Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dirty Birdy ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dirty Birdy ARF

Your posts however, are rather troll-ish as you bash away at the electric guys or attempt to divert the thread away from it's topic. What does RCM having an on-line magazine or producing anything have to do with the Dirty Birdy?
I stated that I did not like electric. I stated my reasons, I also stated that they should power the plane as they will. I did not recall that I ridiculed them for using electric.Perhaps that is bashing, but I did notbash a person.

I did not bring up the subject of RCM sombody else did. I did not bash RCM.I admit I took it a bit furtherfrom the topic. But that is the nature of conservation. Now if you please, talk about the subject matter instead of how you like the content of my posts, which btw is off topic.

Or talk about something else, it doesn't bother me, as long as they return to the subject.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Sport_Pilot

I have a Kaos that I have about 80% built.  Just need to glue the tail feathers on the fuse and cover.  Well actually I need to see if the wing I straightened out warped back to its original configuration.  I used a used wing jig, and found out the thing was not straight, not sure why the board it was on was straight, the ribs on correctly, but I guess the bracket was not right, or the steel rods not straight.  I straightened most of it buy building up the trailing edge and some of the leading edge and sanded opposite the warp.  This left the skin thin on one side and thick on the other so I also did some reinforcement, but still a bit warped.   I took the rest out by wighting with bricks and balast.  It was straight and was still straight a month or so later.  Hopefully will be straight again.

If not maybe when I can I will buy this ARF.  I have a HP Gold Cup I think that is about the same power as the Webra's mentioned earlier.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would anyone wan t to take a perfectly good airplane and change it to electric , my 1/4 scale i can fly 10 times on 1 charge with 15 minute flights i have 3000 mah NiMH 6.0vdc on my rx and 3000mah Nimh on my ignition , we have guys at the club they fly 10 minutes and charge for 45 min 1 flight per hr wow give me my nitro and gassers, you can have the electric as for me give me gassers. I do not like electrics do not want any electrics but you have the right to power them as you like , with gas and nitro you get more flights per day than 1 per hour, that is all i am saying!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Jon Wold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The video is up!
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1975.html

It looks like a million dollars when it flies inverted and sucks the gear in. I had to pre-order today as well. I always try sitting on my hands until the urge passes but today that just didn't happen. Now for the long wait!

I'm thinking a .91 would really make this plane come alive. Or maybe a .75, both have the same case after all. I have good experience with piped 61's but a .91 is more powerful, weighs the same or less and is the same size?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 PM
llindsey1965

JW i think a .91 would be just great and it sure would come alive , climb out of sight verticle at half throttle , i am going to look at one when it comes to the LHS i use to love to fly my DB with its 61 os with tuned pipeand spring air retracts was a super plane !!!!! hope they bring back some more like the TIPPO
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM
dphill2
My Feedback: (1)

After looking at the Manual My son placed an order for one !!!! Thats the best Manual I have ever seen for any Airplane .
They even have full size drawings to bend the retrack linkage !! From what Ive seen so far GP has done it Right ....

Dave...
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM
BuzzKill78

I have a Dirty Birdy ARF on the way. I plan on putting an OS61 SF in it. I've never flown a pattern plane like this before so I'm hoping that old 61 pulls this plane along. I may put a tuned pipe on it later, but will start with just a regular muffler, and see how that does. I'm thinking the tuned pipe should help to keep the nitro slime away from the plane.

Since I've never flown a pattern plane (EVER!) I don't know what all to expect. I'm a helicopter pilot who just happens to dabble with high-performance 3D planes.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:03 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,
Great Planes have all the info on their website now (at least I have not seen it until today) about the DB 60 ARF: http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1975.html
Many nice pictures etc.

/Bo
Old 04-13-2012, 05:48 PM
llindsey1965

DB will love the 61 and it is a very smooth and predictable plane , you will love it , it will go exactly where you point it and will hold whatever input you do , they were great planes back then glad to see them coming back

Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 PM
BuzzKill78

Would you rather:

Use a 61sf for this plane that's just sitting in a drawer not doing anything, or
Spend $220 on a new 75AX?

I've flown the 61 in a 40-size Sundowner and it did well. I don't know what to expect with a true 60-size plane.

(edited: fixed typo)
Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: BuzzKill78

Would you rather:

Use a 61FS for this plane that's just sitting in a drawer not doing anything, or
Spend $220 on a new 75AX?

I've flown the 61 in a 40-size Sundowner and it did well. I don't know what to expect with a true 60-size plane.

I'm confused. What is a .61FS? Is it a two-stroke or a four-stroke?

If it is an FS-61 four-stroke, I would not use it. The model will be grossly underpowered.

On the other hand, if it is a .61SF two-stroke, it would be perfect for this plane.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM
BuzzKill78

Sorry, I meant SF. It is an old 2-stroke engine from OS. It's an ABC engine.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Sorry, I meant SF. It is an old 2-stroke engine from OS. It's an ABC engine.

As I said previously, the .61SF would be a terrific choice for the Dirty Birdy. Sorry for the correction, but I just had to be sure that you weren't one of those guys that believes that a two-stroke and a four-stroke of the same size will produce similar power levels.

Ed, NM2K
Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 PM
rogera

One thing puzzles me, on all of the photos shown on the website, not one shows the needle valve, artistic license perhaps ?? Appears to be an OS 61 FX on the photos but as the engine is mounted sideways the needle valve would be out of the top of the cowl and quite clearly it is not there. The video does not show a close up of the cowl area.

However, none of this is going to stop me ordering one when available, quite a lot of hype for a plane not yet released. Good marketing job by Great Planes I would say.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Some folks refer to the .60 and .61 series OS FSR engines as just FS. They come as both ringed and non-ringed versions and have a bolt on front bearing housing. Some have argued that this is the best series of engines OS has ever produced. I believe they were the predecessor of the SF series. I would bet that a .61 FSR ringed version would haul this beauty around pretty well. That is IF the case would fit in that cowl. The FSR engines were pretty beefy.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Very nice plane ! Anybody knows where to buy one of these in the EU ?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 PM
BuzzKill78

ORIGINAL: vasek

ahoj vasek,

It's not even for sale yet in the United States. We will see it in a week or two.
For Czech Republic, contact

Pelikan Daniel
Doubravice 110
Pardubice 533 53
Telephone: +420 46-626-0133
Fax: +420 46-626-0132
E-mail: [email protected]

More international dealers listed[link=http://www.greatplanes.com/gpdist.html]HERE[/link]
Old 04-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Skylane
My Feedback: (3)

The OS 61 SF is a long stroke 61 which was popular in the 80s when turnaround pattern was calling for slower rpms and more torque and before the 120s became popular. The porting is optimized for rpms in the 11000 range. I have picked up 5 at Perry and off *bay in the past year and am using one on my Compensator. The engine is strong and pulls the 7 1/2 pound plane with authority. By this I mean that the maneuvers can be as big as I want - sometimes too big. At any rate, I have ordered a DB and figure that the SF (pumped or regular) will be perfect for it!

Jeff
Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 AM
Yak13
My Feedback: (17)

I finished assembly of a kit DB just two months ago. Novarossi 60 RE with pipe, electric e-flite retracts. I'm sort of a speed freak and like very fast pattern planes, so a few mods to the wing were made.

Flies awesome, and darn fast!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:06 AM
doxilia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pictures of the model and details of the wing modifications please...? [8D]

I was thinking this thread could benefit from some pictures and details of other Dirty Birdies. Whether ARF or built glass or wood models, they are DB's. Without wanting to detract from the value of classic pattern ARF's (I wish they were ARC's), I'm always surprised by the interest generated by them. The P7 thread is on the verge of being the most popular thread on the forum. It's a good thing I guess!

If... I were to put one together, I can see doing it with inexpensive equipment. I would likely sin and do it with cheap electric components (servos, rx, motor, esc and lipos). Maybe see if I can break the sound barrier with one before exploding the model through the shock wave...

David
Old 04-14-2012, 01:46 PM
edp
My Feedback: (5)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got back from the Toledo show and saw the DB in person. It looked OK. Not as good as the H9 Phoenix 7. I went upstairs to the swap shop and guy had a NIB original fiberglass and foam DB for $250.00. Their fuse. has a different profile than the kit one. I wish they didn't put on the screw on cowl and just pulled a regular fuse.. I'll be ordering some kits fro rcaiir.com this summer.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:38 PM
doxilia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rogera

One thing puzzles me, on all of the photos shown on the website, not one shows the needle valve, artistic license perhaps ?? Appears to be an OS 61 FX on the photos but as the engine is mounted sideways the needle valve would be out of the top of the cowl and quite clearly it is not there. The video does not show a close up of the cowl area.

However, none of this is going to stop me ordering one when available, quite a lot of hype for a plane not yet released. Good marketing job by Great Planes I would say.
The FX series from OS with displacements 60 and above have (had) removable high speed needle valves. They can be mounted wherever convenient. Smaller ones like the 25 FX had an integral needle to the backplate. Not the best design concept I'd say.

David
Old 04-14-2012, 10:59 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: vasek

ahoj vasek,

It's not even for sale yet in the United States. We will see it in a week or two.
For Czech Republic, contact

Pelikan Daniel
Doubravice 110
Pardubice 533 53
Telephone: +420 46-626-0133
Fax: +420 46-626-0132
E-mail: [email protected]

More international dealers listed[link=http://www.greatplanes.com/gpdist.html]HERE[/link]
Ahoj BK, thanks for the help! I knew about Pelikan, however, they do not import all of GP plane selection. DB is not listed on their site, thus my question. But it could still be early, I thought the plane was out already.

Cheers, V.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:16 AM
stuntflyr

ORIGINAL: hook57

Mark, I am LMAO at your post. I have tears running down my face!
Chris...
Old 04-15-2012, 11:53 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m assuming this thing is made in China, if not then my thoughts about it are wrong. What has always puzzled me about this one and most Chinese ARFs (besides the horrible quality) is that the manufacturers go to a bunch of work (at almost no cost because the Chinese workers work for free) and then they do goofy stuff like cutting the nose off and putting an ill-fitting cowl on the front. That’s just one example of many. If it doesn’t cost anything to make it why not spend five minutes more do it right or is that impossible in China.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.