Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Viper by Dario Brisighella (January 1973 AAM)

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Viper by Dario Brisighella (January 1973 AAM)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:06 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Viper by Dario Brisighella (January 1973 AAM)

Hi,

Remember the Viper from Amercian Aircraft Modeler January 1973? Deigned by Dario Brisighella Sr.
It is kind of sweet looking plane that probably was not a that great flying plane but it won first place for best original design and most outstanding finish at 1972 Toledo Conference.
I remember seeing it in ads in various US model magazines in early 1970th and while reading an old magazine some weeks ago I saw one such ad and then I decided to try to find drawing of it. After some search I found that construction article was in American Aircraft Modeler January 1973 and I eventually found a copy. Drawing was in the magazine.
I have not been able to figure out the exact wingspan but after making various measurements on the drawing for example 11 inch prop is shown on the drawing and when I resized the drawingso that distance was correct the wingspan came out to 1640millimeter / 64,5 inch. That should be rather close to what it should be.
The plane has a rather unusual wing airfoil. It was used with a Webra Blackhead 61 and Proline retracts.
If anyone know the exact wingspan I would appreciate that.

It is written in the article how this award winning plane was finished (there was 2 other Viper plane build also by the designer): 10 coats of white dope, 10 coats of each color, 10 coats of clear on top of that and then alot of rubbing.

Anyway, I have archived this Viper with drawing in TIF and PDF and the construction article in PDF now. Mr Brisighella also made a 6 page step-by-step construction manual "Building the Viper, My Way" but I do not have that (if anyone has it just post it in this thread if you want). I do not plan to build it in near future but just to be able tois always nice, sometimes much work is needed to just get a drawing of the favorite (flying and looking) planes.
I uploaded the TIF and PDF drawingto a folder on internet I have and if anyone want a copy of the drawing just PMme and You will get a download link.
Some pictures of the Viper below, and the construction article ishere: http://www.algonet.se/~boem/Drawings/Viper/Viper_American_Aircraft_Modeler_January_1973.pdf

Viper is on the "approved" list of planes at Senior Pattern Association.

regards,
Bo

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97813.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1630938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38212.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	1630939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46582.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1630940  
Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 AM
JoeAverage

Default RE: Viper by Dario Brisighella (January 1973 AAM)

Thanks for the information and link to article. Most appreciated. I was just in contact with DB Jr. I was looking for Vespa plans. He mentioned the Viper which was, to paraphrase, the next generation or improved version. if you know where plans are available for Viper, please advise. A really good .60 size pattern would be just great right now. Not looking to compete but want a performer. Cheers, Bill

Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
bem

Bill,

I have the Viper plan available as PDF that You can take to a plot bureau so You get a paper plan.
I sent you a PM with download link to the PDF plan so check Your inbox here at RCU.
Maybe the AMA plans service can have the plan so You can order a paper copy from them
http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans/plans.aspx

/Bo
Old 08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
JoeAverage

ORIGINAL: bem

Bill,

I have the Viper plan available as PDF that You can take to a plot bureau so You get a paper plan.
I sent you a PM with download link to the PDF plan so check Your inbox here at RCU.
Maybe the AMA plans service can have the plan so You can order a paper copy from them
http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans/plans.aspx

/Bo
Hello Bo,

Thanks for your PM. Will respond with e addy. I looked over the pdf with 2pg magazine plan and couldn't find out the wing span. The 2.5" spinner and 2.25" wheels measure the same diameter scaling the drawings. Precious little to go by in order to enlarge the plan. Without someone who has the plan or knows the length........Dario doesn't seem too taken with RC. Miniature masterpieces of working engines on the other hand......he's the man. Maybe an RCU member can shed light if they pass by. Kind of you to assist. PM.

Bill
Old 09-21-2013, 10:28 AM
br549
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an original plan, magazine and the fuselage used in the construction article if anyone is interested.

Regards,

BR-549
Old 09-21-2013, 05:30 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

I attended the Toledo show when the Viper won the best paint job or best of show. The plane was beautiful. I heard that the original never flew. It may have been a hangar queen with a heavy paint job. It also had a supposed laminar flow airfoil. I remember the construction article had photos of a couple of other Vipers with different paint jobs and possibly different dihedrals. I always wanted to build one.

Last edited by SGibson; 09-21-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-13-2015, 09:51 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was this design kitted by Davey systems? They had a viper kit that looks very similar
Old 01-17-2015, 06:17 AM
bem

I do not know if Davey Systems had different Vipers but this one (see photo below) is not similar to Viper by Dario Brisighella.
/Bo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Davey_Systems_Viper.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	2064624  
Old 03-11-2015, 03:17 PM
bem

Link to Viper construction article above did not work so here is a link that works:

http://www.algonet.se/~boem/Drawings...nuary_1973.pdf

/Bo
Old 04-09-2015, 06:37 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

I found a copy of the 1973 American Aircraft Modeler magazine on Ebay. I took the small plan that was in the magazine to a blue print copying firm (Not Kinko's ) As I sat at a guys desk, he scanned the small plan, then scaled it up on his computer screen using the 1 and 3/4 in nose wheel and 2 and 1/4 inch main wheels as a guide. He then printed the full size plan, measured the wheels to make sure they came out to exactly the correct measurement. He had me look at the plan he printed and asked me if it looked good. All of the fuse and wing planform lines looked great. I asked him how much it would cost to get a full size plane printed and he said $6.00 each and he would give the test plan for free. I walked out with six copies for a total cost of thirty dollars. The entire process took less than 15 minutes !!
I found a like new Webra Sixty Blackhead on Ebay for power and I am having a Kraft Series Seventy six channel converted to 2.4
S Gibson
Houston, TX