Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dirty Birdy 40 - Laser Kit

Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Dirty Birdy 40 - Laser Kit

Come to think of it, the PO moved those kits at lightning speed!

I'm putting a YS 45 in mine too but I've considered other engines. The fuse plans actually show the backplate bolt to drive washer distance for some typical 40-45 size engines. Most engines should fit in a Dave Brown 4650 mount. I always liked BHE glass mounts but unfortunately they are no longer made.

Here's a list of some engines that might do nicely:
[ul][*] YS 45 FS[*] OS 46 SF (-P)[*] OS 46 FX[*] Rossi 40[*] Rossi 45[*] ST S40-45[*] Webra 40 Speed[*] Webra 50 Speed/GT[*] MVVS 6.5 - 8.0 GFS/R
[/ul]
These are the main Japanese and European engines but there are also the Asian imports (Magnum, TT, etc.) and American engines such as Jett's and K&B 40 and 48's. I think only the 48's are still being manufactured. Rossi is selling the 45 for about the same as a 55 AX. The current production is very nice just like in the old days but slightly more refined.

Retracts is one of those things where one has to first decide whether to go electric, pneumatic or mechanical. Mine is being built with "experimental" electrics in it.

David
Old 05-10-2013, 03:10 PM
doxilia

I just wanted to take another opportunity to thank everyone for their nice comments on the kits. I'm glad to hear that you all are happy with them. This alone makes the effort and time invested in the development and kitting worthwhile. I look forward to seeing some build pictures in the near future.

I've been rather tied up with work lately so I haven't managed to get the documents I mentioned earlier finished up and sent to you all. I should have some time soon and I'll email and/or post them on the forum threads (here and RCG).

To those who recently sent me PM's on the kits, please check your forum and email in-boxes.

Thanks again, David
Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 PM
doxilia

I will be finishing those documents tomorrow that I promised. Work has kept me at bay from the fun stuff!

Anyone figured the parts out already and gotten their build underway?

David
Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 AM
doxilia

One thing's for sure... time flies almost better than classics!

All kit builders, my apologies for the delay with these documents - here they are.

The first PDF is the laser kit parts list with the same key etched on to the laser cut parts. Items in roman numerals denote balsa that is to be supplied by the builder (standard sheet and stick stock mostly).

The second is a brief PDF of the equipment and hardware needed to complete the build. Not rocket science for us classic builders but hopefully of some help nonetheless.

I look forward to seeing some build pictures! Anyone out there gotten a start?

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Nl30350.pdf (111.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: pdf
Id95719.pdf (112.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 PM
doxilia

Just a quick update with a concern that just came up:

If anyone ordered or wanted a kit and either didn't get one or hasn't heard back from me or otherwise was left on the sidelines, please do send me a PM letting me know. I just got word from a fellow modeller who ordered a kit and unfortunately his order slipped between the cracks. I trust this is an isolated case which is being taken care of but I just want to make sure no one else was in the same predicament.

If anyone has gotten their build underway, once again, I'm sure we'd all like to see your progress. Also, if anyone has any questions regarding the builds, please do fire away as this thread is here to answer all of those questions.

Thanks again for your continued support and I look forward to hearing more from those who are building these great smaller pattern classics!

Cheers, David
Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 AM
doxilia

A quick bump to the thread to let any one interested know that I am currently taking orders for the Dirty Birdy 40 kit. I will probably take orders for another week or so after which I'll proceed to have the kits cut.

If you would like a kit, please send me an email through the RCU email system (or a PM if needed) with your full name, address, phone number and email address. I'll reply with info on the kit.

If you have been waiting to get your hands on one of these 40 size classics, this is the time!

Many thanks, David
Old 07-11-2014, 01:03 PM
doxilia

This thread has been somewhat dormant as much traffic on the subject has gone through RCG due to site issues here.

However, I just wanted to let those who may be interested know that:

I have one or maybe two kits left from the latest run and they are ready to ship!

The new kit box has a flip top for convenience (House of Balsa kit style) and is very compact so shipping is quite reasonable.

If interested please send me a PM with your full name and email address and I'll reply with details.

Thanks, David
Old 12-11-2015, 07:36 AM
n611jb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello David:
What color of Green is it and brand of paint you used?
Is your canopy fiberglass or plastic?
How did you do your wing fillet's??
Thank you for your time
Jack
Old 12-11-2015, 09:47 AM
doxilia

Originally Posted by n611jb
Hello David:
What color of Green is it and brand of paint you used?
Is your canopy fiberglass or plastic?
How did you do your wing fillet's??
Thank you for your time
Jack
Hi Jack,

I believe you might've referring to a DB that was built and painted by Don not me. It was built from an original BHE DB40 kit and they came with PET transparent canopies (which are available through park flyer plastics). Painting a clear canopy is not difficult one just has to use care in making sure it is well scuffed and primed and that the paint used won't dissolve it.

i can't recall what auto paint Don used but probably acrylic urethane based. Wing fillets are all over this forum as well as the sister RCG forum. There are a few different techniques.

David