Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Is there a resource comparing SPA type planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Is there a resource comparing SPA type planes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Is there a resource comparing SPA type planes?

I know that setup and power make a big difference in how planes fly, but I'd love to see a general reference for the differences between various SPA legal planes. I am flying a Kaos now and I love it, but if I could improve my scores by going to a different design I'd make the investment.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 AM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is there a resource comparing SPA type planes?

Joe Bridi (who designed the Kaos), once asked himself the same question you are now asking. His answer was the "Super Kaos". Then after a couple of years, Joe wanted to push the envelope further and designed an even better Pattern Plane. It was streamlined and fast...ideal for retracts and piped engines. Joe named it the "Dirty Birdy". It was, and still is, one of the best "Pattern Planes" of all time. The DB is still available as a kit. Fly it....you will love it.
Best Regards
JC (FASSTFLIER)
Old 05-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Bruce Underwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jester s1 (Only name I could come up with) sorry, I am not familiar with "handles".

I just wanted to suggest you post your question to the Senior Pattern Association Discussion List at:
[email protected]

You'll probably get lots pf answers there. Join up with us, we'll be glad to have you.

Bruce Underwood SPA L15
[email protected]
Guntersville, AL 35976

On the circuit last weekend in Cullman were KAOS, A6 INTRUDERS, DADDY RABBITS, TIGERTAILS, DIRTY BIRDIES
and others.

Bet you had a lot of good ones at the Fort Worth contest last Saturday.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:57 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

JCinTexas,

Not to derail this thread, but I presume that you're talking about the DB60 on the Bridiplanes website. Do you know if it is set up for retracts?

Thanks for letting me ask the question, now back to the main thread,

Bob
Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I missed the event Bruce because I had to send my radio in for service and it didn't get back in time. I've been working on the novice sequence with a Tower Kaos and am enjoying the challenge. In our club though, the various Kaos versions are very popular, as is the Dirty Birdy and Goldberg Skylarks.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM
JCINTEXAS

Bob,
I don't know if the Bluejay Dirty Birdy kit is set up for retracts. Here is the contact info so you can get your answer direct from the source: tel. 308.276.2322 [email protected]
Best regards
JC

Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Skylane
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Blue Jay kit has a built up wood wing. The ribs are cut for fixed gear mounting, but one could easily install ply mounting plates for retracts.

Jeff
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

The plans for the DB kit show fixed gear but there is a brief discussion of setting up for trike, tail dragger or retracts. There is also a thread or two here that show in detail where people have installed retracts. It's an all wood kit, you build it like you want.

Dave
Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks a lot. I don't want to divert the thread, but thanks for answering the question. I'll be in contact with the vendor. I just thought that someone here might be building that kit and had firsthand knowledge.

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 05-05-2012, 05:22 PM
sehlers

Bruce ,
In Fort Worth we had Several Koas' , I think a half dozen Phoenix 7's , 1 - Mach 1 , a “Real” Dirty Birdy ((Glass Fuse )) ,a Compensator , 2- Curares ,
a couple Intruders ,a Skylark , a Sig Cobra , and Ron's Personal Tiger Tail ,now owned by Ellis Newkirk .