Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Anybody interested in a NEW YS shortstroke? New, as in produced this year...

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Anybody interested in a NEW YS shortstroke? New, as in produced this year...

Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anybody interested in a NEW YS shortstroke? New, as in produced this year...

Will,

With this low of a number being produced...... what would parts availability be then? I understand the drive behind this engine and the reason for it. I would just hate to buy a new engine and 1 year later something happens with very little to no parts support. I understand that we are in this exact predicament with the older engines.... But there were how many hundereds made so parts are still out there. Just thinking outside the box on this.

Food for thought: Now if YS would remake 100 piston/liner sets with a better rod for the old FR I think you would have a 99.9% guarantee that those would sell in a heart beat..... I know... wishful thinking...[&o]

Mark
Old 02-15-2012, 12:39 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody interested in a NEW YS shortstroke? New, as in produced this year...

its not a big issue, the castings dies for the the longstroke are current, the only new stuff is the cnc files to cut pistons and new rods, and sleeves, rather simple issues for new parts, a digital file versus dies for castings..... its exciting times that ballistic planes and engines are making a resurgence.. a ballistic renaissance even!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:46 AM
cap102

Will,
...and can you also chat with somebody to talk to OS to have some RFs or even Hannos be made...??
There should be some interest in this all around the world i guess.

Achim
Old 02-15-2012, 03:16 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: cap102

Will,
...and can you also chat with somebody to talk to OS to have some RFs or even Hannos be made...??
There should be some interest in this all around the world i guess.

Achim
We've brought that up several times in the past with the folks at Tower/Hobbico, and the answer was always that it wasn't
something OS was interested in...maybe with YS getting involved the answer may change.

Will, I would take one or two of YS short strokes if they are in the $300 ballpark. Now we just need Hatori to make pipes and headers readily available again!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:24 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Hmmmmm, chicken or egg? . . . . If guys don't buy the engines, they won't make the parts. If they don't make the parts, there will be no engines . . .
Sometimes you just gotta jump . . .
ORIGINAL: impactiq

Will,

With this low of a number being produced...... what would parts availability be then? I understand the drive behind this engine and the reason for it. I would just hate to buy a new engine and 1 year later something happens with very little to no parts support. I understand that we are in this exact predicament with the older engines.... But there were how many hundereds made so parts are still out there. Just thinking outside the box on this.

Food for thought: Now if YS would remake 100 piston/liner sets with a better rod for the old FR I think you would have a 99.9% guarantee that those would sell in a heart beat..... I know... wishful thinking...[&o]

Mark
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM
zedad71
My Feedback: (1)

Keep us posted please, I have a couple projects in mind that this would be perfect for,,
Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 AM
bcfhigdon
My Feedback: (5)

I'll buy one.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

ys 60 best short stroke ever
Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 AM
richard2610

Willy,

Yes I want one, if you allow purchase for overseas buyer. I live in Bali, Indonesia.
Have almost complete an MK Cosmos 60 and would love to have a YS pulling it.

Regards
Richard
Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

Why bother with an engine with such a short production run? You don't need them anyway. You can buy all you need from Jett if well healed, and Fox if not.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 500 to 1000 flights is required to need bearings. How much for a piston and liner?
I 've flown 20 gallons through an OS 46 AX and see no need to do anything to it, so I wonder if the need for parts is somehow over stated.
Anyone flown their Classic so much lately!? You know, enough to really warrant replacement parts?
Chris...
Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

I may have a connection for the OS...

Will check on lay overs...

scott
Old 02-15-2012, 11:15 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: vinnyjet

ys 60 best short stroke ever
I think is true too. One could run it fast or slow with load and pipe setting. Not as true with the long strokes.

Which makes me wonder...If what Will sez is true, YS is gonna mess with a winning recipe yet again and get the adoring public to figure it out as they have done time and again with their 4 cycles.

Gotta admire YS Marketing strategies. Introducing a half baked solution every 6-12 months and having folks figger them out as they go. It should be taught in Business school as Marketing 101
Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

They just follow the Microsoft Business Strategy.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: JeffH

They just follow the Microsoft Business Strategy.

Well, no. If it was, they'd charge $600, it'd barely make more power than an OS .40LA, and would be made out of depleted uranium for no apparent reason.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:35 PM
zedad71
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

I think 500 to 1000 flights is required to need bearings. How much for a piston and liner?
I 've flown 20 gallons through an OS 46 AX and see no need to do anything to it, so I wonder if the need for parts is somehow over stated.
Anyone flown their Classic so much lately!? You know, enough to really warrant replacement parts?
Chris...
Chris,, yeah I have flown my Kaos enough to need spares,,,, I need a spare wing,, fuse, and reciever,, [:@]
Old 02-15-2012, 02:15 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot
Why bother with an engine with such a short production run?
Perhaps you've never owned/operated a YS engine...?

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot
You don't need them anyway. You can buy all you need from Jett if well healed, and Fox if not.
Well, actually some designs (typically the ones with inverted RE piped setups) are better off using pumped engines. While it is possible to pump a non pumped engine, there are no substitutes for the integrated concept of the pumped "super charged" YS engine. Jett's are very nice engines but cost about twice as much as any other engine ever did for these classics. They are also un-pumped. I don't know of anyone now or back in the day during the 80's that ever used a Fox engine on a pattern plane.

David
Old 02-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

OK I'll pop for one.

Gene
Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Dave Harmon

Not me.....I'm stickin with the original game plan....Rossi/AXE and NovaRossi/REX.
PM me if you want a YS LS.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 PM
ironman597
My Feedback: (10)

I know Paul has a list of people looking for these from last year. I am in for 2 of these motors. The same I had on Pauls list. If they make the 100 how do I make sure I get 2. My Aurora 60 and the Aurora 60 I am building from scratch both need them.

Steve
Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Steve,
and anybody that really wants one needs to call Rich Verano at YSUSand get on his list.

ORIGINAL: ironman597

I know Paul has a list of people looking for these from last year. I am in for 2 of these motors. The same I had on Pauls list. If they make the 100 how do I make sure I get 2. My Aurora 60 and the Aurora 60 I am building from scratch both need them.

Steve
Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

As Dave says the NovaRossi/Rex is another great engine and in production for 219 at
http://www.planethobby.com/home.php?cat=29

We are starting to have choices!

ORIGINAL: Dave Harmon

Not me.....I'm stickin with the original game plan....Rossi/AXE and NovaRossi/REX.
PM me if you want a YS LS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45166.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1727546  
Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 PM
stuntflyr

ORIGINAL: zedad71

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Chris...
Chris,, yeah I have flown my Kaos enough to need spares,,,, I need a spare wing,, fuse, and reciever,, [:@]
That's FUNNY! I gave my Kaos to my son because I totalled his Speed Air, nothing survived, not even the rx!
Chris...

Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sorry, maybe when they fix RC universe these double postings will stop!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

While it is possible to pump a non pumped engine, there are no substitutes for the integrated concept of the pumped "super charged" YS engine.
The two strokes were not supercharged.  While the YS engines were good, I think the OS and SuperTigers were more powerful.  While the Fox engines of the day were not popular for pattern because of the carb, those today are better than many of the earlier pattern engines.  Actually you saw a few Fox's mostly in the lower class's.  You never saw EVO, ASP, Magnum, TT, and never saw four strokes either.  And of course let's not forget electric power.  All are used on today's classic pattern planes.  So to say that you didn't use Fox engines in the day is a very poor reason not to use one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.