Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TOC Laser

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: TOC Laser

Here is the beginning of mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eb86823.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	1728743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ok28654.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	1728744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kq35706.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	1728745  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks really good. The rate I am going, we will be test flying close to the same time. LOL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How did your prototype balance with the DA/ DLE 55. Need to know so i can build a hatch in the bottom fuse between the stringers. Im using contest grade balsa on the tail group.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It was a little nose heavy but the cowl on that was heavy and I did lightening holes in the balsa fuse sides. I ened up putting the RX battery about 8" behind the canopy. On the new one, I may have the same issue, the header and canister weigh a little more then a pound. What do you plan to do foe flying wires on the tail?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For flying wires im thinking .078 wire or some good fishing leader. I think fishing leader is going to be the lightest but if i need the ballast i will use 2-56 rods.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used .070 CF rod with the Dubro locking clevis. A drop of CA will bond the clevis in place forever. The attachments on the tail were Dubro aileron connectors, one on each side with a 4-40 aluminum screw holding them.

http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...8.0.0.0?pp=12&

http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...1.0.0.0?pp=12&

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have enjoyed this thread a lot and have been gathering parts and materials for my Laser build. Then, wouldn't you know I found a quick fix to my Laser desire. Went to the Twin City Radio Controllers huge auction a couple of weekends ago in Minneapolis, MN. There before me was a Lanier Laser all built and looking very nice. For a high bid of $265 I took it home. It came from an estate buy out as I understand it and is a clean, no scuffs airplane. It is apparant though that it is not a light weight like is being built in this thread but it is a starting point. The light weight will have to wait for sometime in the future. Fuse, wing and wheels weighs around 16+ pounds and should come out around 21 pounds ready to gas up. Got the servos ordered and the DLE 55 is waiting to be installed. It will serve the purpose for the flying I enjoy.

Name:	Tr50580.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	1729780  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great!!! I love the Red Bull Scheme. I have lots of pictures of Lasers from the mid 90's. Most were powered with 3W 70 twins and came in at about 21 lbs. They seemed to fly well anyways. With the DLE 55, you may find that you will need to dump some weight out of the tail. If that is the fact and you need any suggestions let me know. Question, is R/C city in St. Paul still around? I used to get stuff from Maury there, if I remember correctly he was on 7th st. just south of the 7th st bridge.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got a couple of wings sheeted. The first is the root end just out of the bag. I took a break from sheeting the second set of wings and rough sanded the first set. After the sanding, I put them both on the scale..................16.5 oz each. At that point, I couldn't help myself. I put both panels on the fuse and weighed it. At this point everything is there except for radio gear, hinges and prop. The weight at this point is just over 11 lbs.

Name:	Db85231.jpg 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	1729798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt60863.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	1729799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Af89822.jpg 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	1729800  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With Heggen opening up the Red Bull bag I thought I would throw out the intended color scheme.

Name:	Yw66645.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	1729810  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did you use 1/16 sheeting on the wing panel? and how bout spars? Im using the stock kit lanier foam shucks but gonna eliminate the rear spars in lue of larger ailerons. then core out foam in between the ribs. thinking of using 1/4" hard balsa sticks for spars and put some carbon fibre strand top and bottom. I also have a good stock of 3/32 and 1/16 lightweight contest balsa i found from a retired rc'er.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Speedracerntrixie, the Maury you knew moved his shop from St Paul, to Burnsville, MN where I lived and knew him briefly. Sorry to say cancer took him a few years ago.
    Regarding the tail heavy Laser, it was powered by a heavy G62. I will power it with a DLE 55. Rudder and elevator servos are mounted under the stab. Extra weight up front will come from the ignition battery which the G62 did not have, plus the radio battery was monted behind the wing in the turtledeck so that can be moved forward. I will mount the throttle and servo as far forward as possible. I could also move the rudder servo forward and set up a pull-pull cable to the rudder. If that all doesn't work, I will put a bag of helim somewhere back by the stab.
    If all goes well with the Laser next summer, I will strip the covering and install lighter components or go with more power. I have considered a DLE 111. Either way it will be fun.
    Thanks for the offer of help. I will keep that in mind.
    Nice work on your build! There is obviously skill and patience working through you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Derek, I sheeted the wings with 1/16 contest balsa with no spars. I have done both Colombo Anderson and Carden 40% airplanes that were sheeted the same so I figure it will be just fine on my little 50cc Laser. On my kit built Laser, I did everything as per plan except I used the softest 1/4 sq balsa I could find for spars and I cut 2" holes in the foam at the leading edge along with 1.5 and 1" holes in the trailing edge. I did not cut out the foam from the bays. The ailerons werejust a tad small. With the new one I will be adding 3/4" cord to them.Still hit 15.25 lbs with that one and used the alum wing tube and gear.

Heggen, sorry to hear about Maury, he was a good guy to deal with. The 55 is on par power wise with the G62 so if it flew well with the 62 then the 55 will be enough power and 2 lbs lighter. You may have to move things forward but it will be worth the work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Progress is still slow. Racing season is coming uop so I had to dust off the race planes and take some laps. Today I did manage to work on the tail mounting some. This consisted of making up some light ply doublers and a vertical former that will key the horiz stab and vert stab together.

Name:	Pn37632.jpg 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	1735028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qm35962.jpg 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	1735029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw58522.jpg 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	1735030  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

With Heggen opening up the Red Bull bag I thought I would throw out the intended color scheme.

I like that, now you can have Racer Edge to chase Speed!
    Chris...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now that all the big building is done and we are to the little detail stuff, I am getting a little more motivated. Todat I seperated all the control surfaces on the tail and built control horn pockets for the G-10 control horns I will be using. Once covered the horns will get a film of epoxy on the base and then slid into place. I was also able to get the canopy mounts done. CF pins up front and tabs in the back. Had to do this one different, the tabs are mounted to the fuse and insert up into the canopy. Not enough room to do it the other way when the wings are in place.

Chris, yes I am kinda stuck in the race theme. It's all good some of the Red Bull airplanes are spectacular. Almost makes me want an Edge, they just don't fly all that well with the strait leading edge though.

Name:	Ca82144.jpg 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	1735498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40950.jpg 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	1735499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xd81126.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	1735500  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Shawn,

Nice work, I'm impressed by your edge. How do you cut it so straight and smooth? Do you use guides on top and bottom to get it symmetrical?

Also, where do you get the control horns?

I took the liberty of including a pix of my Ulery Laser fuse, its the 98 incher Dave Brown flew at the '82 TOC. I'll be using the cowl you sent on it and have to say you build light cowls. Again, nice work.

J e r

Sorry guys, I can't include the pix via Insert/Edit image. Ineed a buddy box and directions. Please help.

[img]e:/dcim/130canon/img_3021.jpg[/img]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Use the file upload function links at the bottom of the post text window. You need to do a proper reply rather than a quick reply at the bottom of the thread page.

Hope this helps.

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jer, most of the parts shown are cut with a Dremel saw. One of my favorite quotes is " The difference between a good airplane and a great airplane is the amount of sanding" I have a ton of sanding tools of all shapes and sizes. It's a matter of taling the time to work the part. The control horns were ordered from iflytailies.com They are a glider outfit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well things are starting to move a little quicker now. The wings have been sanded, all I need to do is cut out the ailerons, face them and do servo mounts. The tail needs to be hinged and beveled then the airplane is ready for paint and covering.

Name:	Rp43073.jpg 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	1739134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up47276.jpg 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	1739135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej14540.jpg 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	1739136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh13295.jpg 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	1739137  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

speedracerntrixie,

I'm going to scratch build a Laser and really like what you have done. I have the Lanier laser plan and will cut myown foam cores.
    My first question is will your fiberglass parts fit a Lanier laser? If not what needs changed?
    Are you using the stock Lanier airfoil? Also did you cut the stock washout?
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Don.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don, thank you for the complements. The Lasers pictured are actually based on the Lanier kit. All the fiberglass parts would indeed fit a stock Lanier kit. The stock airfoil as shown on your plans works really well. I was going to use it but I was unable to get my set of plans and templates back from a foam cutter I tried to have cut my wings. I ended up using an airfoil that has been working really well on my pattern airplane. For this type of airplane, I suggest you do not incorporate washout. The wing does not need it, there is not enough taper and the wing loading is low. No dangers of tip stalling. The Lanier kit with the proper materials used can easily come out at 16 lbs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your build is looking really fine.
    Thought I would update my "prebuilt" auction Laser. Removed the ABS turtledeck back to the leading edge of the stab and built a film covered former and stringer turtledeck. Replaced the vinyl Red Bull lettering that lapped over the old removed turtledeck with Ultrcoat letters copied from the original by doing a pencil rub transfer on paper over the old letters. Came out really nice. Put the rudder servo under the wing and put the throttle, choke, and smoke valve servos behind the firewall. Radio and ignition batteries are just behind the servos. With 1.5 lbs less engine weight compared to the G62, I was worried that there would have to be lead in the nose but it balanced per the plan. The sad part of the report is that the airplane still weighs 22 lbs. Whoever built the model might have built heavy, or perhaps the wood that came in the kit was heavy. Each wing complete with a servo weighs 2.75 lbs.The aluminum landing gear and wing tube account for a lot also.
    The point I am touching on here is that careful selection of wood, eliminating non-essential structure, carbon fiber parts and light fiberglass parts make a world of difference when it is put on the scale. You are certianly going down the right road on your build.
    Regardless of weight, I am sure my 22 lb'er will get up and scoot. I am looking forward to playing with the smoke system I installed more than doing 3D with this one. The next one will come out considerably lighter with the above points in mind.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for your reply and info. I've had two other Lasers and enjoyed both, each one a little lighter.
    Another question, what is the downside of washout in aLanierwing? Again great job and thanks !

Don.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The down side would be a large trim difference when inverted and that washout becomes wash-in so a slow hard turn while inverted could result in a tip stall.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast