Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gasket Materal

Since parts for older engines become harder and harder to find does anybody know either the thickness for GASKET material on lets say an OS .61 Hanno or YS .61 Long or short stroke or what type of material can be used to replace the original gasket.

Thanks Pat
    Lasercut USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Gasket Materal

Lots of modern engines don't use gaskets for backplates and the like. YS did use paper gaskets for the regulator housing; thicker than typing/copy paper, more like manila folder paper.

On the rare times that I need to have a gasket for a back plate, or such, I make it from a sheet of typing or copy paper; could use a piece of "heavy duty" aluminum foil.

Jim
    Jim Oliver
    Revver Brother No. 51

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jim Oliver

Lots of modern engines don't use gaskets for backplates and the like. YS did use paper gaskets for the regulator housing; thicker than typing/copy paper, more like manila folder paper.

On the rare times that I need to have a gasket for a back plate, or such, I make it from a sheet of typing or copy paper; could use a piece of ''heavy duty'' aluminum foil.

Jim
    Not an expert by any stretch, but as Jim says, I've used the "manila folder" thickness paper successfully for backplates quite often. The "Renew your Subscription" inserts stapled into many magazines are my gasket material. Also, I'll lightly coat my fingers in wheel bearing grease and put as little as possible on the gasket prior to installing (ie, wipe it all off). Makes me feel better about the gasket, but also makes removal later a little easier.

Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As far as the answer to the orginal question, I went and got out a 61SF-RF gasket kit and with my calipers measured the the back cover gasket at about 0.25mm. I next measured some used gaskets and it appears they squish down to 0.15mm.

I also use the vanilla envelopes, playing cards, cereal box cardboard.

What ever i use i always make sure to coat the gasket with some type of oil to make the engine easy to disassemble if needed.

Bryan

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As of last year YS Parts still sold gaskets for the 61.
    UltraSport Brotherhood #17

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Loctite makes a gasket eliminator 515 sealant, part #51517. Fills gaps to .010 inches. Cures in 1 to 8 hours. I've used in in place of paper gaskets that are no longer available. It's also a strong adheasive, so don't go overboard with the application. I had a back plate that was almost impossibe to remove because of the excess sealant that got between the backplate and crankcase.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have used index card stock to make gaskets and have had good results