Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

If you had to choose which 3 would it be

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Curare (Hanno Prettner)
31.75%
Arrow (Wolfgang Matt)
27.62%
Super Curare (Hobby Barn)
11.11%
Magic (Hanno Prettner)
18.10%
Thunderbird (Joe Gross Design)
11.43%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

If you had to choose which 3 would it be

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you had to choose which 3 would it be

If given the choice of planes to be put back into a limited production run which 3 would it be.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:04 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: If you had to choose which 3 would it be

Chip,

do you have some pictures of the Thunderbird?

David.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:24 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David like the EU-1

Note, I'll try to post pic latter

500 - Internal server error.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Passport1

It was Similiar to the EU1 But not as jet looking IMO. I was really surprised today when Bill asked what else other then the Curare. I love the Arrows myself and Bill mentioned the rest. Anyway we need 3 PLanes and then also to figure out a price that everyone can live with. Lets start with the basic kit.

Basic Includes
1. Fiberglass Fuse
2 Foam Cores- Wing, Stab, and Rudder
3. Intruction Manual
4. Premarked Plywood kit

I know this is the very least a kit will come with so I figure its a good place to start . I will through out the first number. $125.00
Old 01-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Dean Pappas

Hi Chip,
Not the Magic ... never ever met one that did not have significant trim problems.

take care,
Dean P.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: Dean Pappas

Hi Chip,
Not the Magic ... never ever met one that did not have significant trim problems.

take care,
Dean P.
It was "Tragic" lol
Old 01-21-2012, 09:50 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Passport1

It was Similiar to the EU1 But not as jet looking IMO. I was really surprised today when Bill asked what else other then the Curare. I love the Arrows myself and Bill mentioned the rest. Anyway we need 3 PLanes and then also to figure out a price that everyone can live with. Lets start with the basic kit.

Basic Includes
1. Fiberglass Fuse
2 Foam Cores- Wing, Stab, and Rudder
3. Intruction Manual
4. Premarked Plywood kit

I know this is the very least a kit will come with so I figure its a good place to start . I will through out the first number. $125.00

I know if the prices started at $125.00, you would sell more than you could manufacture. I know I would be interested in several.

Frank

Old 01-21-2012, 10:11 PM
80sPattern

Chip,

Good to see your interest in Classic Pattern. Any chance you could come out to Robert's So Cal Classic Pattern get-together in Camarillo on May 19th? Tony F. was there last year along a few other names you might remember from your 1980's pattern barnstorming out here in So Cal.

Doug Woodward
Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

What's really missing among classic pattern planes in the seize isthe plane Hanno Prettner flew at his last WC where he won with Mystic 60. I know there wasMystic 90 (and 30) ARF but not the dimensions the Mystic 60 had. If You are going to produce an old classic pattern plane that is known to have top of the line flight characteristics Mystic 60would be my first choice. Not that complicated to do and should also work nice as electric that probably some would prefer. And OS Hanno Special is still reasonable easy to get second hand and even new at various auction sites. Mystic 60 kind of ended classic pattern 2-stroke era so the plane would represent many things: Prettner design, 2-stroke, last2-stroke plane that won WC, taildragger (easier design), retracts (or without). So it would fill a gap to have a replica basic kit of Myctis 60. $125 for a basic kit is very cheap so no problem with that I think.
Arrow is nice also of course.

1993 WC and Mystic 60 etc: http://www.algonet.se/~boem/ClassicPattern/Prettner/Mystic60/RCM-E_January1994_F3A_WC_1993.pdf

/Bo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37951.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	1716835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39780.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1716836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32529.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1716837  
Old 01-22-2012, 07:36 AM
doxilia

Bo,

Thanks for the excellent article! I'm glad to hear that there are other M60 fans out there besides Greg and myself.

As the defending champion, I'm sure that Chip remembers the Mystic quite well. After holding in third place during the prelims, it seems that Hanno held the best for last.

Personally I think that honouring Hanno with a glass/foam design would be tremendous and since the Curare has been done in various forms already (including a Hanno approved Austrian developed ARF) and the Magic didn't fall in many pilots graces, the Mystic would be a great candidate.

But then again, so would the Arrow as well as the Dr Jeckyll...[8D]

Maybe the Mystic, Jeckyll, Rubin trio...

David

PS That is a great shot of the underside of the M60; it shows that he used his "quadrifoglio" sponsor logo for trim! At least, I've always assumed that was a sponsor but perhaps it is a personal designers logo.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

I would like to change my "third" vote from the Magic to the Thunderbird! With both Chip and Dean lamenting the way the Magic flew I need to change to:

1 - Thunderbird
2 - Arrow
3 - Curare

Keep up the good work and interest in classic pattern, Chip.

Thanks,

Gene
Old 01-22-2012, 08:13 AM
doxilia

Something which presents some difficulty with the Magic is the lack of readily available "S" shaped headers.

A glass Mystic could be designed with plug-in wing and stab, a molded canopy area into the glass fuse and a glass cowl chin/belly pan combo. Much like the Aurora or Bettle designs. This would eliminate the need for separate canopies, cowls and wing pans. Access to the radio and engine would be from the underside and the pipe could remain integral to the model with the plug in wings.

Nothing like some folks voting for a model not on the list, eh?

I'm wondering if Chip could infer the length of the Mystic 60 fuse from its known span? If memory serves, Chip did very well with a Mystic 30 in a local event much to the displeasure of other competitors...

David
Old 01-22-2012, 08:43 AM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

"Thunderbird" finally can post a pic !

Name:	Fd91848.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1717029  
Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 AM
doxilia

Thanks for the pic Paul.

Well, based on that ad, $125 for a basic glass/foam kit today would be an excellent value. $25 inflation sounds pretty good after 30 years.

At that price, I'd have to agree they would sell like pan cakes!

Chip, is the poll for these particular models due to availability of molds or plugs?

David
Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 AM
DeferredDefect

Without a doubt the Curare - When I think "classic pattern", the only thing I can think of is this model.
As far as I can tell, it was probably the highest regarded pattern plane of the era - Prettner might have had something to do with it too !

Graeme
Old 01-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Thanks for the pic Paul.

Well, based on that ad, $125 for a basic glass/foam kit today would be an excellent value. $25 inflation sounds pretty good after 30 years.

At that price, I'd have to agree they would sell like pan cakes!

Chip, is the poll for these particular models due to availability of molds or plugs?

David
Yes that is correct Hobby Barn has the rights to these models. Bill told me that they had to pay Hanno for every plane they made. He then went on to say over its ten year life span, they made approx 5000 Curares. That is a huge number but back then sport flyers all had a pattern plane as well.

As far as the kit price I was just guessing but it will take actually making the first one this week to know exactley how much it will be.

C
Old 01-22-2012, 04:05 PM
turbo.gst

I remember seeing Joe Gross flying his Thunderbird. The wing root was like 3" thick. He flew it with a Webra 61 Long Stroke.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 PM
doxilia

Yes that is correct Hobby Barn has the rights to these models. Bill told me that they had to pay Hanno for every plane they made. He then went on to say over its ten year life span, they made approx 5000 Curares. That is a huge number but back then sport flyers all had a pattern plane as well.

As far as the kit price I was just guessing but it will take actually making the first one this week to know exactley how much it will be.

C
Well,

That's a very interesting back story. So presumably both Hanno and Wolfgang would continue to receive royalties from new runs of HB molds or wasn't it a life long commitment? (man, smart phones can be obtuse in their "spell checking")

That aside, as far as the re-production of these classics go, with the exception of the Curare and, to some extent, the Magic (a fuse top deck is available), there really isn't a source for these models to be built or flown other than some availability of plans. Because of this, my vote would go to a new production run of the rarer Thunderbird, Super Curare and, mostly, the Arrow. Not much has been done toward the preservation of Matt's classic designs - as far as I know...

At an attractive price, a glass Arrow would be very hard to pass up.

Question: did anyone else have rights to Matt's Arrow - for example, Quality Line kits out of Tucson, AZ? What about copies such as the Arcomaster (second picture)? Any memories Chip?

Some related images for the thread...

David

Name:	Yv65806.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1717312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71362.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1717313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33809.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1717314  
Old 01-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: doxilia

C
Well,

That's a very interesting back story. So presumably both Hanno and Wolfgang would continue to receive royalties from new runs of HB molds or wasn't it a life long commitment? (man, smart phones can be obtuse in their ''spell checking'')

That aside, as far as the re-production of these classics go, with the exception of the Curare and, to some extent, the Magic (a fuse top deck is available), there really isn't a source for these models to be built or flown other than some availability of plans. Because of this, my vote would go to a new production run of the rarer Thunderbird, Super Curare and, mostly, the Arrow. Not much has been done toward the preservation of Matt's classic designs - as far as I know...

At an attractive price, a glass Arrow would be very hard to pass up.

Question: did anyone else have rights to Matt's Arrow - for example, Quality Line kits out of Tucson, AZ? What about copies such as the Arcomaster (second picture)? Any memories Chip?

Some related images for the thread...

David
I know several companies MK included produced both Prettner and Matt designs. I do not know alot about the agreements each had with individual companies but I do know this. Every company I have ever known of that either produced his planes or used his name paid him good money even by todays standards. Tom Takamatsui from EZ once told me it cost them $25,000 for Hanno to fly the freestyle at the 88 TOC with their EZ Laser and not to even ask what it took for for him to fly the Supra Fly (87 WC) and the Supra Star (89 WC)

As for Wolfgang we were just talking about this in Columbia and he said he only wanted airplanes. As long as he didn't have to build he was happy.

I never saw a Magic fly very well but it was a cool setup with the inverted engine made possible with an s header. Don't worry about not being able to get headers I saw a whole box of new ones at the barn. The Thunderbird came in at the end of an era (82 or 83) I believe and I only have seen one fly a few times. I think it would be a pretty good flying plane espesially with todays equipment.

Anyhow I will be stopping at the barn tomorrow and try to snap a few pics to post.

C

Old 01-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Passport1

Pics from today and the kits will be $160.00 Please keep in mind these fuses are 25 years old the new ones won't be yellow. Curare, Arrow, Super Curare, Thunderbird and Joker are shown. I am leaving for Yuma right now but I will add more later on.

C

Name:	Ge95455.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1717695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54148.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1717696  
Old 01-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

Chip which ones are your choices?

Tim
Old 01-23-2012, 06:59 PM
countilaw

I hope the T-Bird is one of the first. I will really jump on one.

Frank Cox

Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 PM
doxilia

Excellent news Chip! Will there be a set of plywood for what's needed in each kit?

That Arrow sure looks nice...

Looking forward to further pics.

David.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 PM
stuntflyr

Arrow, nice looking Classic.
So, In Chip's pictures, on the left is from the top I'm guessing, Super Curare, Arrow, Thunderbird and a Spitfire? The picture on the right is a Curare?
Chris...
Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 PM
doxilia

Dang straight Chris!

The Arrow is like a Deception on steroids - massive and mean...[8D]

Here's a very nice rendition of one - cool paint scheme too! It just needs a RE Webra and a pipe...

David.

Name:	Ki18108.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1717781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62924.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1717782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75849.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1717783  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.