Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dirty Birdy ARF

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:34 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dirty Birdy ARF

I've run the APC vs Rev Up on my Tipo with the 61FSR and the APC has more pitch than the Rev Up per advertisement on the prop (Rev Up has less pitch than it's marked).
The APC made a huge difference in the thrust of the FSR so I've stuck with it. I have an 11x7 APC on it, it pulls better than the Rev Up 11x7 3/4.
I've been flying at moderate speeds and the pipe is a little long on the FSR, so I don't think I break 100 mph when diving out of a reverse cuban. But then I'm usually pretty far behind it anyway! I also use a lot of throttle management because I only have a 12 oz tank.
I'd like to try a Falcon prop, where does one get one?
Chris...
Old 07-05-2013, 02:14 PM
dphill2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

SMT Distributing has them ! send me your address on a PM and I'll see if I can Hook ya up with some !

Dave
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: mjduet

In reference to the comments by BEM and DPHILL2, I too wish that some of the ARF's were offered as a RTC/F(ready to cover/finish) product.

Morris
if they would sell well manufactures would offer them.
Historically, the RTC ARF'S sit for a long time and the market share is so small that it would be a space filler at the warehouse because no one would purchase them

Perhaps S.P.A. TYPES would do well with RTC models rue to there pattern building Hx.

Isn't there a kit that is sheeted and fiberglassed? Perhaps the fuse glasses only?

The monokote comes off very easy, if it hasn't been shrunk once received.
But if you have a worker in China turn there cloths iron (that is what they use with large planes)
Wide open, it will not separate the glue paint / clear sheet covering...once that happens it is a real smack down.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow this thread sure died suddenly after going so strong.

I just ordered one after humming and hawing about it for a year. The deciding factor was I pulled my old Speed 61 ABC out of a box after it sat unused for the last 22 years. It was never stored properly and was all gummed up. I pulled it apart and cleaned it. I used BBQ grill cleaner, the stuff works like magic. The engine was bought new in the 80's and was only mounted on one plane that met it's demise after only about a dozen flights. Looking at the sleeve and the piston I see it wasn't even broke in yet. The bearings of course were toast and I have new ones on the way. The carb was seized solid but I got it freed up and rebuilt as well. I had to order two new o rings for it. To be safe I am calling to order a new Perry carb for it today, just in case I have problems with the stock one. Otherwise the engine looks like new with only a couple marks on it from the wrap around clamp from the muffler and the marks from mounting it in a plane. For some reason I am really looking forward to running this ole girl back up again. I know she used to really scream. My original plan was to put it in a stick and use the OS 75 in the DB but after reading this thread I would be better to use the Speed 61 as it is 6 ounces lighter with muffler than the 75. It scales in at just 20.4 oz with muffler.
As for the build I am using some digital 3151 servos and Robart air retracts and will try and keep the weight down where I can. I had a set of E flte retracts but will not use them after all the problems I have been reading about them on multiple forums.
As for the engine here is how it looks now, I wish I would have taken some before pictures as it was a real mess.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 AM
tomfiorentino

The reason why you are looking forward to it is because its simply fun!

The 50cc big stuff is great. But there is something to be said for throwing a trusty 60 sized plane in the car and burning some holes in the sky. Heck...sometimes you can even leave the wing on them and "keep it in the car on Monday because you're flying again on Wednesday"!

I got the Phoenix and while I have had much retract trouble...it flies beautifully.

Great job cleaning up the Speed 61 and you will have a dynamite combination on your hands! Wishing you lots and lots of flights; good luck with your project!

Tom

PS I'm converting my Robart air retracts with the Robart electric kits that are out now. Sorry to hear you had trouble with the Eflights...
Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 AM
keithtsr
My Feedback: (3)

I am having a lot of fun with both of my Dirty Birds. Back in the 70's a ran nothing but Speed 61's with the TN carbs.

I would suggest keeping everything simple to keep the fun factor up. I'm running Eflight retracts in one, rubber mounted, and they work great. The other one I'm running Rhom's and they work just as good.
Take your time putting the DB together and it will be a ton of fun!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 AM
doxilia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by keithtsr
I am having a lot of fun with both of my Dirty Birds. Back in the 70's a ran nothing but Speed 61's with the TN carbs.

I'm running Eflight retracts in one, rubber mounted, and they work great.
Keith,

I'd be interested in seeing some CU shots of your E-Flite retract mounting. I'm considering them in a trike installation but also am leary with all the bad press on the nose gear especially.

Also, how's the Speed 61 running on the tach? Have you any figures (prop, plug, fuel, rpm, pipe?) I have a bored out Speed 61 (an 80) which I'm considering on a slightly larger 60 size classic. The 80's will likely have to turn 13" props although it might just do fine on a pitched 12" prop. Have you ever run a Speed 80 or a 90?

David
Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 AM
keithtsr

Hey David,
On the E-Flite retracts all I did was cut rubber strips, about 1/4" thick and used a touch of silicone to hold them in place.

I haven't run a Speed 61 in over 40 years. The first 3 or 4 of them had 15mm crank shafts and they would snap on anything other than a rich run. They replaced them with 17mm cranks and they worked much better. I ran all of them with Mac's pipes and used Rev-up 11x7 1/4. Now if memory is working correctly the would tach around 13k. As I moved into the 80's I ran OPS redheads then to Super Tiger X61, Enya 61.......OS FSR, Rossi then to YS.

I'm running nothing but Rossi Speed 13's now.

Oh yea, I have quite a few flight on the E-Flites and there are still working.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM
helisrme

Hi Doxilia, I was in the thread w/you and some others back last year or two ago on the topic of "MK Curare 60" plans that you had avail. for downloading. Do you still have the file including full size plans, templates and building instructions and have ability to shoot it to my email adr.? I would rather build a MK Curare 60 due to the ARF out there does not have the correct dive brakes that open on leading edge of flap "inverted reversed split flap". The ARF uses radio programming to do the near same thing w/o all the trouble of building correctly.... They use outside vendor to build their ARF wings w/o attention to scale details which KILLS the Deal for me. 100% ole school MK Curare 60 is what I want. Happy New Year!!! Please send plans/attachments to [email protected] Thanks a million, Kenny Johnson
Old 01-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Super08

David I am foggy on what rpm mine ran as well but I did find a handy chart on the Mac website that shows rpm readings for a list of side and rear exhaust engines with no exhaust and with a pipe. The Webra Speed 61F is shown as well as the rear exhaust version.

It is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.macspro.com/tuning.asp
Old 01-06-2014, 04:57 PM
dooleyje

I went with an OS.61FS new in box. I found the DB to be nose heavy requiring some tail weight to get it the way I like it. I used the small stock tank and almost enough fuel for the old masters schedule. Super airplane. OOPS forgot to say ​ am using 15% with Falcon 11x8 prop.

Jim
Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 PM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Hello All. I was just wondering if anyone has had trouble with the stock landing gear blocks? On take off last week, right when I pulled up on the elevator the left block came out and took out half of my stab. bummer. I was running a Moki 61 LS turning a APC 11x9 at 12400rpm. Didn't have to add any tail weight. Very nice flying combination.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 PM
keithtsr

Mine pulled out on a touch and........not so go. They use pretty sub standard wood here.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Super08

Here is something to give your views on. If my Speed 61 doesn't pan out (which it should) which would you use and why? A new HP61 Gold Cup, RJL K61 (Kraft) or a new OS 65AX? Which would give the best performance on a Macs peace pipe style muffler not a pipe?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 PM
keithtsr

I have owned ever engine up except the OS. Unless you already own them my pick would be a NovaRossi. A lot of power for the money. I bought mine with the pipe and header for right around the price of the OS.

The HP 61 and Kraft 61 are 70's-early 80's technology. They are good engines but not in the league of the NovaRossi.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Super08

My only concern with the NovaRossi is the weight, it is over a 100 grams heavier than any of the others. Many have had problems with this kit coming out nose heavy as it is and I am adding retracts as well.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:17 PM
keithtsr

I have 2 DB, both have NovaRossi Speed 13 and both came out a little nose heavy. The Rossi's are a little heaver but to me worth a little tail weight to me. The price is right, the power is awesome and they look cool.lol

Both of mine have retracts as well....I have no idea what they weigh. They are fast, they track very well and I can do a 500' loop, ok, that's a guess, and has stupid power doing a figure M. Both of mine really do have unlimited vertical and neither engine is broken in.

Last edited by keithtsr; 01-07-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 PM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

anyone have a horizontal stabilizer set for sale for the Dirty Birdy ARF?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:55 PM
dphill2

I'm flying this DB with a NovaRossi R60F with a stock Header and pipe, has spring air RT and 1 1/2 oz lead on the tail !! It's one of the best ARF's I have flown right out of the box and the Nova Rossi has all the power I can use ! Great combo....

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cpa fla 010_2.JPG
Views:	1075
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	1955258  
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM
keithtsr

Hey Dave....is that an electric starter? I think I have one around here somewhere but I don't need it with the NovaRossi.lol

Both engines fire right up.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Super08

Originally Posted by dphill2

I'm flying this DB with a NovaRossi R60F with a stock Header and pipe, has spring air RT and 1 1/2 oz lead on the tail !! It's one of the best ARF's I have flown right out of the box and the Nova Rossi has all the power I can use ! Great combo....

Dave.
Good info, by all the reports earlier in the thread it sounded like the nose heavy thing was much more of a problem. Only 1.5 oz in the tail is nothing.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 PM
dphill2

Yeah, that an Electric starter and after our CPA contest @ Mac Hodges this year I'll be using it more ! I got 8 stiches in my finger from a APC prop starting them the old school way. Hey don't get me wrong I'll start any of them with my hand but not with a APC on it...

On the weight thing, I also moved my battery as far back in the fuse as I could get it, and strapped it in with Velcro tape.
The elevator and the rudder servos are in the stock location, with out fuel the airplane will rock back on the tail and stay..

Dave
Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 PM
keithtsr

Your more of a man than me, I use a chicken stick. When these engines are new they can kick like a mule and cut like my wife when she is PO at me....which is most of the time!

At some point I will probably get a starter. Everything works perfect until you go to a contest.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:46 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

I use a new-old OS61SF long stroke with an 11-10 prop. Macs saves me four ounces in the nose. Electric retracts from Hobby King @ $9 each with Top Flite struts. Wonderful flier, fast, ballistic vertical. Model Airplane News web page printed an article on it. Love this plane. -- Tony

Name:	5b.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1955352   Click image for larger version

Name:	6b.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	685.6 KB
ID:	1955353   Click image for larger version

Name:	9b.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1955354  
Old 01-08-2014, 07:44 AM
dphill2

This is the same airplane with a muffler that I flew in an SPA contest last year !! Just left the gear down and flew the plane like it was fix gear. After getting use to seeing the gear down the DB did its job. I have no complaints with this airplane in the way it fly's

Dave

Name:	masters13 010_2.JPG
Views:	1629
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	1955412  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.