Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Dirty Birdy ARF

Well Fella's,

I thought I could keep myself from buying one, but when I walked into the LHS this afternoon and saw one in the box, I couldn't help myself........ Anyway, power for mine is going to be my YS60 with Hatori pipe.

Hey JAS, when are your retracts going to be available? Did you have a chance to try them for fit in your ARF?

It's going to be a while before I get around to building my DB. I have a few other projects in the que before this one comes up which is a good thing. That way you guys can work out all of the bugs and I can learn from what you did. I'm going to go put the box away now so I will quit drooling all over it........................

David
    Fly Safe and Have Fun ! ! !
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys;
    Well my D.B. is done and I hope to maiden her tomorrow I went with a Evo .61 with stock muffler for now, but it will get pipe!! I did go with the two elevator servo set and still had room for the other servos. As you can see, I did cover the ailerons servos These cover came from a Great Plane Seawind that I had. Now to see if it take me back to the mid 70's when I had one. Stay tune for the flight report!!!
    HAve a great weekend everyone!!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37822.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	1761608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt60432.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	1761609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf99957.jpg 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	1761610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg15691.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	1761611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec88066.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	1761612  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy77965.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	1761613  
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Sonny,

Great looking DB. I like the servo covers too..... Can't wait to read your flight report. Good luck..............

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like it! Now if only I could get one to land in EU! []
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We are hoping to have them by mid-June, but will keep everyone posted. They will drop in with only one slight mod, in the wings, needing a couple of grooves in the rails. Bottom of page 15 shows the mains, and just realized I never posted the nose gear.

Name:	Mk25518.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	1761902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23057.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	1761903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz68051.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	1761904  
    Uncle JAS x 2
    Shulman Aviation
    jasonshangar.weebly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JAS,

Thanks for the update. I appreciate it.

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys;
    Well here is the flight report from today maiden flight of my D.B.!!!
    I just love it!!!! Everyone in my club knew what it was when I pull it out of my SUv!! My club pres was my friend all day because he want to fly it!!! He had three of them back in the days and was happy to see it come back. My D.B. was the last two flight of the day. My club like maiden at the end of the day so everyone will be watching. On to the flight report. After last min check, I fill the tank and crank the engine. After doing a range check with the engine runing, ( 2.4 gig, but I still do a range check ), Check out how it feel on the ground and it good as the one I had in the mid-70's. Came back to the pits to top of the fuel, re-start the engine. last control check, and out it went to the start of the runway. Line up and add power. A touch of rudder to keep her on the center line, and a touch of up and she was off. I left the gears down for the first flight. She flew hands off on the first downwind and I was shock. The rolls was like she was on a rail, the big loops are very good, slow flight are good. I did not do a stall test because the sun was in my eyes. The lands can be hot, but if you have wind on the nose, she do slow down and land slow.
    My maiden spec:
    Weight dry 8.6lbs
    CG As Per manual
    Controls As per manual
    Stock tank
    EVO .61 with stock muffler
    Fuel Cool Power 15% heli-mix
    Radio JR 9303 2.4 gig
    This is a keeper and you will enjoy it.
    Oh yea, the club pres did get his hands on it and I had a hard time getting it back!!!
    I know I will see more at the field soon!!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great that the test flight went well. Looking forward to more reports before I get mine in the air. Have to finish off the ESM Hurricane 82" first.

Bought the e-flite electric retracts (60 - 120 size) for mine and am sure they will be fine for the aircraft. I always remember how well the 40 size version flew and now looks as though the 60 re-incarnation is as good if not better. Could not afford the "big" one back in the late 70's / early 80's and now have, at last, the chance to fly its big brother.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are a lot of different sizes for these available, and apparently there's a lot of different people re-badging/re-naming them for re-sale too. They should look familiar :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PZ-15094-Lar...item27c3d1dac2
    It's free enterprise though, so go at it .
    Very tempting for the price.
    I went for the E-Flite 3 gear ones after sending a couple e-mails around and getting no response. Don't you hate that ?
    Anyway, those E-Flights have amazed me with the ease of installation, ultra-smooth and dependable operation, and most of all with their standing up to my landings . Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone here know what to do with the fuel pump on the OS .61 RF when I am not going to use the pump because it is bad? I am going to use a Perry Pump. Can I remove the OS pump from the backplate? It appears the back plate on my old OS 60 SF might fit. Would it work to replace the OS .61 RF with the OS 60 SF backplate?

Ralph White
    Original AMA # 5646
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood # 26

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ralph White

Does anyone here know what to do with the fuel pump on the OS .61 RF when I am not going to use the pump because it is bad? I am going to use a Perry Pump. Can I remove the OS pump from the backplate? It appears the back plate on my old OS 60 SF might fit. Would it work to replace the OS .61 RF with the OS 60 SF backplate?

Ralph White
    Ralph,
    I think it will be okay. If the backplate fit and have a good seal, drop it in the test stand and see how it run. I had a OS 91SZ-H heli engine to eat both bearing. I order a new case and found out that the engine I had, OS did not make anymore. Now I did not want to buy the new engine, so I drop in the new bearings, the other parts from the old engine in the new case. Everything fit but the old carburetor. Replace the old carb with the new and now I have ran 2 gallon of fuel through it!!
    Let us know how it goes!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It may be worth it to get your original pump working. There's not much to those things.Be sure that's the problem and it's not the carburetor.
    Perry Pumps have been around a long time and there are a lot of useful things they can do. What the two pumps do and how they do it though are not identical.
    Also the SF carbs and pumps were very carefully matched, had extraordinary handling qualities and performance,and it'd take a lot of fiddling to get anywhere near that performance with something cobbed together. Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ralph,

I tend to agree with Doug. Either get the OS pump working or just run the engine without a pump and a different carb. The pumped carb won't work without the pump. It might work with a Perry but I wouldn't bet on it.

You can't remove the pump from the BP and expect to use the BP. You can however use many SF/RF parts interchangeably including regular non-pumped BP's. Aside from the crankcase, piston and sleeve, they are the same engine. In fact, one can use many FSR/VF parts interchangeably with the SF/RF.

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ralph White

Ralph White
    Ralph,
    I have a few OS .61s at the house, one is the RF and I'm sure it's a "non" pumped engine. If you want I can pull the carb and the backplate if you think you might need it for next weekend (that is if if you and Nick are planning on coming up to the Chicagoland Classic at FVAC). I know it's a pain to have engine problems at a contest, boy do I know... "
    Mark (hook)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mark, We are coming to the Chicagoland Classic at FVAC for sure. Already have the motel reservations. I really appreciate your offer to loan us your carb and backplate. If we can't get the engine running correctly I'll send you a PM. First we are going to try a Perry pump. If that doesn't work we may go ahead and put our new NovaRossi in the Dirty Birty. If we use the NovaRossi we have to mount the 16 oz tank as far forward as possible. I believe the formers in the nose of the DB support the nose wheel retracts and don't want to remove them. The 16 oz Hayes slimline tank can be mounted so that the front of the tank is 3 inches from the firewall. I don't know if that is close enough for the NovaRossi to draw fuel or not. Of course we'll have pipe pressure to help. What do you think?

By the way I have the OPS Redhead running perfect. I discovered that the tank had a hole in the top which cause the OPS to lean out in the verticals. The seam had split a little and would only leak if the plane was inverted. I also discovered the OPS Redhead likes a little smaller prop. Now using an APC 11 x 7 instead of the Zinger 11 x 7 1/2.

I'll let you know if we need to take you up on the carb and backplate offer.

See you next weekend.

Ralph and Nick White
    Original AMA # 5646
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood # 26

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One more ready to fly....

ChiefK

Name:	Xv65271.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	1763065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj28632.jpg 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	1763066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xc80025.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	1763067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jd87061.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	1763068  
    Opinions based on thin air will always carry little weight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ChiefK;
    Looking very good!!! What size spinner you have on the nose??
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Sonny - the spinner is a 2" standard Vortec. (Same size a as the white plastic spinner included with the airplane). Unfortunately, maiden won't be until some time next week... momma has plans for this weekend!

Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The stock plastic spinner is 2-1/4". I never use plastic spinners as I've seen too many blow apart at the RPM we run these engines at, not very safe. Also a plastic spinner doesn't hold up very well to an electric starter as they tend to get chewed up and then throwing the balance off. Honestly, Great Planes could have supplied an aluminum spinner in the DB kit instead of the plastic spinner. Like ChiefK, I also used a Vortec spinner except mine is 2-1/4" in diameter and matches the diameter of the cowl perfectly. My DB is almost complete and the maiden is scheduled for next week sometime. I hate it when work gets in the way of fun! [:@]

FB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ralph, will watch for the PMs. I used a Rhom Air firewall mount in a Bootlegger years ago, had to have the tank a few inches from the firewall. I never had a fuel draw problem with that set up. I think you would be okay. Good deal on the OPS, looking forward to seeing your Saturn going vertical! Also looking forward to seeing you and Nick again.
    (This site sucks anymore doesn't it! )
    Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice Chief, very nice!
    Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK... then it's the size that matches the nose ring (didn't take it off to measure it). Totally agree with the plastic spinner comment.

ChiefK

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Mark.... got to admit that I'm a little nervous about flying this airplane. I want it to be soooooo good.

Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guys;
    Now if you want to stay with the white spinner on the D.B., Hangar 9 has a metal spinner that come with their Jackal 50 ARF. Take a look at the pictures!!! Look's like a good fit!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b

Name:	Om32508.jpg 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	1763199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm36447.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	1763200  
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

Has anyone mounted the engine upright in this DB 60 ARF?

By the way, the new Robart electric PRS 590 (for 6-12 lbs aircraft) series is up now on their homepage.
    In the Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 ARF thread it is mentioned it is available next week.

http://www.robart.com/products/prs-9...electric-mains
    http://www.robart.com/products/prs-90-deg-electric-nose
    http://www.robart.com/products/prs-w...-kit-nose-gear
    http://www.robart.com/products/38-di...ight-robostrut(if one would prefer to use such struts for main gear)

If You sum uptotal costthis Robartelectric retract solution will be expensive.
    I do not know if thiswill fit into a DB 60 ARF withoutor little modification to the plane.
    But if the gearis high quality and the nose gear can cope withthe vibration, oil and dirt in the long runthey perhaps is worth the cost.

/Bo

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast