Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Southern R/C bootlegger plan

Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Southern R/C bootlegger plan

I came on here to read about an old favorite plane not childish behavior once again so I recall why I stopped flying pattern years ago.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Roguedog

It freekin amazes me that the most ardent memebers of the CPAlack the self-controlto not bomb a thread with bull. This shortsidedness and lack of composure iis exactly why I would not want to join the CPA. Especially after several of their most activemembers lack thejudgementto not participate in the immature childish behavior andlack of self control they have shown in the recent posts.

Who would want to participate inthat typeof organization when even the ardent members have sucha thin skin andget butt hurt oversomeone like me.It'salmost unbelievable.

I love these planes and Bootlegger is no exception. But these guys have to win at the expense of everyone else and to the dismise of potentionally newpeople and the alienation of current enthusiasts just so they can, what, they win the arguement? Feel better about themselves? Prove they're right? Who knows.

It's obivious to me that the CPA exists to polish the ego's ofit's powers to be. It's there way or the highway any reasonalbe person would not participate in the bashing another enthusiast but not these guys.

Childish is the correct word for it. I'm starting to think that CPA stands for Childish People Association the way the ardent members posting here have acted. It also occurs to me that it seems the main purpose of the members is bash those that don't drinkthe posioned cool-aid. or get in line and follow suit and agree that they hold the moral highground.

I have not abandedmy Bootlegger project and will follow through with what I said I plan to do with the friuts of it regardless of what others think, do,and want me to do.

Bryan Hester

Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heck Ron,
I'm as shocked as anyone. I went on a week of classic car stuff, Saturday to the AMA Convention, the usual Sunday stuff (not including afternoon flying because it's so cold here), and a buddy says RCU's blowing up!
Oh well, I bought a MIB DMECO kit of the Perigee at the Convention for a smoking price and I'm singing Kumbaya.
Peace and Love, everyone.
Chris...
Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Skylane
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: doxilia

and so designs evolve... I also wonder why the Bootlegger, Compensator & Deception all share a very similar, if not identical, airfoil. Did Kimbro share this airfoil with them? I believe his design came before the others if memory serves (~1979?). Maybe Kimbro could share some light on the subject if he happens to check in.

Actually, the Compensator preceded the Deception. In his construction article Jim Kimbro stated that he adopted the Compensator airfoil for the Deception because he liked its flying characteristics. He also discussed his decision to alter the wing planform by sweeping the leading edge back more then the trailing edge is swept forward in order to improve the balance between looping and rolling maneuvers. As far as the Bootlegger is concerned, Steve Helms lived in Pensacola at the time and flew frequently with the pattern fliers in the Florida panhandle region. Rhett Miller (designer of the Compensator) was a protege of Jim Kirkland's (Kirkland lived in the Fort Walton area and Miller in Tallahassee) so Rhett often practiced at fields in the Fort Walton area. So it is not a surprise to see design influences in models that came from that area. There was a lot of pattern activity in the stretch between Pensacola and Tallahassee back then.

Jeff
Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Arrowair

I am about to start building a Bootlegger + 10% for a K&B 100 r/e. The plan I have shows a 0/0/0 set up of thrustline/wing/tail incidence and no side thrust. Is this correct please?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Roguedog

Arrowair,

That's a good starting point. After it's together and flying use one of these Flight Trimming Guides

[ATTACH]1930648[/IMG]
[ATTACH]1930649[/IMG]
[ATTACH]1930650[/IMG]
[ATTACH]1930651[/IMG]

to dial it in.

Bryan
Old 05-25-2015, 04:02 PM
bcrc
My Feedback: (19)

I have a nearly new ready-to-fly Bootlegger for sale at RCU:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...741&electric=0