Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Bridi XLT vs Bridi Escape vs Bridi Great Escape

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Would you prefer to build an XLT? Why?
26.03%
Would you prefer to build an Escape? Why?
10.96%
Would you prefer to build an Escape with Bill Cunningham''s mods? Why?
13.70%
Would you prefer to build the Great Escape? Why?
9.59%
Would you prefer using a 2 cycle glow? Why?
32.88%
Would you prefer a 4 cycle glow engine? Why?
6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Bridi XLT vs Bridi Escape vs Bridi Great Escape

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:27 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bridi XLT vs Bridi Escape vs Bridi Great Escape

Hello all!

I am interrested in some history here.

I am asking for anyone with intimate knowledge (this doesn't mean you need have flown them, but at least competed against or viewed in competition settings) of either aircraft to share their insight, experience, and opinions on any facet of these airplanes. Of particular interrests to me are experiences in competition, opinions on design, and opinions in set up. How did these airplanes stack up to others in their day? But anything is welcome.

Please share any photographs, anything related would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian Lundberg

p.s.
I have read on RCU that Bill Cunningham was going to give all the mods for the Escape he could remember giving to Joe Bridi, but I don't think that ever transpired. If so, I'd like to find them...
Old 03-23-2011, 02:21 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bridi Escape vs Bridi Great Escape

I flew an Escape in competition in 1988 or 89. It wasn't planned but in short order I lost my Avanti (shot down) and Joker (dumb thumbs) and felt this was the quickest way to get another model ready and I was also short on funds to go out and get a new glass/foam kit. The top models of the time were the Aurora, Atlanta, LA-1, Summit, etc...yet where I flew in the Southeast there were still some incredible fliers (older guys) winning contests in Expert and Masters with Arrows and Tipos! Keep in mind these were the days when the only "turnaround" style sequence was FAI so every other class could fly out and build up a head of steam for the one centered manuever each pass.

Anyway, in short I loved the way the Escape flew. I substitued 1/16" contest balsa for the wing skins, I think the kit had 3/32" heavy balsa, and made a few tweaks I had read about in the NSRCA newsletter but nothing major. Finished mine with glass cloth and K&B paint and used an OS RF pumped 61 & Hatori pipe; was also a taildragger with MK retracts. I was only flying Sportsman (would be Intermediate today as back then there was a Novice class) and didn't feel the airplane had any bad traits. I flew pattern because I enjoyed the competition, liked the models flown at the time, and enjoyed hanging out with a good group of people but I was only going to be a mid-pack finisher regardless of which airplane I flew. I dont feel the Escape was a hindrance in the lower few classes, and probably good through Expert but I think I only saw 1 other flown in competition. They were past their prime already and had no 'pizzaz' points; lets face it, compared to an Aurora it was pretty dorky looking. Certainly did fly well though.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 PM
EscapeFlyer

The top models of the time were the Aurora, Atlanta, LA-1, Summit, etc...
This being the case, the Escape was relatively new in 1988, was it not? I get the impression you felt it may not have been very competitive with these aircraft? Or was it just cosmetics?

was also a taildragger with MK retracts.
Interresting...

Anyway, in short I loved the way the Escape flew....and didn't feel the airplane had any bad traits.
I am learning that many airplanes had qualities that were sought after by some, and abhored by others. Each airplane seems to be as unique as the individual flying them. Nothing new here, but definately interresting when expressed by personal experience.

...compared to an Aurora, it was pretty dorky looking. Certainly did fly well though.
I am paarticularly interrested in Joeseph Bridi designs. I don't hear much about his later designs. They are simple, but they worked. And worked very well. Ugly may be ugly, but it is a gem to me! [8D]

s. wallace, I appreciate your post and hope to hear more follow up posts as well. Thank you sir. This does help and it is exactly what I'm looking for.

Brian
Old 03-23-2011, 03:31 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

I had a Dirty Birdy in the late 70's I built from a kit. Then went on to a Typo and finally a Phoenix 8. The P8 was the best flying once it was trimmed out. The Typo was a very close second. Both used Super Tiger for power. A little less power, but they lasted alot longer between rebuilds. Not to mention a very stable needle valve setting. Never did build an Escape though.

Dave
Old 03-24-2011, 02:29 AM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Great Escape was designed for the .90 class four strokes. The fuse was 5 1/2 " longer aft of the wing saddle.
I think all other dimensions were the same.

Tony
Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im almost finished with a Great Escape will be rossi powered
Old 03-24-2011, 05:36 AM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: roadtripessentials

The Great Escape was designed for the .90 class four strokes. The fuse was 5 1/2 '' longer aft of the wing saddle.

Tony
I do not mean to sound as though I disagree with you by this question, but where can I find this information? All my searches on the Great Escape come up empty handed.

I was thinking- a Bridi Great Escape with a new YS 115... Wow!

I'm almost finished with a Great Escape will be rossi powered
jetmech43- Look for a pm shortly.

Thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming!!!!

Brian
Old 03-24-2011, 11:05 AM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: roadtripessentials

The Great Escape was designed for the .90 class four strokes. The fuse was 5 1/2 '' longer aft of the wing saddle.

Tony
Any opinions on how this would perform with a Magnum .91 four stroke? (Even better if I could find someone able to craft a wrap around header leading to a tuned pipe out the rear of the canopy for a budget build???)

Brian
Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Brian,
You might try these guys for a 4 banger header.

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Exhaust/headers.html
Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Brian,

there's a thread discussing the various changes that were made to produce the Great Escape. David Wood was involved in the drafting of those changes based on the designers input. I believe it involved more that just a stretch of the fuse. Spinner size was changed, vertical tail section was quite different. The fuse overall required different parts to produce it - it couldn't be built from an Escape kit alone.

I'll see when I can get to those core templates.

David.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:20 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

The top models of the time were the Aurora, Atlanta, LA-1, Summit, etc...
This being the case, the Escape was relatively new in 1988, was it not? I get the impression you felt it may not have been very competitive with these aircraft? Or was it just cosmetics?
Brian, I really think the Escape design was earlier...maybe 81-82. Reason being the layout was a copy of the Arrow, by the mid 80's the big names were using the sleeker inverted engine, fully cowled and enclosed pipe setup models (Hanno Prettner aside, he was still winning WC's with simple models like the Supra Fly and Supra Star).

Remember in the late 80's we had MK and Yoshioka balsa kits and glass/foam Atlanta's, PA-2 (Aurora clone), Summit, Cursor, LA-1, Mistress, Conquest, Avanti, Brushfire, Tipo's, litterally dozens of good choices and very few guys flew a design more than a year or so old. Airplanes came and went fairly quickly as the 'in' thing. Everyone on this forum loves the Atlanta (and it does look great), but as far as I saw (speaking strictly the Southeast) they were popular among the top guys for a very short timeframe before they were on to something else.

Would an Escape fly the higher classes? Sure, I had a friend (former Masters flier) fly my Escape several times and he said it handled well enough to fly the manuevers well, but being 'draggier' had to work harder on some of the taller manuevers. I think it was a very forgiving design and ideally suited for a low time pattern flier of the day...guys with more experience just naturally seemed to want the prettier designs.

I never built a Great Escape, but I do very much recall Joe Bridi displaying them as 'new' at the Byron Expo in 1988. The Great Escape as I remember included the mods Bill Cunningham made to the Escape back when he did so well at the Nats with his. It stuck with me all these years that Joe came all the way to Iowa to display his line of kits at a giant scale event, but this also tells me the Escape had to be from the early 80s.

Scott
Old 03-24-2011, 02:22 PM
EscapeFlyer

David,

It is very kind of you to draw up templates for me. I appreciate it a lot. I cannot build another aircraft for a while, as I am deep into my Super Kaos build at the moment, and need to finish off my "Ultra Sport-rare." So I am not in a rush for the templates. However, I know nothing about these last designs of Bridi except the minimal information I have read in other threads and what we are discussing here.

Just info gathering for now...

I am curious as to what people were powering their escapes and great escapes with. It seems with typical pattern power of the time. The Rossi would be nice.

It also seems as though Joe stuck with his thick stab idea to the end. Did this hurt his designs in the end?

Brian
Old 03-24-2011, 02:34 PM
jetmech43

I will post some pics as soon as I get the last trim paint done
Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM
jetmech43

THe Escape came out in 1988
Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM
energyman
My Feedback: (2)

I had an Escape in the late 1980's. I participated in pattern in the Texas/Oklahoma area and had several conversations with Bill Cunningham regarding the evolution of the Escape. As I recall, the foundation for theEscape was the XLT. It was shortened and made slightly smaller. I remember modifying an XLT to Bill's early specs, but it was still a large and heavy plane even with Rossi power.The Escape Ihadas I recall was built withBill's updated mods and was paintedwith automotive lacquer and clear coated with enamel. I used a YS 60RE for power after experimenting with an OPS earlier, in fact in Bill's contest in Oklahoma with mixed results, hence the YS was installed. I had some success inFAI with it. If I can find a picture, I will post.

Prior to the XLT/Escape I competed with the MK Arrow with both OS and Rossi for power. Very fast and effective in ballistic patternthrough Masters. The XLT and Escape were slower and fit the FAI turnaround pattern of that era. MK Jokers came after the Escape. Good luck with your Escape.

Energyman
Old 03-24-2011, 03:38 PM
dave pattern
My Feedback: (3)

the great escape plan shows a date of december 1990.
incidentely if you have a copy of the escape plan it will give you the date.
according to Joe Bridi the plan number is the month and year it was drawn, hence the great esape plan is #1290.
the great escape is more of a mid wing and i believe the escape was lower. plus the fuselage was longer as has been noted by others.
Dave.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:23 PM
EscapeFlyer

energyman,

What is you opinion of the Escape against the competition of the time when you were using it? You said it was slower... Was this a good thing?

klhoard's Bluejay XLT build thread shows the use of carbon fiber composites in his construction. Using that and being judicious with the wood, I'm guessing the weight issue could be rectified a lot easier today?

Anyone with experience at the sticks of a Great Escape, especially in the early 90's until the end of the world as you knew it?

Brian
Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The last iteration of the Escape was a design called the Malibu by Bill Cunningham. I believe he used the Great Escape wing and stab (possibly modified) on a fuselage which looked very similar to a Dash-5 (inverted engine). The Malibu evolved into the very popular 4-stroke (120) version which was kitted in glass and foam. I'd love to hear from Bill about the 2-stroke 60 version of the Malibu.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 PM
funnflyerr
My Feedback: (11)

Checkout this old RCU thread where Bill Cunningham discussed with rainedave his Escape mods.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82...tm.htm#8251286
Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 PM
sunfly3
My Feedback: (34)

I am still flying the attached Bridi Escape with a YS91FZ, and it is a real hoot. Dave Brown retracts from a grass field at Space City RC hold up well and the plane really grooves and is fast. Bought the plane about 8 years ago and it is still my favorite.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89392.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1583830  
Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Mustang1971
My Feedback: (30)

Just about done with my Bridi Great Escape. Will power it with a period correct MVVS .77 on a pipe and Sonic Systems retracts. Currently glassed and primed. Pic from before glassing is in my profile.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:12 PM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: funnflyerr

Checkout this old RCU thread where Bill Cunningham discussed with rainedave his Escape mods.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82...tm.htm#8251286

Jackpot!

Thanks for the pic sunfly3!!!

I am very much looking forward to all the new build pictures!

Brian
Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 PM
mercura

Brian,

This might interest you, Its from the 1985 World Champs I belive.

Dave

Name:	Ki20069.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1584154  
Old 03-25-2011, 07:33 PM
EscapeFlyer

Wow. Thank you for that pic! Do you know the gentleman in the photo? How did this airplane finish?

Brian
Old 03-26-2011, 12:02 PM
jetmech43

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

Wow. Thank you for that pic! Do you know the gentleman in the photo? How did this airplane finish?

Brian
ok heres some pics of my Great Escape not finsished paint yet, hope to be finished soon

Name:	Sp45157.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	1584380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92646.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	1584381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx59910.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	1584382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81100.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	1584383  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.