Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Potential Classic Pattern Contest at Eglin AFB, FL (Niceville/Ft. Walton Beach)

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Separate 2 Day (Sat/Sun) Contest in Apr/May Timeframe
86.96%
Combine with the Beachcomber (AMA) Contest (October)
13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Potential Classic Pattern Contest at Eglin AFB, FL (Niceville/Ft. Walton Beach)

Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Hokie Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Classic Pattern Contest at Eglin AFB, FL (Niceville/Ft. Walton Beach)

All,

We (The Eglin Aeromodellers) just wrapped up the annual Beachcomber Pattern Classic this past weekend. The current format for the Beachcomber contest is a standard 1 and 1/2 day contest with everyone departing not later than 2 PM on Sunday.

We have several club members, myself included are interested in Classic Pattern and are discussing hosting a Classic Pattern event in 2012. I am seeking feedback on whether we should combine a Classic Pattern event with our annual AMA Pattern contest in October or plan a separate Classic Pattern contest for the spring, in the late April/early May timeframe.

Please feel free to add additional suggestions to this thread.

Thanks.

Rob Campbell
Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Potential Classic Pattern Contest at Eglin AFB, FL (Niceville/Ft. Walton Beach)

CPA is looking better all the time!!

Jim
Old 10-13-2011, 03:30 AM
ChiefK

Default RE: Potential Classic Pattern Contest at Eglin AFB, FL (Niceville/Ft. Walton Beach)

As an ex-Eglin Aeromodeller (early 70's), my on-going interest in classic pattern comes from my experience with this group. BRAVO to you guys. My vote is for a separate contest. Does anybody remember my red-white-blue Troublemaker (J&J kit, Webra Speed, Pro-Line radio, Pro-Line retracts) that took me to a 2nd place in novice pattern at the Lake Charles Nats (1974)?

Greg K.
SPA 444
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91989.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	1673737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93291.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	1673738  
Old 10-13-2011, 03:34 AM
klblackw

Rob,

I would vote for separate contests. We have a hard time getting in 6 rounds of AMA on a regular weekend contest and adding in the old airplanes just makes it impossible.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 AM
remmulp
My Feedback: (6)

Rob,

I'm with Ken on this; separate Classic Pattern Contest.

Mike
Old 10-13-2011, 05:54 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Rob,

Sent you a PM with info..

My vote a 2 day CPA contest !
Old 10-13-2011, 06:39 AM
wingding
My Feedback: (5)

Rob,

This will be large enough to separate. I started single channel at Eglin in 65 and would love to fly there again.

Charlie
Old 10-13-2011, 08:30 AM
obergc

I vote for a separate 2 day CPA contest, sounds like fun.

Curt Oberg
Old 10-13-2011, 03:37 PM
dphill2

Rob,
It's a seprate two day for me !! Can I sign up now ?? We use to fly on some runways out in the boondocks back in the 70's. I think they were some practice fields the Air Force or Navy used, We would stay in Fort Walton so the Wife and kid's could play and we would sneek off early AM and fly all day !! We also flew in some contest @ the Pensacola Navy base !!!!
Man What fun that that was and would love to do it again.........

Count me in
Dave .................
Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 PM
EscapeFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AMAZING!

Brian
Old 10-13-2011, 04:50 PM
ChiefK

Curt,

Your name is so familiar. Were you there in the early 70's when I was there?

Greg K.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Hokie Flyer

Chief K,

Ron Van Putte might remember your Troublemaker.  He arrived here in 1972. Did you fly with Ron, Jim Kirkland, and Cliff Nunnery?

Rob 
Old 10-14-2011, 02:07 AM
ChiefK

Ron was there... the furthest airplane back (of the three in my picture) was Ron's at the time. Unfortunately, I never met Jim or Cliff.

Greg K
Old 10-14-2011, 07:20 PM
obergc

Greg,
I started flying pattern with a Troublemaker at the McDonnell Douglas contest in Aug 1974 but I moved to Phoenix, Az shortly after that and flew paattern on the west coast/southwest.  We moved to Eglin in Jan, 1979 and I was very active in pattern in the southeast until late 1983 when my job took me away from the hobby.  I still have all my old pattern ships and I've converted my old ProLines to 2.4 gig programmable radios and I've been piddling around with getting back into pattern with the CPA and SPA events.  I'm building an old Mach 1 kit that I bought in 1974 with fixed gear and non tuned pipe .61 for SPA next year.  Maybe we crossed pattern paths somewhere else besides Eglin????
Curt Oberg
Old 10-15-2011, 03:38 AM
ChiefK

Might have been Phoenix Curt. I was reassigned to Luke AFB about that time.... Germany (Spangdahlem), NKP Thailand, Eglin AFB, FL, Mather AFB (Sacramento), Keesler AFB (Biloxi, MS), and others before I got started in RC. My story is somewhat like yours. College courses and career took me out of RC mid-80's. Semi-retirement got me back in about two years ago. The "itch" for classic pattern came back quickly. Joined SPA... thinking about CPA if I ever get my old Tipo built.

Greg
Old 10-15-2011, 10:26 AM
obergc

Very likely it was Luke Greg, I was a McDonnell Douglas tech rep on the then "brand new" F15 Eagle, worked mostly with the avionics and weapons folks and I practiced pattern every Sat and Sun on the club field that was a taxiway on the north side of the field.  Some place around here in my "stuff" I still have an old club roster of the Luke AFB Condors at the time.  Luke is where I really got involved in pattern flying.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Hokie Flyer

All,

I'd like to thank everyone who posted and/or voted  here. Based nn the overwhelming majority opinion, I'm setting tentative dates of 12-13 May.  This date may move as I need to deconflict with other CPA/SPA and NSRCA District 3 contests and have the event approved and scheduled with the club.  Your responsed here provided me with the justification I need to convince the club to host the event.

Thanks again.

Rob
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 AM
vquick
My Feedback: (71)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will say separate and the AMA in October make that one as a chalange with D6 and Rob you can count with me as co cd for this I will be living in that are at that time

Victor Diaz
Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Hokie Flyer

The May date was a non-starter.  Turns out there is already a CPA event at Mac Hodges field that weekend.  How does 28-28 April sound?

Rob
Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Hokie Flyer

Victor,

I like the D3/D6 challenge idea.  I'm looking forward to you becoming a member of the Eglon Aeromodellers.

Rob