Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Dirty Birdy ARF

ORIGINAL: ChiefK
    Slows down and lands quite nicely if you balance it correctly. With a Webra .61 2-stroke engine up front, mine needed 1.25oz of lead weight in the tail. Obviously more tail weight would be needed with a heavier engine.
    ChiefK
    Thanks for all of the detailedinfo Chief! I'm pretty suremy side exhaust Speed .61 does not have the factory drilled holes so the muffler strap adapter would be needed. I'll likely go two-stroke on it, no sense in buying another engine when the drawer has plenty in itto choose from. I've used Mac's mufflers before andhave always beenpleased with their performance so likely that's what I'll use. Going to start getting it ready for assembly today and hopefully maiden her in early July. Thanks again Chief.

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad to help Mark... as an update, I decided I need a little more ballast in the tail, based on how much down elevator I need when inverted. Added .25oz (total: 1.5oz) after todays flying. We'll see how that works next week.

ChiefK
    Opinions based on thin air will always carry little weight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am really close to test flying this thing. Some pics of my pull pull rudder modification to the belly of the craft. I just have to lock tight every thing and I will be ready to try it out this Sunday!!!!

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	us53712.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	776.8 KB 
ID:	1771292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rm37362.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	1771293   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ej13435.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	898.7 KB 
ID:	1771294   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pi16395.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	1771295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	al70784.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	1771296  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ev23647.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	1771297  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kevin, curious why you run the pull pull on the outside of the fuse? Also, I think I read earlier that you are going to use 6s battery? What is your all up weight? I am anxious to hear how this goes. I just finished an electric Kaos and would like to try this dirty birdy next.

Dale

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I simply did not want to try and fit a servo behind the tray I made for the elevator servo to get center line geometry. Also I knew the rudder servo had to go aft my CG point with the battery slightly forward of the CG. This is where it ended up balancing out. With the tri-gear I should not have to worry about a snag unless the grass gets really long. The wire is coated and protected. Also the pull-pull is in-line now with the rudder. If inside the the fuse I would have been at a large angle up to the rudder horn per the stock placement of the horns.

All up weight last measured with everything in is 7.62 pounds.....

Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kevin;
    Can not wait to hear your flight report!!! A video will be sweet too!!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52
    Great Planes Citabria DLE 35RA CC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I decided to put cooling holes in to vent the batteries after some ground testing.

Kevin

Name:	nl28873.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	1772562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ws56708.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	1772563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mr40199.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	1772564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ex68794.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	1772565  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kevin;
    Your DB is looking good!!! Can't wait to hear your flight report!! Oh well, my DB is packed in the suv for a fun day of flying1
    Just hung the sgin on the workshop door, " Gone Flying "!!!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have really enjoyed reading through this thread and feeling the enthusiasm for this aircraft. I always wanted one way back when but did not believe I had the building talent to get it right so I never built one. I did build a Sig King Kobra and flew it for many years and love the way a pattern type airplane flies. I still have the motor and retracts from the King Kobra. I just got the DB ARF and starting installing my old YS-60 and Spring Air retracts. I will be installing a 16oz tank right in front of the servo tray as the YS does like its fuel. I can’t wait to see this plane low and fast right down the middle of the runway – woopee!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Cobra,

I'm glad someone else is putting a YS 2 stroke in their DB. Is yours a FS or FR? I'm going to put a 60FS in mine, and it should really haul the mail. Would you be so kind to add a few pics of your motor and pipe installation? I would greatly appreciate it .......

Thanks
    David
    Fly Safe and Have Fun ! ! !
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad to help Mark... as an update, I decided I need a little more ballast in the tail, based on how much down elevator I need when inverted. Added .25oz (total: 1.5oz) after todays flying. We'll see how that works next week.

ChiefK
    I'm up to 2oz of weight at the tail now, but it still drops the nose in inverted a little more than I'd like. Probably will fly it a bit more before going any further, but will advise if/when I do.

ChiefK

Name:	Ge94515.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	1773542  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

Hey Cobra,

I'm glad someone else is putting a YS 2 stroke in their DB. Is yours a FS or FR? I'm going to put a 60FS in mine, and it should really haul the mail. Would you be so kind to add a few pics of your motor and pipe installation? I would greatly appreciate it .......

Thanks
    David
    Pipe on order. Old one was loud. Going with a quiet pipe this time. Will post pics once complete. Most likely another week or two before ready to fly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ChiefK
    I'm up to 2oz of weight at the tail now, but it still drops the nose in inverted a little more than I'd like. Probably will fly it a bit more before going any further, but will advise if/when I do.

ChiefK
    ChiefK,
    One quick question, if I may ask?? Is your CG as per manual?? I was flying my DB this past weekend and I was holding down elevator to keep her level. Also, did you add the weight in or outside the fuselage at the tail?? Thank for the info, Chiefk.
    BTW: Sweet picture of your DB upside down!!
    Thanks again!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

(Test Flight Report)

Take off was great with little effort. Balance was great and it flew very true and strait. IT was very smooth as well. The smoothest flyer I have had yet, and I am sure it was because it is electric. Very little vibration. It climbed with little effort and did not run out of steam until I was ready to let off the throttle. First flight was 5 minutes long. After landing the motor, ESC, and battery was cool and not even warM in the least bit. I had only used 1/4 of the battery and I was on the throttle a lot.

Second flight was 9 minutes long and I used 1/2 of the 4000 Mah battery. I had flown the whole SPA Expert routine and some, but I could tell the volts had started dropping and decreasing my verticals near the end (less Watts).

I would compare this set up to a 5-6 pound plane with an OS 91 4stroke on it.

The other thing is that when I got done I put the plane right in the vehicle and home I went. No cleaning, no wiping off oil and so on. No hauling around nitro fuel and so on. Its a wonderful life.

This is the hot set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Clark
    AMA 340037
    SPA 427

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm mounting a Saito FA-82 on mine, with a 12 oz. Kavan fuel tank. The fuel line is roughly 1/4" below the fuel nipple on the engine, and just a smidge above the center of the carb air intake (as shown). Any thoughts on fuel draw issues before we brace everything in place?

PJ

Name:	Mk27659.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	1775290  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kevin;
    Congrat on your maiden flight with your DB. Sound like you are happy and that's what count!!!
    I have to pickup two more when Tower have them back in-stock!!
    Again, congrat on your maiden and have many more good flight with her!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sonny,

I'm not sure exactly where the CG is supposed to be by plan... (I think, 7 inches from the trailing edge) just adjusting based on the way the DB is flying. Added another 1/4oz (total 2.25oz now), "stick-on" weight on the bottom of the stabilizer. I think it's real close to the way I want it to fly now. I'm going to leave it alone for a while. If you need down elevator for straight and level upright flight, I'd guess that you have an incidence issue. Make sure you don't have a servo cable or some other object preventing the wing from seating properly. Measure the incidence of the wing vs. the stabilizer. Should be zero-zero. If you're talking about straight and level inverted flight, then a small amount of down elevator is normal.

Thanks for your comment about the picture of inverted flight.

Has anyone besides me noted that the wing dowels at the leading edge are not glued in. Mine have become loose enough to twist and pull out! Since they appear to be nylon rather than wood, I'm not sure what kind of adhesive to use. I'm thinking maybe CA.

ChiefK

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PJ - I've got the same tank and setup for my 2-stroke .61. No fuel draw problems with 30-some flights on the airplane. You gonna be in Asheville next month? Barring some kind of disaster between now and then, I'll be there..

Greg
    (ChiefK)
    SPA444

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the encouragement, Greg I'm hoping to get this thing together in time to practice for the SPA event here in Chattanooga in August. I'm strictly "novice" at this point ... so don't have the "bug" to travel around the circuit yet. Mike Robinson is working with me (or on me?).

PJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CA glue may be safe for the nylon dowels, but the CA kicker will cause brittleness and weakness...tried it after reading thread on rcu about it,,scarey

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sonny,

I'm not sure exactly where the CG is supposed to be by plan... (I think, 7 inches from the trailing edge) just adjusting based on the way the DB is flying. Added another 1/4oz (total 2.25oz now), ''stick-on'' weight on the bottom of the stabilizer. I think it's real close to the way I want it to fly now. I'm going to leave it alone for a while. If you need down elevator for straight and level upright flight, I'd guess that you have an incidence issue. Make sure you don't have a servo cable or some other object preventing the wing from seating properly. Measure the incidence of the wing vs. the stabilizer. Should be zero-zero. If you're talking about straight and level inverted flight, then a small amount of down elevator is normal.

Thanks for your comment about the picture of inverted flight.

Has anyone besides me noted that the wing dowels at the leading edge are not glued in. Mine have become loose enough to twist and pull out! Since they appear to be nylon rather than wood, I'm not sure what kind of adhesive to use. I'm thinking maybe CA.

ChiefK
    Chiefk;
    Flew my DB today and had a blast!!! This baby take me back to the mid 70's when I had my first one. I just my have to pickup 2 more DB's wihen Tower has them back in-stock I also had the wing dowels not glue in. I use epoxy on the dowels with no problem.
    Again, thanks for the info.
    Have a great week!!
    Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Attended the SPA meet this past week in @ Hodges, 3 DB ARFs were in the mix. Jeff Owens won the Senior Expert, OS 61 SF pump, The DB really groved! Jeff had a lot to do with it also he's really good on the sticks. I ordered one but back ordered hope to get it soon. Pete
    the old saying in aviation is keep the dirty side down!; how Boring!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chattanooga is a little further than I want to drive. Asheville and Knoxville are probably going to be "IT" for me. I'm also flying "novice" and I'm really hoping to fly better than I did last year. Having an experienced "coach" should help you a lot. I've gotten some help this time around too. I think this "Birdy" is an excellent airplane, but I'm also currently building a replacement Deception fuselage to go with my salvaged Deception wing, stabilizer, rudder assembly and canopy.

ChiefK (Greg)

Name:	Ge96507.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	614.1 KB 
ID:	1775560  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is Jeff Owens on this RCU thread? I'd really like to know about his "trimming" process.

ChiefK

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greg, Jeff uses, Skylane. Pete
    the old saying in aviation is keep the dirty side down!; how Boring!

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast