Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dirty Birdy ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dirty Birdy ARF

Here are pictures of the Fuji 16 oz water bottle in my Dirty Birdy. It is a tight fit but I believe it will work if the Hayes 16 oz tank doesn't fit. I show it slide in to the front former or slide back if you have a pump. There would be room for the fuel fittings since the bottle neck and cap would hold the bottle back from the bulkhead. The tank touches the fiberglass fuselage and would need some protection like thin foam or something to keep the rough fiberglass from wearing a hole in the tank.

I am not going to try this until I get the Hayes tank to see if it will work better.

Ralph White
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17736.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1757291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97644.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1757292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74879.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1757293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34213.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1757294  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said in my post, there have been recommendations to try to isolate the nose gear from vibration by mounting them using servo grommets or something similar. The P-7 was designed to use air retracts and when the larger E-Flite electric gear came out some, myself included, decided to use them in the Phoenix. I've used a lot of the E-Flite retracts in other models, all electric powered, and I've never had any trouble with them. It's just the vibration environment combined with the fuel and oil that usually gets all over the nose in these classic pattern models is just not a good environment. Even the best air or mechanical retracts that have been made over the years would get pretty sloppy on the nose gear. The new Dave Brown nose gear I put in to replace the E-Flite had a couple of parts vibrate loose and the bushings are already loose in the side frames. I've had to do some gluing using CA to keep that gear from getting sloppy. And over the years it was generally thought to be the best nose gear you could use.

Just trying to get out some info to help those building and flying these classic models. Maybe Goldberg will start selling their retracts again!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ralph,

Looks doable - thanks for the pics. The Hayes ought to be a little flatter but I don't know if wider. That might be the limiting factor, the width. I posted dimensions a few posts back, you could check against the width of the Fuji bottle which I assume is square.

Does that water bottle plastic actually hold up to glow fuel!? Alcohol and oil I guess are fairly inert but what about nitromethane?

David
Old 05-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Free Bird

What? You may be sincere my friend, but you are sincerely wrong. The below pics are my O.S. .65AX turning 14,900 most certainly with a pipe. (15% Cool Power, 11/7 APC, Mac's Quiet Pipe/Ex long header).

And yes, I have flight time on it. Not only does the engine respond very nicely to the pipe, but has a great mid range performance as well. I can throttle back to 3/4 for cruise and it does not drop off of the pipe. Mucho power AND a nice powerband. What else can you ask for?

BTW, since breaking in, the same setup now peaks at 15,100RPM. It just keeps getting better.

-Robert
Great info Robert, thanks for the post. What's the length of the header? TIA!

FB
Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 AM
Free Bird

Ralph,

Looks doable - thanks for the pics. The Hayes ought to be a little flatter but I don't know if wider. That might be the limiting factor, the width. I posted dimensions a few posts back, you could check against the width of the Fuji bottle which I assume is square.

Does that water bottle plastic actually hold up to glow fuel!? Alcohol and oil I guess are fairly inert but what about nitromethane?

David
David,

The gas guys have been using Fuji water bottles for a while now without issues. There's a couple of companies that are making cap fittings for them, I don't recall who at the moment. Also, there's a company out there - Fortitude (spelling??) that's selling complete tanks in various sizes. Info can be found over at F-L-Y-I-N-G-G-I-A-N-T-S.com

FB
Old 05-01-2012, 03:21 AM
Free Bird

As I said in my post, there have been recommendations to try to isolate the nose gear from vibration by mounting them using servo grommets or something similar. The P-7 was designed to use air retracts and when the larger E-Flite electric gear came out some, myself included, decided to use them in the Phoenix. I've used a lot of the E-Flite retracts in other models, all electric powered, and I've never had any trouble with them. It's just the vibration environment combined with the fuel and oil that usually gets all over the nose in these classic pattern models is just not a good environment. Even the best air or mechanical retracts that have been made over the years would get pretty sloppy on the nose gear. The new Dave Brown nose gear I put in to replace the E-Flite had a couple of parts vibrate loose and the bushings are already loose in the side frames. I've had to do some gluing using CA to keep that gear from getting sloppy. And over the years it was generally thought to be the best nose gear you could use.
Tony,

I've had the same issues in my P7 with the Eflite retracts. I've just installed a new set, but the nose gear wires still need extra goop where they exit the motor housing to prevent them from breaking off. I've got a dozen flight on them and so far, so good. I like the idea of a little vibration isolation, how could this be acomplished and still have a secure nose unit? For my DB, I'm installing the recommended mechanical retracts, shouldn't have to worry about them (hopefully).

FB
Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

What about mounting the retract with a sheet of thin rubber between the gear and the firewall? Cut up an intertube, or find some hard, relative to silicone fuel line, silicone sheet.
Weren't the old Kraft Multicon gear mounted with doulble sided foam tape inside that large, plastic gear mount box on the nose gear?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Ralph White
WOW ! ! ! Just received my Great Planes Dirty Birdy. All I can say about the ARF is that the quality is exceptional. I have found nothing that needs criticized. It appears to be a very fast and easy assembly. I hope to have it flying by next weekend. Plan on installing my OS RF Rear Exhaust with pump/tuned pipe and E-flite Electric Retract. Plan to build it stock except maybe shorting the nose cowl to original length and a larger fuel tank.
Ralph White
Hey Ralph, Hope all is well; are you planning on having the DB up at Rusty's too or are you flying the Saturn? My DB arrived yesterday. A few creases in the outer box had me concerned but upon inspection there was no damage. I'm pretty impressed with the GPMA DB overall. The paint looks great on the fuse, the covering has a few wrinkles, mostly on the bottom (no biggie). My only gripe is the ailerons on both wing halvesarewarped, enough to easily measure and cause trim problems. This is one area where I'd rather install the control surfaces myself instead of them being pre-hinged. I know there are ways to work the warps out, it's just a pain for me (so any ideas or methods you guys have post em here!). The rudder and elevators are near perfect; the stab tips T.E.'s are angled slightly but shouldn't be a factor. The canopy area is a bit on the thin side (a tad flexy) so I'll ad some thin epoxy and carbon tow there I think. Other than that, I think I'd have to give the DB a solid 8.5 in terms of my overall satisfaction with the quality etc.(with ARFs, a 9 is probably a 10). For grins I'll compare it to the wood kit this weekend at my other buildshop. I don't see any issue with mountingthe engine vertically andwill likely use a side exhaust Rossi/pipe set-up. I'm looking at using a 12 oz shampoo bottle for a tank; I may try a 14 oz but 12 oz has seem plenty thus far. Probably won't start on this until after mid summer though. Keep the info coming.
Mark
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark,
Long balsa strip ailerons always bothered me because they either warp from covering are are too soft and flexable. The quick fix for the DB would be to cut a full length slot half-span of the aileron and insert a carbon fiber strip vertically. Lay it on a flat table to un-warp it, then hit it with some thin CA.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:04 AM
somiss1
My Feedback: (5)

Tony, I agree! Bring back Goldberg Retracts! Dirt cheap and worked all the time once set up correctly. I would now use two retract servos instead of that long rod to the nosegear.
Frank
Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 AM
hook57

ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
Mark,
Long balsa strip ailerons always bothered me because they either warp from covering are are too soft and flexable. The quick fix for the DB would be to cut a full length slot half-span of the aileron and insert a carbon fiber strip vertically. Lay it on a flat table to un-warp it, then hit it with some thin CA.
Jeff,
Regarding the balsa strips I doagree. But, your fix is a great idea and easily covered over. I'll need to try that fix on the P-7 too. Since the DB won't be on the bench for a few months I'll definitely try that out (what size carbon stripwould you recommend?)
Mark
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXARXB&P=0

This is a pair of .02 x 0.12 x 39.4" Carbon Fiber Solid Strips from ElectriFly.

FEATURES: Many uses for general craft, building and architectural projects
Adheres to a wide variety of materials including ProFormance foam
and Revell woods
Unfinished black matte

INCLUDES: Two Carbon Fiber Solid Strips

SPECS: Length: 39.4" (1000mm)
Width: 0.12" (3mm)
Thickness: .02" (0.5mm)

$8.49
Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 AM
hook57

Got it (will get it). That will be the method I use to straighten the ailerons, much thanks Jeff.
Mark
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Ralph,

David
Dave and all,

The polyester water bottles hold up fine to glow fuel. I have a source for larger mouthed polyester tanks as well that are actually a little narrower than the Fiji water bottles. These are quite inexpensive, about 3$ for a 16 oz square tank and much lighter than the typical plastic we are familiar with. Mouth diameter is 1 1/2" which makes installation of the plastic fittings I sell (or metal fittings you can source from Central Hobbies (much more pricy)) a cinch.

Here are a couple photos and PM me if interested

Name:	Rp44985.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1757378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59613.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	1757379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92599.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	1757380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24315.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	1757381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv16265.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	1757382  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 AM
KLXMASTER14

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

What? You may be sincere my friend, but you are sincerely wrong. The below pics are my O.S. .65AX turning 14,900 most certainly with a pipe. (15% Cool Power, 11/7 APC, Mac's Quiet Pipe/Ex long header).

And yes, I have flight time on it. Not only does the engine respond very nicely to the pipe, but has a great mid range performance as well. I can throttle back to 3/4 for cruise and it does not drop off of the pipe. Mucho power AND a nice powerband. What else can you ask for?

BTW, since breaking in, the same setup now peaks at 15,100RPM. It just keeps getting better.

-Robert

FB
FB,
I will have to take a measurement, and get back to you.
-Robert
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: KLXMASTER14

-Robert

FB
FB,
-Robert

what i should have said is the timing on the 65 AX isnt optimized for a tuned pipe. for the stock timing by the numbers should be run on a prop with more load. The 11x7 is a small load and that is what we run on the 55AX with Jett mufflers.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM
kochj

-Robert
Yes.... Power to the PIPE!....
Flip side....I have a os 1.20 AX with muffled macs, and it gave me fits....although made INCREDIBLE.. power...
I believe it was having issues with heat....

Also...That one piece fuse/cowl looks really sleeeeek!...
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
daggets

it s even better than my ys 60.... surprising, ideed!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 AM
KLXMASTER14

ORIGINAL: airraptor

-Robert

FB
FB,
-Robert

what i should have said is the timing on the 65 AX isnt optimized for a tuned pipe. for the stock timing by the numbers should be run on a prop with more load. The 11x7 is a small load and that is what we run on the 55AX with Jett mufflers.
AOL keyword= Optimized. Gotcha. And you are right, it does need more load. Should be interesting as experimentation continues.
-Robert
Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: kochj

-Robert
Yes.... Power to the PIPE!....
Flip side....I have a os 1.20 AX with muffled macs, and it gave me fits....although made INCREDIBLE.. power...
I believe it was having issues with heat....

Also...That one piece fuse/cowl looks really sleeeeek!...

Kochj i been through the OS 120AX a bunch and i know what works and doesnt. shoot me a PM if want to know ins and outs to make it perform well.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

I'm loving getting mine ready to go. It's got a Rossi 60 with tuned pipe thatll be a real treat to watch...and hear .
Most guys into this stuff are 40 year old plus types, I sure as heck am. However, this electric bashing just for one example makes one come across as they are, clueless. A clueless person who doesn't know what he's talking about.
Electrics have their negatives, just as glow engines do, but constant zingers about something by someone clueless about what they're trying to criticize gets tiresome.
Why not let it go and post on something you do know about, maybe the obvious improvement of your glow powered ED pump over an electric one for instance.
Hey, it'd last forever, right ?
Just take me now Jesus Doug
Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 AM
rogera

Mine arrived yesterday and looks great. A few wrinkles on the covering on the Rudder and Ailerons, a few minutes with the iron and they will be gone. Considering the journey the kit has had already - China to the USA and then to Dubai, the box survived remarkably well as contents were all in the same taped position. Need to finish the plane on the work bench first before assembling the DB. Think I will still go the electric retract route and use some 1.5mm to 2mm EPDM sheet for cushioning as per a previous post. Hope to see some flying reviews soon. Safe Landings, Roger.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 AM
ChiefK

I was initially concerned about the length of the cowl.... on trial fit, this is where the Webra Speed .61 needs to be mounted in order to put the face of the drive washer at 4 5/8" as specified in the user manual... as you can see, there is no real need to shorten the cowl.

ChiefK

Name:	Vs55888.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1757849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60617.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1757850  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Greg,

No doubt. GP made it longer to fit the engines and provide a longer nose area for retract and tank. I just don't get why they'd plan for a 9 oz tank!@?

How do you like the TN2 vs the Dynamix?

David
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 AM
ChiefK

David,

I like the TN2 a lot. Much better than the older Webra carb. Only gripe is that the throttle arm doesn't stick out enough. The Dynamix is still brand new 2 me. Have one - never used it. Saw some comments in RCU that the Dynamix is delicate and requires a lot of tinkering, and a few comments that it is super. So, the answer is ??????. The linkage on the Dynamix does look complex and fragile.

Regards the tank... I've got 11 oz. in mine. I think it will be good enough.

Greg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.