Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dirty Birdy ARF

Old 05-23-2012, 12:57 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dirty Birdy ARF

That's a photo from when we were doing full throttle run time tests after the tune pipe test was over. Needed to find something to tie the plane to so I used the mailbox. Flying a 3M glider in the front yard was exciting enough. A DB knife edge down the street is one trick I'll let my buddy Chris attempt....
Old 05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Free Bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's mine at the field ready to go after running several tanks. OS 64AX, stock muffler, APC 11x7, Cool Power 15% and after 4 tanks it's turning an even 13k. For the moment I'm using the stock tank, and I timed an engine run and as expected it's a dismal 6 minutes. That means 5 minutes on the timer. [:@]

BTW - my DB is very nose heavy, battery (Hobbico 2S 2100 LiFe) is as far back as it can go, gonna need several ounces to bring the CG in the middle of the range. Where is everyone elses balancing?

P7, meet your new brother, DB!!
FB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83553.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1765241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42359.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	1765242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84334.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	1765243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99490.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	1765244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84168.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1765245  

Name:	Zu65672.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	1765246  
Old 05-23-2012, 02:03 PM
ChiefK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't want to look!

ChiefK
Old 05-23-2012, 05:45 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just got back from the field with my buddy Chris. All I can say is WOW! Its everything its supposed to be. Fast, smooth, locked in and precise. Huge thumbs up!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:04 PM
rogera

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can everyone please read the title of the thread, I am 100% sure it states "Dirty Birdy ARF" and not a slanging match between OS Engines. Come on guys, let's hear all about this great aircraft and what it is like to fly.

We all have engine preferences and at the end of the day we just enjoy the aircraft with whatever engine it uses.

Just my 2c worth and hope the forum gets back on track soon.

Off on a weeks holiday to the Maldives tomorrow so will catch up when I get back. Hope to see many more flight reports soon.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 AM
Skylane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The guide tube for the rudder pushrod seems to have a curve in it so that there is a fair amount of friction between the tube and the pushrod. This will affect rudder centering. Has anyone else noticed this problem? I'm considering going to a pull-pull arrangement or a standard solid pushrod. Has anyone else considered or made such modifications?

Jeff
Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeff, my buddys plane is built box stock with $15 Futaba S3004 analog servos and we havent seen any issues with rudder or elevator friction. I didn't notice any friction before the servos were attached though.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:07 AM
ChiefK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad to hear it Jeff. I'm thinking that tomorrow might be a great day to get some airtime. Swapped out my Webra Speed (metric crankshaft) for another Webra (standard 1/4" shaft) yesterday, so I won't have any further delays with the problems that created. Fixed a little issue with the throttle rubbing on the cowl. Gonna check the CG today - even though I think it's pretty close to where it should be. Also got a new K-61 (RJL) carb for my Kraft .61, Tower Kaos 60, so I think I can have some quality time and some fun with these.

Since you're so pleased with your DB, would you possibly be interested in joining me at a SPA contest in Asheville in July? (You don't have to be a member to participate)

Greg
Old 05-24-2012, 04:56 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a very short video of the DB in action on the maiden flight. Just some rolls and a high speed pass. I took this with my cell phone. Chris will have better video shortly.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO6boCcA6ak[/youtube]
Old 05-24-2012, 08:18 AM
lfinney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my fuselage had one rudder pushrod tube that was defective,i removed it and am fitting a new tube, and am fitting pull-pull cable system, the defective tube was also loose and fell out...
Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Dirty Birdy is fast with the old cross flow engines of the day when it came out. Now it is really really fast with a modern engine and pipe!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM
vertical grimmace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

Just got back from the field with my buddy Chris. All I can say is WOW! Its everything its supposed to be. Fast, smooth, locked in and precise. Huge thumbs up!
That is great to hear. So you are happy with the OS .65 ax? I am thinking of getting this engine for my Sun Fli 5. Now that I am finally getting close to finishing it.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After owning a few variants of the FX line, I was skeptical about the .65AX, but I have to say that I am impressed with it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:08 PM
hook57

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"O.S. .61FX 11.3K to 11.8K on stock mufller, 11x7 Rev-Up,using 10% home brew, was plenty fast with plenty vertical. Same O.S. .61FX in 7.5 lb H9 P-7 last season on same prop, same fuel,flew fine but could've used more rpms for stronger vertical. Same O.S. .61FX this season on same P-7 with APC 11x7, same fuel, but with Macs long header and 1062 quiet pipe is running 13.2K to 13.8K and it's on the rich side"

Apples are apples and oranges are oranges. Since a few of us plan to put the FX in our DBs the talk of engine performance is not outside the scope of the thread (rogera), but apologies to the OP if we did get off track
Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Free Bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I flew my DB this morning and it was a VERY successful outing! As I mentioned above, my DB is somewhat nose heavy and I needed 3 oz to bring the CG near the middle of the range. It's still too nose heavy for my liking and will need at least a couple more ounces.

OK, flight report: OS 65AX, APC 11x7, Cool Power 15%, stock muffler and it's turning a solid 13K. The engine is breaking in nicely as after several flights, it sounded a little rich and I limited my flights to 5 minutes (stock 8oz tank). Takeoffs from a grass field are a no brainer, just keep'er straight and add a little elevator when flying speed is reached. The Hobbico mechanical retracts worked perfectly. Trim needed was a few clicks of right aileron and several of up elevator. The speed of the DB was extremely impressive, it's almost as fast as my P7 (Evo 61NX, pipe, 11x6, Cool Power 15%, 15,500 rpm). First flight was spent trimming and getting a feel for the DB, I also did several stalls and it never fell off the wing, just dropped the nose and mushed straight ahead. Nice! The first landing was a greaser, as the DB does slow down pretty good, albeit it does take a little while cause the airframe is so clean. I'm starting with the recommended throws and ran out of elevator on the flair, moving the CG back will help that and also will help slow it down sooner on approach.

The next several flights were nothing less than very satisfying, the DB tracks very well. I flew just basic maneuvers and it did so very easily, loops tracked well and were as large as you wanted, rolls were very axial, but were just a little too fast on the recommended low rates. The recommended low rates, except aileron were too soft for my taste, again moving the CG back will help there. Surprisingly, inverted flight required very little down elevator to maintain level flight. Also, there was very, very little coupling during knife edge. And vertical with the OS 65AX is not lacking at all.

Yesterday I put in several flights on my P7 so I have a pretty good baseline for comparision. While the P7 is a great flying pattern ship, it feels just a little bit edgey compared to the DB. Speed wise it has an advantage over the DB because of the pipe. But the DB I think is a little bit smoother and gracefull than the P7. Both takeoff and land the same, and they look simply awesome doing on the deck high speed passes with the gear tucked away! Either way both are fun to fly and I'm looking forward to many fun flights on the DB!

FB
Old 05-24-2012, 04:05 PM
patternflyer76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Skylane

The guide tube for the rudder pushrod seems to have a curve in it so that there is a fair amount of friction between the tube and the pushrod. This will affect rudder centering. Has anyone else noticed this problem? I'm considering going to a pull-pull arrangement or a standard solid pushrod. Has anyone else considered or made such modifications?

Jeff
Jeff:

Once I saw the rudder tube I knew that it was not going to work out for a friction free set up as well too. I decided to go with my rudder servo mounted in the bottom outside of the fuse aft the wing, pull-pull. It has taken some grinding and modification, but it worked out fine. It also helps to balance my 6s pack out.

Kevin
Old 05-24-2012, 04:09 PM
vertical grimmace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That video was very impressive. Very fast. All the guys at my club would call it a racer!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 PM
ChiefK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thwarted again..... took the DB out for it's maiden flight today, but NO-GO due to a problem with fuel tank. Taking it out - putting it back in. Try again soon. Flew my Kaos 60 instead.

ChiefK
Old 05-27-2012, 12:13 PM
ChiefK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ChiefK

Thwarted again..... took the DB out for it's maiden flight today, but NO-GO due to a problem with fuel tank. Taking it out - putting it back in. Try again soon. Flew my Kaos 60 instead.

ChiefK
Finally got the DB into the air. First did some fuel run testing, then with 7-8 mph crosswind, taxied it out. Outstanding first flight. Very smooth, did everything I know how to do in this first flight. Slowed down for landing nicely and softly touched down right in front of me.

Balance: used 3/4oz to offset sidemounted engine, and three oz in the tail to hit the cg right on.

I love it!

ChiefK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ec87248.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	1766280   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43154.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	1766281  
Old 05-27-2012, 03:08 PM
jet22b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Free Bird,
In your flight report, you said you have the Hobbico mechanical retract in your DB, may I ask how did you get rid of the side play in the main gear?? My first flight was off of a pave runway that my club can use only two times a year, but at our grass field the plane would not taix out of the pit to the run up box. Now when the gears is down, they are lock, but still have the side play. I have check all the screws on the case to make sure they are tight and they was, but still have side play. Any info will be a big help!!
Thanks you!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 05-28-2012, 04:25 AM
Skylane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Kevin. It turned out that the pushrod tube was a bit too long, so when it was glued in at the factory it had a bend in it. I pulled it out and reglued it and it is now much better. I don't yet know how the CG will turn out, but your solution would certainly sounds like a good way to counter a forward CG.

Jeff
Old 05-28-2012, 07:35 AM
patternflyer76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pics of the home made battery tray.... A lot closer to the CG I am wanting. I can still get it in and out through the nose gear well as planned before. Better then what I thought.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ay75132.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	492.6 KB
ID:	1766697   Click image for larger version

Name:	gb90551.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	572.3 KB
ID:	1766698   Click image for larger version

Name:	ot47868.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	1766699   Click image for larger version

Name:	ex68266.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	591.1 KB
ID:	1766700   Click image for larger version

Name:	my25427.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	542.3 KB
ID:	1766701  

Old 05-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Doug47

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
BTW - my DB is very nose heavy, battery (Hobbico 2S 2100 LiFe) is as far back as it can go, gonna need several ounces to bring the CG in the middle of the range. Where is everyone elses balancing?
Mine was nose heavy too, even with the receiver battery very close to the rearmost former in the radio compartment..
I know all about 'tail heavy planes may only fly once', etc.,etc. but I never fly a new model with the c/g forward of the forward most recommendation, they fly like such pigs and don't want to slow up to land, the knife edge blows,etc..
In this case I went ahead though and flew it with the c/g about an 8th inch in front of the recommendation and the little missle flew just great, it didn't have any of the nose heavy characteristics I'd expect. Hmmm.
I'll have to move it back with a heavier receiver battery I guess, I'm certainly open to hearing anyones views on this crates c/g wise or anything.
That E-Flight electric gear continues to pleasantly suprise me. I'm not used to going home after a few flights off a grass field with a retract equipped plane with nothing to fix or adjust. Doug
P.S.-patternflyer76 you are doing a helluve job on that electric conversion, very nice work.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 AM
kochj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I actually LIKE to hear opinions from guys who have said engines, and have run them, and have something to say about it....

It is, in fact one of the Largest discusions of ANY airplane forums, asking about WHAT engine to use....
Very relevent IHOP...to the posting DB....
Old 05-30-2012, 08:33 AM
PatternPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What S and MAH pack and motor and prop for the EDB?

cpa#2

Search this Thread