Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Prop failures

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:10 PM
jmb52760

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prop failures

The 55AX on the Deception was leaned-out for maximum performance, but the 61 FX on the Curare was running rich as it was still being broken-in.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:30 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Was that the canopy I did for you ?

Scott Anderson
Old 12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
jmb52760

The canopy that you did, on the Deception stayed on. It was the canopy on the Curare that departed. It was held on by a strong magnet and by two of those plastic snaps.

I wanted to keep the outside clean and avoid screws. I didn't account for severe vibration.

But yes, the canopy in the pic of the Deception is the one that you did. It looks great, probably the best looking part of the aircraft.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:46 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Glad the canopy made it ! sorry to hear about the bad luck with the props.... I only use APC..

scott anderson
CPA#2
www.classicpatternassociation.com

Old 12-19-2011, 05:16 PM
flyboy138

ORIGINAL: jmb52760

Yes, it really reinforces the habit of not letting anyone stand in line with the propeller.
+1
Old 12-19-2011, 06:33 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: eddieC

I think that's one-too-many zeroes on that headspeed ! [X(]
No kiddin'! [:-]

I was just trying to imagine a heli with rotors turning 19K rpm... and I'm no heli flyer...

David.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 PM
mustangmike

Wow, some great theories in this thread! Very enjoyable reading....
Old 12-20-2011, 09:40 AM
KLXMASTER14

Save the MA props for stirring paint. They have no place on a classic pattern aircraft, just like cheap chinese tires have no place on a Ferrari.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:22 PM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

Can we spin this in another direction.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: KLXMASTER14

Save the MA props for stirring paint. They have no place on a classic pattern aircraft, just like cheap chinese tires have no place on a Ferrari.
+1

P.S. Nice Curare!
Eric
Old 12-20-2011, 03:41 PM
jmb52760

If you mean this from a performance, safety, and structural integrity standpoint, then I see your point and I agree.

If you feel that Classic Pattern is some sort of exclusive club and only the people with the right equipment are "in", then you are welcome to your opinion. I obviously don't share it. I'm doing this because I like the way these planes look and fly, and it makes me a better pilot to fly these maneuvers. I'm not competing and probably never will. If it will work, and it's safe, and I can get it at the lhs then that's what I will choose. I'm not looking for that last 10 percent as an advantage.

I'll admit that I like to show up at the flying field with a scratch (plans or short kit) built pattern ship because it sets me apart. I'm just not interested in having everything exactly right. I'll leave that to the purists. I like to see these aircraft and I can surely appreciate them, it's just not for me.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:21 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

jmb:
I like to see these aircraft and I can surely appreciate them, it's just not for me.
I don't think anything was meant as far as an 'exclusive club'.

I really think the OP simply exceeded the 15K limit for the MA 11' prop he was running. Not a crime, but it shows how not everything in our hobby is 'plug-and-play'', where you can bolt on any component and have it work 100% of the time. Modern 2-stroke engines produce more power and rpm than earlier ones, and the MA prop is probably not up to the task. In his case, MA has an 11.5" Formula 1 prop that may load the engine enough and still have adequate ground clearance. Me, I'd get bigger wheels and run a 12" prop that will handle the max rpm the engine is capable of.

One thing I have noticed is how little folks pay attention to the limitations of their equipment: engine and prop maximum speeds in nitro and gas, ESC, battery, motor and prop limits for electrics. Some of the small (under 6") props for electrics are capable of near 40K rpm, and in some applications their limits can still be exceeded. 

The car guys are probably the worst offenders (sorry). Someone will post the same, 'I smoked my motor/ESC/battery' thread nearly every day and, when asked how many amps they're pulling, they don't know because [X(] they don't have a wattmeter. IMO, a wattmeter is required for anyone who has anything above Radio Shack-type RC equipment.

We don't have to be tech geeks (tho it helps), but we need to know and respect the limits of our equipment.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:32 PM
jmb52760

I agree 100% that I exceeded the 15K limit in the case of the Deception.

On the Curare, I don't think I did. I think it must have been a combination of the other factors discussed.

edit: I certainly would have, as soon as I had gotten the the aircraft "wrung-out", but I didn't.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 AM
KLXMASTER14

ORIGINAL: jmb52760

If you mean this from a performance, safety, and structural integrity standpoint, then I see your point and I agree.

If you feel that Classic Pattern is some sort of exclusive club and only the people with the right equipment are ''in'', then you are welcome to your opinion. I obviously don't share it. I'm doing this because I like the way these planes look and fly, and it makes me a better pilot to fly these maneuvers. I'm not competing and probably never will. If it will work, and it's safe, and I can get it at the lhs then that's what I will choose. I'm not looking for that last 10 percent as an advantage.

I'll admit that I like to show up at the flying field with a scratch (plans or short kit) built pattern ship because it sets me apart. I'm just not interested in having everything exactly right. I'll leave that to the purists. I like to see these aircraft and I can surely appreciate them, it's just not for me.

You got it right in the first sentence. I don't know where you came up with the rest of the stuff in your post. If you think that using parts and equipment that are up to the task is an "exclusive club", then I can't help you. MA props are cheap junk that are suitable for a plain bearing trainer engine at best. They are not suitable for a high performance application as you found out.