Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Work Bench / Table Top

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Bootalini

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work Bench / Table Top

Just thought I'd share photos of my newly acquired workbench. I've built several models on slate, the last being my electric Aurora but I had to leave my 4'X8' pool table behind when I moved from Colorado Springs to Ottawa a few years back. Recently, I was scouring the local used adds looking for a piece(s) of slate and I came across a 5'X10' billiard table for $250. While the table is old and a bit rough cosmetically, it's solid, heavy as hell and the slates (3 pieces) are fine. The table as you see it is re-assembled in my basement is perfectly level and flat,...I trued it with the cloth off using an actual pool ball, shims, billiard putty (for the slate joints) etc....it's no 5 minute job, that's for sure.

A few minor drawbacks: 1) you don't want to cut directly on the slate (or the cloth), I use rubber cutting mats on top 2) slate can flex a bit if you put enough weight on it...don't load 100+ lbs when gluing skins to foam cores etc, no need for that anyways.

Anyhow, something to consider when deciding on a building surface. A surface I know is true and flat throughout , I love it for aligning plug-in wings, stabs etc. Enjoy.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89877.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1724349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15559.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1724350  
Old 02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
boomerik

Default RE: Work Bench / Table Top

Hi,

Looking good, i use an old 12mm thick glass plate from an old jewellery store counter top it`s 2 meters long and 90 cm wide so big enough for most things and perfectely flat .

Erik
Old 02-07-2012, 02:27 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Since I'm from the land of IKEA (Sweden) I know they have some nice wood countertops that works as building tables. If You want to easy stick building needles into the surface You can glue cork sheets on top of countertops. Or just make some "portable" countertops You can have here and there so You can build in parallel (wing here, stab there, fuselage there) if you would prefer that. I know people have some smaller building boards when watching TV (build a stab or fin etc), like women knitting (but I think not many do knitting these days).

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/ca...kitchen/10472/

/Bo
Old 02-07-2012, 03:01 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What!? No knitting!@%? [X(]

I actually crochet while waiting for glue to dry... No time to waste, eh?

Jokes aside, I actually did knit when I was a kid - grandmother tought me her Swiss style - no armpits!

Nice table Jeff! What's going on it?

David
Old 02-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Rendegade

Jeff, that's what mine is ,although it's cracked through the centre, and has been ZAPPED back together! Can't play pool on it but it's still straight enough to build off.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My pool table was free. A neighbor decided it was too much trouble to move out of state and offered it to me. It was quite a project to disassemble, move, reassemble and level. It would make a superb building table with no sides but it is too nice to use as a build table.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 PM
80sPattern

ORIGINAL: Bootalini

I've built several models on slate, the last being my electric Aurora but I had to leave my 4'X8' pool table behind when I moved from Colorado Springs to Ottawa a few years back.

Jeff
Jeff,

Iread your E-Aurora thread with great interest. Your craftmanship is increadible.

Here is the big question.....Has it flown??

You inspired me to build my Conquest IV and make it electric.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php

It would be great to get your thoughts on my project.

(Sorry for the change in subject)

Doug

Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 AM
Bootalini

Thanks Doug for the kind words. I'm anxious to see how your Q4 flies.

I'll post an update WRT my Aurora(E).

Jeff