list as I don't believe it mentions any transistors. I'll have to inquire with Kees or Andy - they would know.

David.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:22 AM
somiss1
My Feedback: (5)

David,
I get my springs from Tower(Futaba). They are stiffer springs than stock which is nice for SS. Cheap, too! Look under Futaba parts.
Frank
Old 09-09-2016, 12:14 PM
Wolfgang1932

Originally Posted by doxilia
An overall picture of the original Kraft '74 radio is shown below. The main encoder circuitry of the rebuilt radio will go along with one of the modern 2.4 GHz RF decks for signal broadcast which allow for user interference free concurrent radio use. My tentative idea is to use a Spektrum 2.4 GHz RF deck but case size, RF module dimensions and installation options might require this particular radio to use another brand of RF deck. Posted below are also three battery options for powering the transmitter including:
[ul][*] 8s AA NiMH 1650 mAh pack[*] 3s LiFe 1500 mAh pack[*] 3s LiPo 1500 mAh pack
[/ul]
David.
Can you tell me how much the whole package cost including all the Kraft parts any additional batteries I would appreciate if you contact me at my email [email protected] I'm very much interested thank you Gunter Wittig
Old 09-13-2016, 06:34 AM
doxilia

Originally Posted by Wolfgang1932
Can you tell me how much the whole package cost including all the Kraft parts any additional batteries I would appreciate if you contact me at my email [email protected] I'm very much interested thank you Gunter Wittig
Hi Gunter. Thanks for reviving this old thread. After re-reading a little, it seems it had some good info in it! Unfortunately I haven't been able to complete this project although I do now have a pair of MS2K encoder kits as I wanted to build a dual stick Kraft 7C as well. In any case, it's hard to know exactly how much parts cost because I haven't kept track of each expense as I went along to buy parts. The encoder kits I believe used to sell for $50 if memory serves. The vendor, Kees, no longer offers them though and I'm not sure who, if anyone, does. The actual board should be obtainable from Gordon (the encoder designer and engineer) or other sources he mentions on his M2K website.

As for the Kraft Tx itself I don't recall but they are obtainable on eBay from time to time. The biggest expense is usually the related switches and buttons required to round out the feature rich encoder capabilities. Bought on a part by part basis, it can be expensive. What I did to pick up switches was to buy old FM transmitters which I stripped the switches from.

All in all, an M2K Tx build is more expensive than a low cost 8 channel commercial Tx (unless you already have the vintage Tx you want to build along with the required parts) but the features and feel of the rebuild can't be compared. Also, for a SS Tx, there are no other options at present other than modifying older FM or PCM (harder but doable) SS radios by Futaba or JR.

I hope this helps.

David

Last edited by doxilia; 09-16-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:58 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Alternates to the MS2K encoder are

Simple Encoder http://www.mindspring.com/~rellis2/r.../SimpEncV3.doc
Cal Orr may have one available, and he does custom conversions.
Phil Green (UK) http://www.singlechannel.co.uk/
Old 09-16-2016, 01:48 AM
hook57

Originally Posted by grotto2
Alternates to the MS2K encoder are

Simple Encoder http://www.mindspring.com/~rellis2/r.../SimpEncV3.doc
Cal Orr may have one available, and he does custom conversions.
Phil Green (UK) http://www.singlechannel.co.uk/
Highly interested Grotto! Links to purchase or contract info? Or is it UK only?
Thanks.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:59 AM
doxilia

Grotto, Mark,

I'd be interested in one (or two) of those simple 8 ch encoders (from single channel I take it out of the UK) as well. It might be the quickest way to get a couple of older Kraft Tx's into service again.

Thanks for the link to the manual but is there a website or contact to purchase these? I see from the manual and schematics that it was designed by Ron Ellis but a quick search yielded very little.

Any further info would be appreciated.

TIA, David
Old 09-17-2016, 09:21 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think right now, there are no kits of the MS2K being sold. I had multiple chances to get one, and botched it. The info is all public, but I think Kees has stopped his kitting. To do it you have to source everything. http://mstar2k.com/
Old 09-18-2016, 04:36 AM
hook57

Originally Posted by TFF
I think right now, there are no kits of the MS2K being sold. I had multiple chances to get one, and botched it. The info is all public, but I think Kees has stopped his kitting. To do it you have to source everything. http://mstar2k.com/
Yep, that is well known. David and I are referring to the Simple Encoder V3 as mentioned by Grotto a few posts back. As for the MS2K, I do have three already assembled, powered up,mand waiting to be installed. Just haven't had the time to get it done!
mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.